Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Can you tell me which manufacturers those are?
    I can't even find size "XS" (european XS, not american...)

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Suck in the gut, hard. Hold it for 1 minute. Do that 4 times an hour as often as you can remember. Standing or sitting doesn't matter. Do it for a month and when combined with your regular cycling and moderate carb intake = you might be surprised.

If holding the stomach in becomes 2nd nature, the results will be amazing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Huh...I’m 47 yrs old 5’7 and weigh 145ish. No gut at all. 7 yrs ago I was 170 and had a gut. It’s all about your diet and activity level.
    My metabolism is crazy high at the age of 47 and I eat from 5:00am til 6:00 pm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    My metabolism is crazy high at the age of 47 and I eat from 5:00am til 6:00 pm
    On the other hand, my metabolism can't catch a sleeping snail and I generally have a cup of coffee and two pieces of bread with peanut butter all day ... and still gain weight.

I will probably gain weight for typing this, because I mentioned food.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I don't remember the exact source, but it was a credible source, not one of those alarmist health newsletters with lots of exclamation points at the end of every sentence!!!
    I know the type of sources behind such claims, but I was curious about yours if you could remember. Most of those studies are flawed in terms of getting at causality. Many use some form of linear regression, which can blot out non-linear relationships and, if you just take the line as fact, lead to people talking about problems for every extra pound. But maybe there is a threshold effect where 5% of body weight is not bad, but 10% is. A linear regression will make that threshold disappear in the analysis.

From my look into it over time, they tend to imply that:

Higher weight ---> bad health

However, weight might be an intervening variable in that process:

Bad lifestyle -- -> higher weight ---> bad health

Or it might be that bad health causes higher weight:

Bad health ---> higher weight.

Or bad health might cause both higher weight (which might have negative health effects for every pound, or might have bad effects only after a certain threshold) AND bad lifestyle, in some sort of feedback loop.

I'm not going to ASCII that one.

So, the possible causal connections are many, and not many studies are set up to test all the possibilities. That's because doing so is very difficult. Getting at causality outside of a lab using social science methods is quite the task. Easy to do with millions and millions of dollars, tough to do on a real world budget where researchers often use pre-existing data.. and are limited by that fact in the things they can test.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    Can you tell me which manufacturers those are?
    I can't even find size "XS" (european XS, not american...)
    If you were commenting on my post; Sponeed and Twotwowin are 2 that came to mind. Tried them as an XL and my 11 and a half year old could wear it and not have wiggle room. Sponeed bibs are a close sizing. Shirts are ridiculously tight. Maybe I should say the 2 I tried were.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    This may be true to a degree. However, how many 90+ year-olds do you know who don't look like they're on a starvation diet?
    This. I live in one of the world so called blue zone,the 100 and plus years old folks are as skinny as it gets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I call BS on the can't drop the belly fat - you can if you want to. I dropped 70lbs over the last 10 years and I'm 61 now. Dropped 10 last year now 175lbs 6' tall. I could still lose another 10 if I wanted, but I'm ok with where I'm at - and nobody would say I have belly fat.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Yeah, I call BS on the can't drop the belly fat - you can if you want to.
    True, but for many some of the belly fat is the last thing to go. Or for women the, thigh fat. This is why so many think they can't lose that, but then again they are not looking at a 10 year time span like you.

100 cal/day is about a pound a month. Keep the deficit, and eventually the fat will go.

I love to climb!
    Haha. 44 is too young to be old, and you certainly don't have to stay fat just because you're over 40. Now, I've never been fat, but I certainly don't expect to suddenly grow a belly in the next 4 years (just turned 40 a few months ago).
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    There's lot's of new info on diet, gut bacteria, and connection to the brain.

In a nutshell, the thinking on gut and brain is good gut bacteria burns fat, and likes to feed on good food. Bad gut bacteria likes to eat junk, sends signals to the brain to eat more junk, and creates fat. This is of course grossly oversimplified. Given the opportunity, bad gut bacteria will try to outnumber good bacteria, and encourage you to eat more bad things.
    It's not always clear what is bad, either. For instance anything made with white refined wheat flour - bad - like pure sugar.

