RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

Looking for wrapping suggestions for Dura Ace 7800 shifters/bars

Just got a set of 7800 Dura Ace shifter/brakes .
    Didnt know the shifter cables exit out of the hoods like
    Sora units before I bought them .
    I like to wrap my cables under my bar tape .
    Anyone have any suggestions or pics on how they did theirs ?
    I use Alligator iLink cables so some sharp bends are possible .

Thanks

'brifter' is a lame word.
    1) get ride of the Alligator stuff
    2) buy a Dura Ace cable/housing kit
    3) install it (or have it installed) the way Shimano intended it to work
    4) be happy your bike shifts well and doesn't look stupid
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cables coming out of the side of the hoods is superior to cables routed under the bar tape IMO. Fewer and less sharp bends which only increase cable drag and wear the housing faster. Under the tape, the housings wear faster so need to be replaced more frequently, and are more work to replace.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    1) get ride of the Alligator stuff
    2) buy a Dura Ace cable/housing kit
    3) install it (or have it installed) the way Shimano intended it to work
    4) be happy your bike shifts well and doesn't look stupid
    Thats prety much it.

We tried and tried to wrap cables on a 6600 shifter under the tape for a guy that had to have it like that.

It looked like crap and never worked very well either. Dont bother.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Ok....Im seeing a trend here.
    Anyone have a pic showing how
    they routed theirs ?

Re: Looking for wrapping suggestions for Dura Ace 7800 shifters/bars

Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    they routed theirs ?
    There's only one way to route them. They come out of the shifter, bend toward the cable stops - maybe crossing slightly- and then go into the frame cable stops. The only option that is sometime used is to cross the housings where they overlap so that one isn't arcing up and one arcing down.

Routing Shimano's crappy old cable system is the easiest thing in the bike world...
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Cables coming out of the side of the hoods is superior to cables routed under the bar tape IMO. Fewer and less sharp bends which only increase cable drag and wear the housing faster. Under the tape, the housings wear faster so need to be replaced more frequently, and are more work to replace.
    Yeah, this hasn't worked for Campy as they've done it for the past nearly 20 years. You must be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Yeah, this hasn't worked for Campy as they've done it for the past nearly 20 years. You must be right.
    Yeah. I haven't had any problems with SRAM, either. The only one I've seen issues with is Shimano. Well, Campy 11 speed is a little more finicky than 8,9, or 10 speed, but it's still less trouble-free than Shimano. I personally have never had an issue with Campy, nor have I ever "worn out" the cable housings on any of my Campy bikes.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    so that one isn't arcing up and one arcing down.
    So why does one arc up and one arc down slightly? I've always wondered about that, and the asymmetry did bug me at first. Is it just to stop the two cables from tapping or abrading on each other as you turn the bars?
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    they routed theirs ?
    This how Eric Zabel's mechanic did it in 2004:

Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by ukbloke View Post
    So why does one arc up and one arc down slightly? I've always wondered about that, and the asymmetry did bug me at first. Is it just to stop the two cables from tapping or abrading on each other as you turn the bars?
    they're angled like that out of the shifters, for exactly that reason. one (i forget which) goes at a steeper angle than the other.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you want the best shifting, do as it is supposed to be done, not how you want it.. If you want it under the tape, but a different shifter or more current Shimano..
    Get this thing off my head!!!!!
    www.augustacrosscoalition.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Yeah. I haven't had any problems with SRAM, either. The only one I've seen issues with is Shimano. Well, Campy 11 speed is a little more finicky than 8,9, or 10 speed, but it's still less trouble-free than Shimano. I personally have never had an issue with Campy, nor have I ever "worn out" the cable housings on any of my Campy bikes.
    I can't believe you even mention Scram in this post. It really isn't even of the same caliber as Shimano and Campy. I've had SRAM on three different bikes (2006 Force, 2009 Red and 2010 Rival and I can honestly say that I had less issues with Shimano than SRAM. Yes, I was dazzled by he latest and supposedly greatest too. It just was a disappointment each time. Campy is finicky. Anyone who says otherwise has never set up Shimano in my opinion. However, Campy is good stuff and is second to none when setup properly. Remember the old adage: Lightweight, durable, inexpensive....Pick two. Where does SRAM fall in? I know. Durability. I don't see too many '06 and '07 SRAM road groups out there, but I see Campy and Shimano road groups from decades ago still going strong. Shimano weighs a little more. So what? Unless you race, you're a poser if you even factor that in (which you did not to your credit). SRAM is the new kid on the block still and it's a US company. However, it's groups are still made in Taiwan. I'm not trying to be d!*k, but the Shimano bashing is unwarranted. IT's good stuff. If the OP wanted his cables unexposed, he should've gone with 7900 or 9000 Dura Ace. Also, it is true that the cable would wear out faster under the tape. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Faster might be 5 years vs. 8 years, but it is faster. Record is the BMW 7 Series; Dura Ace is th Lexus LS; SRAM is the Hyundai Equus.
    Last edited by terbennett; 03-21-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    I can't believe you even mention Scram in the same sentence as Shimano and Campy. I've had SRAM on three different bikes (2006 Force, 2009 Red and 2010 Rival and I can honestly say that I had less issues with Shimano than SRAM. Campy is finicky. Anyone who says otherwise has never set u Shimano in my opinion. However, Campy is good stuff. Remember the old adage: Lightweight, durable, inexpensive....Pick two. Where does SRAM fall in? I know. Durability. I don't see too many '06 and '07 SRAM road groups out there, but I see Campy and Shimano road groups from 30-40 years ago still going strong. himano weighs a little more. So what? Unless you race you're a poser if you even factor that in. SRAM is the new kid on the block still and it's US company. However, it's groups are still made in Taiwan. I'm not trying to be d!*k, but the Shimano bashing i unwarranted. If the OP wanted his cables unexposed, he should've gone with 7900 or 9000 Dura Ace. Also, it is true that the cable would wear out faster under the tape. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Anyone can figure that out. Faster might be 5 years vs. 8 years, but it is faster.
    all 3 work just fine. the SRAM Red on my bike is as smooth and perfect as you can get w/o a battery. Campy works great, Shimano works great.
    what i am definitely NOT a fan of is how Shimano has engineered ease of maintenance right out of the newer groups. trying to get shift cables in to 7900/6700 is lame compared to the older groups. and having to remove a screwed on nameplate to do brake cables? obviously this doesn't matter for 99.99999% of the end-users as they don't maintain their own equipment, but it bugs me.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Keeping this thread on track ...........
    This is what Ive done to start .
    Will see how it goes .
    Still probably another 3 to 4 weeks before
    the weather is good enough to ride :-(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for wrapping suggestions for Dura Ace 7800 shifters/bars-carbon-bars.jpg  

looks kind short to me, hope that works out. seems kinda expensive for what it is, but value is in the eye of the buyer.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    edit....
    Last edited by ccaddy; 03-21-2013 at 07:26 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    My shop did it .
    If there are any issues , I'll just have them redo it .
    Expensive ??
    Bars and shifters ...... $225