RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009

Look Keo sprint cleats

Does anybody have any experience using the different floats that are available in the Look Keo Sprint cleats. What are the pros and cons. I currently use the grey (4.5 degrees of float).

Thanks in advance

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    i like the red. allows more float. currently most of my bikes have speedplays so i'm a fan of lots of float.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Keo cleats

Quote Originally Posted by Optomrider
    Does anybody have any experience using the different floats that are available in the Look Keo Sprint cleats. What are the pros and cons. I currently use the grey (4.5 degrees of float).

Thanks in advance
    If you are not having any issues, there is no reason to change. I prefer the red cleat only because my right foot tends to wobble quite a bit during pedaling and the red offer more freedom of movement. One idea is to video your legs and feet while the bike is in a trainer and see what is going on during your pedal stroke. I suspect the grays are fine for most people

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I've use the red & gray. I like the gray ones better. The red ones have too much play in them for my taste.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

vexatious enigma
    When I was using Keo pedals I liked the 4.5 cleats the most. I like a nice and solid platform but for general road riding the 0's were too much for me. One of the reasons why I switched when I needed new pedals was because I was tired of having to hunt down and special order my cleats. All I could find for the 4.5s were those horrible grip cleats (WORST THINGS EVER.) I could never get them to clip in properly and once they worn in a bit things just got worse. I would usually have to cut the grips off (Dont like spending the extra 10 dollars for those things)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've come across this hatred of the rubber grip on the cleats before and I don't understand it. You couldn't even clip in due to the rubber?

I've been using the grey cleats for five years, from pre-rubber to rubber, and I have to say I like the rubber add-ons a lot. They help me get clipped in because my cleat doesn't slide right off the pedal. Additionally, they make walking off the bike a lot easier and make slipping and falling much less likely. When I clip in now with some of my older shoes with older cleats I've slipped right over the pedal and racked myself on the TT/stem. Not cool.

I just don't understand how to small pieces of rubber can be that horrible. They've never stood in the way of me clipping in.

As for the original question - I've only ever used the grey cleats. Good luck.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I like the gray cleats but I agree about the rubber thingies on the bottom. I don't know if Look is putting them on all their cleats; they probably are. I just take a pair of needle nosed pliers & yank them out. I'll bet they added them because the Keo cleats are so slippery.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I normally use the black ones with no float - they allow more power transfer, all you need to do is make sure that the cleats are perfectly fitted in the right position. I've used grey ones before with no problems, while the red ones I only tried once - they definitely have too much float and made the ride very uncomfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Smile They do

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    I like the gray cleats but I agree about the rubber thingies on the bottom. I don't know if Look is putting them on all their cleats; they probably are. I just take a pair of needle nosed pliers & yank them out. I'll bet they added them because the Keo cleats are so slippery.

Yeah, you can buy Look cleats without the rubber grips. They offer both kind. I accidentally picked up some Look Grip cleats at my LBS a few months ago. I gave in and bought some Shimano SDL-SL pedals for my newer bike. No more problems with slipping cleats or short cleat life. Well worth it. I used Look pedals since they started making the things and finally made the switch..