RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Lights on handlebar and helmet

Does it work better to aim the helmet light further down the road, or the other way around?

If one of the lights is capable to be brighter should it be mounted on the helmet or the bar?

RoadBikeReview Member
    if you ask me, just try both and see what you like best.

but my suggestion is that the brighter should be on the helmet in your range of vision and the dimmer one should act more as a safety light to BE seen on the bars.

Make sure you have a good red safety light on your seat stay or seat post
    Bikes:
    Felt F95 2011: my main road ride

Jamis Dragon 29 Sport 2011: my main MTB(Steel is Real)

Raleigh Record 1976: Single speed in the making

Possible Fuji cross frame I might get... and paint...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist View Post
    Does it work better to aim the helmet light further down the road, or the other way around?
    ?
    I like aiming the bike light further down the road, so oncoming vehicles can see me easier. I aim the helmet light just a little ahead of the bike, so I can see if there are any road hazards.

If one of the lights is capable to be brighter should it be mounted on the helmet or the bar?
    I prefer having the brighter light on the bike, since it would have a heavier battery. I don't want my helmet feeling heavy.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Helmet lights drive me nuts. If I was going to put a light on my helmet I would use a very a dim one. Maybe even one that didn't work at all.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Hanging 10 bra
    You NEED BOTH! Ask me how I know! LOL I love my helmet mounted light, as you can shine on cross traffic to let them know you are here. However, you NEED something on the bars to shine on the road ahead. I had a cheapo flashlight type light on the bars with my helmet mount shining at a car coming from a cross road......well I didnt see a log in the middle of the road (it was a dark object and looked like a patch on the road), well I flipped end over end at 26mph and got some good road rash, chipped hip bone and banged up body. So, although the helmet mount is great, you truly need something on the bars that show what is directly in front, just in case you move your head around. Oh and I think the brighter of the lights should be on the bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My reasoning is lighter, but less powerful front and rear light on helmet set to flashing for safety 'be seen' purpose and heavier, more powerful light on bars to see down the road. I also run a rear light on seat bag. My light set up is more expensive than my bike, but my safety is way more important than my bike. I must be breaking at least one of those stupid "rules".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

It depends on what you prefer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like to wear the lighter, less bright light on my helmet because it's more comfortable for riding and my helmet light is mainly to alert drivers not to pull in front of me as well as a backup if my main light/battery goes dead. My more powerful light goes on the handlebar, where it's closer to my bottle cage where I store the battery. As far as which light is aimed farther, just play around with them and see which set up you like best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No doubt. No question. You have GOT to have a very bright on the bar. And NOT point too far down the road. That just diminishes what you'll see. Just set it far enough out that you can react at 30mph.

With a bright light on the bar, you have a constant illuminated view of where you're going - you'll see things via this light even if you glance away, e.g. looking up, side to side... just like you do in the car. Using the bright light on the helmet requires you to keep your head pointed forward at all times. Not ideal.

I don't use a helmet light for road riding (do have a blinky red on the back of the helmet and seat post). They're great for mountain biking where you'll look around corners, down switchbacks, etc. Not necessary on the road.

If I had to use one on the helmet, I'd want it only bright enough to be seen but NOT cast a visible beam. I really don't want that waving, shadow casting beam interfering with the bar-mounted light.

I average 75 miles a week with a group of 6-10 guys. We ride a tight pace line (hard pace) and everyone's very comfortable with only the bar-mounted lights. I'd have to add - if you ride in a group in the dark, I'd strongly suggest you not use a bright helmet light. They are very unnerving for the for riders in front of you - causes shadows to "swerve" all over the place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    for riding alone I really like the light and motion 360 setup, it is great for commuting etc. battery is in the red light mounted on the rear of helmet, short cord to small but bright headlight mounted on front of helmet. light weight but bright light. for riding in traffic it is good to have lights up high, above small cars anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I don't use a helmet light for road riding (do have a blinky red on the back of the helmet and seat post). They're great for mountain biking where you'll look around corners, down switchbacks, etc. Not necessary on the road.
    While one is always entitled to a different opinion, I'd completely disagree with this statement. My opinion is that from a safety standpoint a front mounted flashing helmet headlight is perhaps even more important than the rear mounted one. I've found that apparently even a very bright solid headlight can get lost with other background lights when viewed from a vehicle. This seems particularly true with those cars making a rolling stop right turn in front of you. However a flashing headlight says bicycle and one mounted on the helmet is more noticeable than one on the handlebars. It's just one person's point of view, but I think a front mounted helmet light is a necessity for on the road. I think most riders take safety too lightly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I really like the helmet light, I can read the data on my bike computer and when I look back I can also see which cog I am on.

I just tried to use the helmet light as the further one, but I had to tilt it up too much. so maybe switch it around is better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Handful of distinctions here - solo or group; your ability to see - your ability to be seen.

No doubt, a blinking light on your head will help you be seen. For that matter, a spinning firetruck-style light on your head will be even better. The more, the better. The brighter, the better. I think that part - being seen - is pretty obvious.

But which is better to see with, I guess that's subjective. I like a fixed, bar-mounted light. Opinions vary.

PoorCyclist - do you ride solo? If you ride with a group, get their feedback... the helmet-mounted lights really can be annoying behind you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    On my commuter I ride with the brighter light on the handle bar and the brighter red light on the seat post. On my helmet I have a blinking white light facing forward and a blinking red light on the back of my helmet. I like the helmet lights so I can be seen above most cars.

banned
    Dec 2011
    I'd keep the bright one on the handlebars and the dimmer one as a lighthouse. My niterider has a loose enough clamp so that it can rotate up and down and the mount can spin, for exact placement. I usually push the light down for oncoming traffic then back up again when it gets dark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Catseyes are great

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    And a specialized helmet, - very light and decent price

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    IMHO, a helmet mounted light with a tight spot beam is mandatory for your safety during night time rides. The reason is simple: you can point it anywhere you aim your head. I honestly believe that my helmet mounted light saved my life one evening because I was able to put the spot right on a driver's face which caused him to hit the brakes just before he was about to run me over with his SUV despite the two PB Superflashes blinking away on the back of me and my bike. It doesnt need to be terribly bright due to the tighter beam. As a main headlight, brighter is better because it's used to identify road hazards and the faster you ride the more light you need. Aiming it out to the horizon is not necessarily needed as any light will stand out against the darkness and the fact that you have a higher mounted helmet light identifies you as a cyclist as opposed to a motorcycle with its brights on. I also have a low mounted blinkie up front to further identify me as a cyclist on my commuter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    I like aiming the bike light further down the road, so oncoming vehicles can see me easier. I aim the helmet light just a little ahead of the bike, so I can see if there are any road hazards.

I prefer having the brighter light on the bike, since it would have a heavier battery. I don't want my helmet feeling heavy.
    +1.

Bar is for distance, helmet is for seeing where you are looking which is especially important going into a turn which is just ahead of the bike.