Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    Does Star Trek make good bikes?
    On the Holodeck, any bike you want!
    "On long training rides, never use energy greater than you would use walking. You should arrive home fresh, not beaten up."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    And cyclists pay all the same taxes as everyone else.
    Considering most also have cars. And ride bikes that cost more than some cars. Cyclists probably pay more tax.
    See, the thing is that us bikers use bike lanes with our bikes and car lanes with our cars. Non bike rider car users don't use bike lanes but they have to help pay for them.

It could be argued that us bike riders reduce traffic congestion but it is more likely the other way around. The point is that we all need to pay for the services and infrastructure we use. The mention of this concept can cause diarrhea in certain people

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    See, the thing is that us bikers use bike lanes with our bikes and car lanes with our cars. Non bike rider car users don't use bike lanes but they have to help pay for them.

It could be argued that us bike riders reduce traffic congestion but it is more likely the other way around. The point is that we all need to pay for the services and infrastructure we use. The mention of this concept can cause diarrhea in certain people
    right. So we obviously need to tax shoes because sidewalks are the same.

And of course there needs to be a tax for entering any town or state you don't live in if you want to use their local roads.

I don't know where you got the idea that we all need to pay taxes for the services and infrastructure we use. Taxes payers to pay for things.
    Great idea though......let's start slapping kids with a tax because I'm not using elementary schools.

RoadBikeReview Member

most avid cyclists I know are high income folks who pay much higher taxes than the average driver. and taxes for infrastructure doesn't much come from tax on cars, licenses and car tires, it comes from a bunch of tax sources, including income taxes, municipal taxes which everyone pays. I know I pay several times as much tax put towards roads out of my income as the average driver does (even though I put about 2400 miles/ yr on my pickup, and 3000 miles/yr on my road bike)
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 08-03-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    most avid cyclists I know are high income folks who pay much higher taxes than the average driver. and taxes for infrastructure doesn't much come from tax on cars, licenses and car tires, it comes from a bunch of tax sources, including income taxes, municipal taxes which everyone pays. I know I pay several times as much tax put towards roads out of my income as the average driver does (even though I put about 2400 miles/ yr on my pickup, and 3000 miles/yr on my road bike)
    Exactly, I agree!

Congrats on putting more miles on your bike than on your car!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    right. So we obviously need to tax shoes because sidewalks are the same.

And of course there needs to be a tax for entering any town or state you don't live in if you want to use their local roads.

I don't know where you got the idea that we all need to pay taxes for the services and infrastructure we use. Taxes payers to pay for things.
    Great idea though......let's start slapping kids with a tax because I'm not using elementary schools.
    We do tax shoes and tires and everything else. We tax the corporations who make these items, the stores that sell them, and the buyer who buys them. Federal and state tax is a way of distributing services to local government to help provide services to citizens of all localities.

The question relates to disproportionality. While us cyclists pay for fishing licenses, car licenses, etc., we believe that we should make no specific contribution to bike paths and bike lanes? We are so special, that other people should pay for infrastructure that is specific to our sport and fitness goals?

If we expect to have a voice in cycling related government issues we need to drop the ARPB (arrogant road bike prick) attitudes and start helping with both the costs and maintenance of bike paths and the costs of bikes lanes. Showing respect to drivers who go out of their way to accommodate us at crossings and in other situations would also go a long way to give us some credibility.
    Last edited by SwiftSolo; 08-04-2018 at 07:18 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't use bike lanes. There are none around here. Bikes in all states are legally considered vehicles and entitled to use the road.
    Would you argue that tractors,horse and buggies, and joggers should pay extra use tax too?

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo
    It could be argued that us bike riders reduce traffic congestion but it is more likely the other way around.
    Anything can be argued. Doesn't make it valid.
    Properly designed bike lanes decrease traffic,accidents, and increase safety. It's a known fact.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The question relates to disproportionality.

What question? I think you mean your belief does. And if you have a problem with use not being directly proportional with taxes paid......you are in effect saying you believe things like income tax should be based in part on miles driven, all high tax paying cyclists who don't drive a car should be getting a massive refund, tourists should be getting a tax bill when the leave if they have set foot on a sidewalk, and on an on.

It's not about being special. It's about the fact that communities decide where tax money goes and it's just a simple fact that not everyone is going to use everything.
    You happen to think we need to target taxes based on use. Fine. Going to be some hefty taxes on pencils in your world to take care of those kids who think they are special using public schools without paying their specific contribution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    We do tax shoes and tires and everything else. We tax the corporations who make these items, the stores that sell them, and the buyer who buys them. Federal and state tax is a way of distributing services to local government to help provide services to citizens of all localities.
    Good, then everything is already covered; no reason for an additional tax on tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo
    If we expect to have a voice in cycling related government issues we need to drop the ARPB (arrogant road bike prick) attitudes and start helping with both the costs and maintenance of bike paths and the costs of bikes lanes.
    As you mentioned, we're already paying for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12