RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Local "club" leaders

Does anyone have a local club leader that they find annoying? I recently "joined" on one ride and found them to be a decent group of people but the facebook posts just drive me insane. Telling people they are "weak" for not going on rides, not showing up for certain events and so on.

Anyone else have to deal with that?

What sucks is there just arent many groups in my town to ride with so hopefully the other group is a little different.
    Last edited by bballr4567; 06-07-2013 at 12:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Does anyone have a local club leader that they find annoying? I recently "joined" on one ride and found them to be a decent group of people but the facebook posts just drive me insane. Telling people they are "weak" for not going on rides, not showing up for certain events and so on.

So, I just left the group. Anyone else have to deal with that?

What sucks is there just arent many groups in my town to ride with so hopefully the other group is a little different.
    So people giving people crap for not showing up bothers you? Might be hard finding a group with zero sense of humor.

I tend to not pick rides based on quality of facebook posts and have had decent luck finding good rides.

wots...uh the deal?
    If the two people have a history of verbal jousting going back years, you might just be on the outside of the private joke. Give it some time to learn about the group, ask questions etc. Or, not. (Or, show up strong, wait to mile 75 and then drop the hammer and put the pain on the Mr. Mouth...then you can throw the verbal jabs --just not on facebook-- or be the bigger man)
    martymoose

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a little confused by your post, but it sounds like you enjoyed riding with them, but not reading what some of them post on Facebook.

So I'd say ride, don't read.

Or as mmoose said, take a little time to learn the group's online culture and history, and maybe your interpretation will change.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I enjoyed riding with a few of them, who I rode with before hand and they suggested I join on the larger group rides.

Its not that he cares about people not showing up but rather how he tries to get people to show up. Telling them that there is "no excuse to not join the nation" "you arent weak, we are just fast" "just because you are new doesnt mean you are allowed to miss the nation" and so on. Just seems like a strange way to get people out on rides. The average ride attendance is about 2-3% of the total group. (515 or so in and around 20 show up religiously).

The worst part to me is there is a bike race this weekend. They want volunteers to show up and help and he is telling people that they have to volunteer for the betterment of the "nation". Why not just ask people?

Just frustrating to see the largest group leader in our area treat the riders that are on the fence so harsh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Sounds like he's just socially challenged. If he was a total tool I doubt he'd be donating his time to run a ride for other people.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    He's just 1 guy. Try to chalk it up to maybe he's just an a-hole. Just go ride & ignore what he says. I'm a very active member in a large club & it took me a long time to learn to ignore our fearless leader. He seems to make up rules as he goes along & frequently lives in a world of his own. This used to bother me a lot, but now I just nod & smile then do what I want anyway. It's not easy, but try to ignore him especially if you have friends in the club & if you like the club otherwise.
    Don't believe everything you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Yea, it seems there are quite a few other people in the group who feel the same way as I do. He is a nice guy and puts in a ton of time to get it done but just rubs a lot of the newer riders the wrong way it seems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have found that most ride leaders have big mouths and big ego's.
    Just live with it and let them lead.

Bianchi-Campagnolo

Local "club" leaders

He's just got substandard communication skills. He should get help, someone else to do the Facebook talk.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like he's a type A guy who is trying to use what works to motivate him to motivate others. If you can't deal, go elsewhere, or if you want to change the situation, figure out the best method to achieve that and start executing the plan.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    So I'd say ride, don't read.
    ^^This^^

This is one (of several) reasons I am not a fan of "social media". I would have enjoyed the ride, and would never have known that the leader was a jerk online!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I think the title of the thread is wrong. It's not the word CLUB that should be in quotes, it's LEADERS.

I used to ride with a club where the so-called "ride leader" was really more of a ride scheduler and route selector. Once the ride got underway there was no leadership. People would just want to show off and hammer off the front, with no regard for the rest of the group.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here: