Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017

Looking For Cycle Computer

I am thinking of retiring my old Garmin 60csx GPS in for of something that will mount to my new Lynskey R260. What I am looking for is: GPS enabled; show me basic How Far / How Fast / How High information; able to synch with my computer(s); usable for more than 10hrs at a time. I have no intention of using pwoermeter information, cadence sensors, or other such stuff. I do not need mapping information, but I want it to be wireless, hence the GPS enabled feature.

Been looking for a while and I can't find something that meets these requirements, so suggestions would be appreciated. For now, I am keeping my GPS in my Camelback, but I miss not seeing current speed and distance information while riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Cateye Stealth 50 is what I use, it can be moved from bike to bike, GPS, mph, elev, spd, cadence. It is small and simple.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OV_Dragonman View Post
    I am thinking of retiring my old Garmin 60csx GPS in for of something that will mount to my new Lynskey R260. What I am looking for is: GPS enabled; show me basic How Far / How Fast / How High information; able to synch with my computer(s); usable for more than 10hrs at a time. I have no intention of using pwoermeter information, cadence sensors, or other such stuff. I do not need mapping information, but I want it to be wireless, hence the GPS enabled feature.

Been looking for a while and I can't find something that meets these requirements, so suggestions would be appreciated. For now, I am keeping my GPS in my Camelback, but I miss not seeing current speed and distance information while riding.
    Google is your friend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Google is your friend.
    That is what is so confusing: I cannot get any recommendations that match my criteria. Everything wants me to live with real short run times, use ANT+ for measuring stuff I don't care about, and cost way more than I want to spend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    , and cost way more than I want to spend.
    It would be helpful to share that price point.

EDIT: So I Google the Garmin 60csx. Best Buys sells it for $255, if they can actually deliver. That somewhat generates a price point for about what you paid for this originally, as well as tells me the Garmin had maps. Not sure if you are now looking to spend less.

Have you looked at the Lezyne units ?, or Wahoo ?. The Bolt is about the price range of your Garmin - $250. Is a nice size, has a great readout display, ports effortlessly to RideWithGPS. What exactly did you mean by "sync with your computer" ? and would you be happy if it synced to a cloud based data base ?.

Yes the Bolt has maps and can do cadence, heart rate, power meter and works with a speed sensor, but you don't need to use all that.
    Last edited by Steve B.; 03-12-2018 at 12:56 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    It would be helpful to share that price point.

EDIT: So I Google the Garmin 60csx. Best Buys sells it for $255, if they can actually deliver. That somewhat generates a price point for about what you paid for this originally, as well as tells me the Garmin had maps. Not sure if you are now looking to spend less.
    About that price point . . . I am trying to get away as cheaply as possible. I just do not feel $250 is what it should cost. Another user here, duriel, suggested the Cateye Stealth 50; they are running about $150 and that is actually over what I want to spend. I'm thinking closer to $100. Or less.

Yes, I've seen one of the Lezyne units, the Super GPS, and it is close, but again, I'm stuck primarily on the price and and the fact that I'm paying for features I do not want. A quick search shows pricing between $140 and $220 form reliable sources. If it did not accept all the other stuff, (power meters, cadence, etc) and I did not have to pay for features I do not use / want, yes, that would be close.

As for my present GPS, do not use that as a guide for pricing. I've had that unit for ages, paid a lot more for it than the bike computer / GPS units we are discussing. and it does do stuff a bike GPS does not do. If I could get a handlebar mount that fits my handle bars on the new bike, I'd be very happy, but that turned out to be a fruitless search. I have the mount for my two other bikes, but these bars are a bigger diameter. Garmin does not make the unit any more, they did not make the mount in the diameter I need, and the third party solutions are not really styled for bicycle use and are way too expensive.

I appreciate the input I've been getting, but I do tend to tale a while to make my mind up about purchases like this. I shopped, and drooled, over my last bike purchase for almost two and a half years before taking the plunge. The good news though, when I finally do make a decision, I am rarely disappointed with what I get.

Neophyte
    Many threads about what computers are best for a given price range or feature set... I really think the Garmin Edge 520 is hard to beat. It's compact but the display is excellent. IF you want more data/features down the line it will grow with you. It's been around long enough the kinks have been worked out and it now goes for a pretty fair price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I'm a big fan of the Wahoo Elemnt series of computers. I had an original Elemnt, and upgraded to the Elemnt Bolt (and passed down the older Elemnt). I also recently gave an Elemnt Mini to a close friend as a gift.

The Elemnt Mini sounds like it might be ideal for you, in that it does speed, elevation, and GPS, although one caveat. It has to be connected to your phone via bluetooth for the GPS to work as it does not have it's own GPS. It depends on your phones GPS for tracking your movements.

Another downside to the Mini is that it does not have a back light. My friend never rides at night and thus doesn't need the back light feature.

The price points is $99, and it has a super long battery life (up to 1 year without replacing it).

