Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Light hitch-mount rack for road and MTB?

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  chandne 
#1 ·
I bought a 1-1/4" receiver hitch so I could carry two road (carbon frames) or MTBs (29ers) with a Mazda Miata. I'm looking for a light rack, will probably need to be a wheel tray type, due to sloping top tubes. Any recommendations?

#6 ·
Love my SportsWorks Transporter 2 (the now Thule T2).

Great rack for being sturdy, reliable, with the ability to lock the bike (road or mtn, even 29ers) with ease and confidence.

Sucks if you need more than 2 bikes, at their adapter is just as heavy for 4 bikes.

#7 ·
We sell the Hollywood brand "Sportrider" (which looks identical to the one posted above) that comes in a 2 Bike 1 1/4" model at around the $200 price point. The new one has a nifty ratcheting mechanism for the "hold down" arms. The wheel trays will easily hold wide 29'er tires and beach cruisers.

Performance has a knockoff of it for cheaper but last I looked it was kind of cheesy without the improved hold down arms.

#11 ·
I have a hidden hitch on my Miata with an adapter to 2" receiver. I use an aluminum generic cargo tray (like to hold a cooler for tailgating), and put a fork mount on one end. Perfect length for the road bike, rear tire rests on the oppiste end. Doesn't damage my carbon frame. Front wheel sits in the passenger seat, or it could sit on the back deck with the top down.

I could put a second fork mount on for another bike.

There may be a similar tray for 1-1/4 receiver.

#12 ·
Good idea; I like it. I just got the Hard Dog hidden hitch in the mail, and will mount it this weekend. I'm also considering just getting an aluminum C-channel to attach to the draw-bar, that would run parallel to the bumper, and attaching the fork mount to one end. I imagine I could also get a front wheel holder attached to the the draw bar or channel, too.

#17 ·
T2 all the way for most cars. I have owned the Saris Cycle On and the Kuat NV. Along with the Yakima Holdup (which I have not owned) these are the best and sturdiest racks. The NV sits high so good for lower cars. The Yakima is somewhat high too but has major rust issues. Avoid the Saris- sticks out way to far and sits really low....you will scrape the bar.

For a lower car, focus on the Yakima and Kuta. Edge goes to the Kuat. I know they fit 29er tires easily. My new Saris did not fit at all- arms have been designed with a stopper and the stopper prevented it from fitting my 29er 2.0 or 2.2 tires.

The Yakima rep was not sure if it fit and asked me to deflate my tires each time- get the eff outta here...WTH is that all about.

In conclusion- I love the T2. The arms are a bit tight but fit every 29er out there. The NV sits higher and is a sweet rack (though expensive) with many cool features. The T2 is cheaper, as light, and has proven itself to me over the last five years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.