RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Light suggestions on forks???

I want to put lights on my forks, so I can be seen by cars from the side, especially at intersections. I was looking at the Planet Bike Superflash turbo taillight, but I'm not sure if it has mounts so I can put them on my forks. Plus, I'm concerned of the side visibility, that it might annoy or blind me as well.

Sorry, no LED wheel lights and I don't want to put LED rope lights on my bike and make it look like a christmas tree or something.
    Last edited by ecub; 12-08-2011 at 11:15 PM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Serfas Seat Stay Light
    the best light for the job ultra bright and doesn't require any mounting brackets
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his
    level and beat you with experience.
    http://surlybikes.com/blog/2514/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Nice. I've seen those before, but never knew what brand/model they were.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    I want to put lights on my forks, so I can be seen by cars from the side, especially at intersections. I was looking at the Planet Bike Superflash turbo taillight, but I'm not sure if it has mounts so I can put them on my forks. Plus, I'm concerned of the side visibility, that it might annoy or blind me as well.

Sorry, no LED wheel lights and I don't want to put LED rope lights on my bike and make it look like a christmas tree or something.
    many people put Superflash on seatstays - is that what you mean, instead of fork? I think superflash has some pretty good visibility from the sides. Blinding effects for any AA-battery style lights are way off the mark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I prefer to put them on the front forks, since they, besides the wheels, are the first parts of the bike that is visible when approaching the intersection. I prefer lights without the 180 degree visibility, becuase it means, I will see it as well. I already use Cateye TLD1100 as a rear safety light.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I commuted for 20 years, 36 mi. round trip, half of which was done entirely in the dark. I had, what I thought was a very nice combo of lights, reflectors, clothing. I always had 2 lights, head & tail lights. If it were me, and I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, I'd put reflective tape on the fork blades instead of lights. I think reflectors would be less confusing to motorists than lights placed there, whether blinking or solid. In fact I think in many instances riders are better off riding with more reflectors, fewer lights. Actually, IMO/IME the very best thing I've seen for the purpose you describe (get ready to flame me as a Fred) are the curved reflectors that come with the bike that fit between the spokes; white in front/red in rear. I used an excellent headlight & tail light, but the rest was reflective stuff.

IIRC, in 20 years on the trip to work in the darkness, I may have had 4-5 of what I would term "close calls." The trip home in daylight averaged a close call every week or 2. I'm retired & no longer ride at night. My eyes aren't good enough anyway. I sold all my lights.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    I commuted for 20 years, 36 mi. round trip, half of which was done entirely in the dark. I had, what I thought was a very nice combo of lights, reflectors, clothing. I always had 2 lights, head & tail lights. If it were me, and I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, I'd put reflective tape on the fork blades instead of lights. I think reflectors would be less confusing to motorists than lights placed there, whether blinking or solid. In fact I think in many instances riders are better off riding with more reflectors, fewer lights. Actually, IMO/IME the very best thing I've seen for the purpose you describe (get ready to flame me as a Fred) are the curved reflectors that come with the bike that fit between the spokes; white in front/red in rear. I used an excellent headlight & tail light, but the rest was reflective stuff.

IIRC, in 20 years on the trip to work in the darkness, I may have had 4-5 of what I would term "close calls." The trip home in daylight averaged a close call every week or 2. I'm retired & no longer ride at night. My eyes aren't good enough anyway. I sold all my lights.
    You sir, have been flagged for making inappropriate comments. :P j/k

I do have reflective tape. It's just I want to have some kind of lights to draw attention to me. Reflective tape is good at almost direct line sight, and the driver may/may not have time to react. Yes, I'm a little overly cautious.

Unfortunately, my Madone and Top Fuel didn't come with reflectors.on the wheels. My Trek 8.5 DS does have the reflectors on the wheels, which I haven't removed. But I still would like to have some kind of light.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Knog frogs

RoadBikeReview Member
    You could wrap the forks and frame with some LED or electroluminescent strips. That would stand out. And throw in a couple valve cap lights for good measure.
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

Quit upgrading & ride!
    Be very careful when fitting anything to your forks, in fact just don't do it!

When I was a kid I put a front light on my forks & 5 miles later it slid into my wheel, sending me head first onto the tarmac. Straight to hospital & lots of sutures.
    Put me back on my bike

HSBIKES.COM
    Not quite a fork mount but interesting design IMO Tacx Lumos.
    Tacx Lumos - YouTube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat 3 boy View Post
    Be very careful when fitting anything to your forks, in fact just don't do it!

When I was a kid I put a front light on my forks & 5 miles later it slid into my wheel, sending me head first onto the tarmac. Straight to hospital & lots of sutures.
    Never thought it would fall, but thanks for the heads up. I'd probably tape it to make sure it's secure.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2