If you would prefer something with an internal GPS and more advanced mapping features, the Elemnt Bolt is a very nice piece of kit. They cost about $250. The do use a phone app for the initial configuration, but don't require the phone to be present and connected to track your ride (unless you want to receive notifications for text messages and phone calls - a handy feature). They also have a live tracking feature that you can share a link to so your friends/family can follow your ride in real time (a good safety feature).

I love my Bolt. =)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    go and get it then.. why are you waiting

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thing is pretty much all cycling computers will have "connections" (either ANT+ or BLE) because thats what 99% of people want, so you're not paying for features, you're just getting standard, and it's just you that doesn't want to use them (which of course you don't have to use them).

Also you say everything has "real short runtimes"...what's real short and what do you consider decent?

What about watches? I've got garmin 610 and 620 and with a rubber mount work OKish on the bike, but something from the XT series would work better, get an old one like a 910
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think you have a 3rd world problem and like to whine.

https://www.ebay.com/i/202208994896?chn=ps
    Last edited by duriel; 03-13-2018 at 06:20 AM.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really doubt you will find anything under $100 with GPS.

I use an old fashioned wireless Cateye cycle computer which just does the basics like speed, distance, average speed, elapsed time. If I want to track my ride, I use the Strava app on my phone.

Disclaimer: I'm a Luddite when it comes to these things.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    The more research I do, the less satisfied I becomne with what is out there. In looking at the manuals for both Lezyne and Cateye, I see they require a sensor and I need to enter wheel diameter. Why is this needed if it uses GPS? I have three bikes with three different size tires. GPS should be able to track me and tell me how far / how fast with any additional calibration. I'm getting that information now with my 60csx, so why can't these newer units do that? Even the manual for the Garmin 520 specifies a "speed sensor" being installed.

Thanks all, but I am going to stick my old GPS in the Camelback when I ride the newest bike and use my existing mount on the other two.

Let this thread go fallow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Cateye does not require a sensor (no wheel diameter).... Period. I defer to my previous post! & I am done here, have a good day.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    The more research I do, the less satisfied I becomne with what is out there. In looking at the manuals for both Lezyne and Cateye, I see they require a sensor and I need to enter wheel diameter. Why is this needed if it uses GPS? I have three bikes with three different size tires. GPS should be able to track me and tell me how far / how fast with any additional calibration. I'm getting that information now with my 60csx, so why can't these newer units do that? Even the manual for the Garmin 520 specifies a "speed sensor" being installed.

Thanks all, but I am going to stick my old GPS in the Camelback when I ride the newest bike and use my existing mount on the other two.

I think you have a misunderstanding of how some of the GPS bike computers work.

As an example, with the Wahoo Elemnt & Bolt, you are not required to buy wheel sensors. Without wheel sensors, the Elemnt & Bolt will use GPS to derive speed and distance. However, using GPS for this isn't overly accurate, especially if you're riding in heavily treed areas or turning a lot. With optional wheel sensors, you can manually configure the wheel size to which the sensor is attached, or have the computer auto-calibrate based on the wheel sensor and GPS info. Attach a wheel sensor to each bike, setting the wheel size for each wheel sensor. At that point, you can move the bike computer between bikes, and not have to re-program wheel sizes. I use my Bolt with multiple bikes, each having their own calibrated wheel sensor, and it works great.

You also mentioned you want at least 10hrs run time. I think computers like the Elemnt & Bolt can do that (they are certainly claimed to last longer than that). But there's no reason why you can't attach them (or many other bike computers) to a secondary USB battery to extend the time as long as you want.

Less than $100 for a GPS enabled bike computer. Good luck with that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

You need to research better, can use and must use are two completely different things.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Me thinks:
    Name:  old man.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  96.3 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    my garmin 810 does all that and lets me follow a route. there are still some available for sale. only flaw is that in rainy conditions the altimeter hole is in a poor place which makes elevation data not work in those conditions. newer models have the hole in a more shielded place.

RoadBikeReview Member

In bold above is more an indictment about you than the plethora of excellent cycling computers on the market.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Final word, at least from me, I promise.

I just got my REI Dividend and an offer for 20% off on one item. With those combined, I can get the Garmin 520 down to a price point I can live with. Going to be ordering one once the sale starts.

As for the insinuations that I am a grouchy old man, I prefer to think of myself as a price conscious, experienced bicyclist!

RoadBikeReview Member
    As for the insinuations that I am a grouchy old man, I prefer to think of myself as a price conscious, experienced bicyclist!
    And what do you have against grouchy old men?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Final word, at least from me, I promise.

I just got my REI Dividend and an offer for 20% off on one item. With those combined, I can get the Garmin 520 down to a price point I can live with. Going to be ordering one once the sale starts.

FYI, the REI 20% off excludes items with GPS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Your opinion is greatly distorted.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Your opinion is greatly distorted.
    Reminds me of this little gem:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking For Cycle Computer-compromisedemotivator.jpeg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Google Ebay Bryton Rider E10 or 310E
    They are below $100.00 for GPS units, we use them and all ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast