Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005

Looking for an attorney

On a club ride Saturday a dog ran out from a house & into the middle of our group of 8 riders. I had absolutely no warning nor did I have any chance to avoid the dog. I hit him going around 20 mph, square in the rib cage, & went down hard. I have a separated shoulder, a broken clavicle & multiple abrasions, bruises & hematomas. A police report was filed at the scene & I have the report #, the officer's name & badge # & 7 witnesses who were riding with me. Ohio, where I live & ride, has a leash law. My injuries will add up to a considerable expense i.e. 20 min ambulance ride, emergency room treatment, Xrays, cat scan, drugs, bandages, etc. I'd like to contact an attorney asap, but I don't know who to call. I've heard of a guy in Cincy who's supposed to be a great cycling attorney, but I can't think of his name. Can I get a lil help, please?
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

CX'er
    I don't know if there is a group out there but Bike Law is a group in numerous states. I know there are a few guys in Bike Law Michigan but I assume you would need someone licensed in that state to help you out (I'm assuming you have to license in each state but don't know, I'm not a law professional).

https://www.bikelaw.com/

And just in case it may be of help

bikelawmichigan.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Ask at your local bike shops. Many know cyclists that are also customers/lawyers, as well as lawyers who have represented other customers.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    If you need an attorney referral, the best place to start is your state's bar association.

This is Ohio's:
    https://www.ohiobar.org/Pages/Home.aspx

Click that "Find A Lawyer" button at the top left.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    On a club ride Saturday a dog ran out from a house & into the middle of our group of 8 riders. I had absolutely no warning nor did I have any chance to avoid the dog. I hit him going around 20 mph, square in the rib cage, & went down hard. I have a separated shoulder, a broken clavicle & multiple abrasions, bruises & hematomas. A police report was filed at the scene & I have the report #, the officer's name & badge # & 7 witnesses who were riding with me. Ohio, where I live & ride, has a leash law. My injuries will add up to a considerable expense i.e. 20 min ambulance ride, emergency room treatment, Xrays, cat scan, drugs, bandages, etc. I'd like to contact an attorney asap, but I don't know who to call. I've heard of a guy in Cincy who's supposed to be a great cycling attorney, but I can't think of his name. Can I get a lil help, please?

Sorry to hear about your accident.

You might be thinking of this guy: About Steve Magas, Ohio’s Bike Lawyer | Steve Magas Ohio's Bike Lawyer

I've never used him, or known anyone who did, but he does do bike-related PI work, and he's active in the cycling community.

FWIW, you're very smart to contact legal representation, given the damages and potential for future costly medical care you face. I take it you've found the dog's owner?
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Banned forever.....or not
    Did you get info on his homeowners insurance????...Don't forget the damage to your bike. (I'm sure that every component was damaged in some way)....Don't forget...Pain and suffering.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

What the what???
    I have no helpful advice, just glad to hear you’re okay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    If you have the homeowner's name, it might be worth contacting them and asking for their insurance information. Then contact their insurance agent. Start off the conversation with "I'd hate to have to get an attorney involved, but . . . " and see if they will settle for what you believe to be reasonable. They hate to get attorneys involved to. And if they don't respond reasonably, then "Better Call Saul."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Not with these injuries. Get an attorney and let them handle it. This is coming from a retired insurance company lawyer.

Kerry, your approach is fine for non serious accidents

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the advice, everybody. I hired Steve Magus from Cincy.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

xxl
    Thanks for the advice, everybody. I hired Steve Magus from Cincy.
    Please let me know how your case resolves, and what your opinion of your legal assistance was--I'm in the Cincinnati area, and while I'll personally probably never use Mr. Magus (fortunate enough to have two in-laws that are practicing attorneys), but sometimes folks will ask me "Who's good?" and I could pass on your experience.

Good luck in resolution of your case.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.