You can lose it. Eat better per above, and keep moving or stand more during the day. If you watch TV or movies at home, do it standing for at least part of the time, for instance. In the meantime wear the more loose fit stuff.
    I'm early 60's and have not gained any weight for over 25 years. And I drink some beer,too.
    +1. Just by chance I did some metabolic testing with a pro cyclist who has an MS in exercise physiology recently who is big into this. Fascinating stuff. Meeting with a RD to go over and implement some changes. Already tracking and just by tracking what you eat the accountability alone will cut out hundreds of filler carbs. For me it's more about gut health but, I can see that some weight coming off is inevitable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I'm 44 and let's face it,there's no way my belly is gonna absorb back. I do look skinny and in shape,but when wearing lycra the MAMIL looks take over,the f...ing belly is there. I only drink a pint of beer per week and sort of look after my diet but let's face it,when you get old you gain fat,period. That's what the guy in the MAMIL movie says. Rant over.
    This is why I dislike wearing bibs. It's such a chore putting them on whereas shorts/T-shirts are quicker. I always wore shoes and padded shorts before I quit for 14 years, but I never owned a jersey as I used the bike for transportation only. Heck, I used to have a down vest that had a large pouch on the back that I loved to ride in@night in Las Vegas when it was 102 degrees@0200(no base layer)!
    Last edited by tabl10s; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:53 PM.
    2016 Orbea Orca OMR w/Dura-Ace 9070 Di2, Zipp Aero SL70, Enve stem, Vision Tri-Max 35's, S-Works Carbon Power saddle, FSA Force SB32 seatpost, Sram XG1090 cassette, Look Keo Blade Ti's.
    15.9lbs

2013 Wilier Zero. 7 w/e-Tap, Zipp Aero SL70, Enve stem, S-Works carbon Power saddle, Red cranks w/Rotor "Quarbon"/Roval 50's, Ritchey Superlogic post, Look Keo Blade Ti's, Rotor Uno cassette, Red 22 brakes. 14.08lbs.

2016 Cervelo Rca, THM Clavicula cranks, AX Lightness stem, bar and seatpost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Diet is the main factor. You can't out train a bad diet, as it were.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those are some pretty nice bikes in your sig to be ridden with shorts and a T-shirt.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Di2
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9 Ultegra
    2013 Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon XTR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankout View Post
    Diet is the main factor. You can't out train a bad diet, as it were.
    This is true. But the opposite is also true. Even if you have the healthiest, most well balanced diet in the world, it won't prevent your muscles from atrophy if you are a couch potato.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    This is true. But the opposite is also true. Even if you have the healthiest, most well balanced diet in the world, it won't prevent your muscles from atrophy if you are a couch potato.

For sure, but one can be weak of muscle and not overweight. Not that it's preferred.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Better yet, start doing some core strengthening exercises to tighten the belly flab. Your posture will improve and your back with thank you:

Body Weight Ab Exercises for a Flat Stomach | Shape Magazine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OkDg0u7Pkg
    Spot fat reduction is one of the worst myths in the fitness industry. You can do all the ab exercises you want, but it won't do anything whatsoever to your beer belly.

In order to lose the gut, you have to lose body fat- period. One overlooked way to lose bodyfat is to increase muscle mass. It's counter intuitive, but lifting for muscle hypertrophy can actually cause beginners to lose weight even as they gain muscle mass because the body will be using surplus calories to build and maintain the muscle. But, at the end of the day, you can't do it without proper diet. A pint of beer a week likely isn't the core problem.

You are nowhere close to the age where it is not possible to lose your bodyfat. This man is a decade older than you:

And he also happens to have posted some excellent resources for you if you decide it's not yet time to give up.

Scooby's Home Workouts - Home Fitness & Bodybuilding Workouts

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    Spot fat reduction is one of the worst myths in the fitness industry. You can do all the ab exercises you want, but it won't do anything whatsoever to your beer belly.

In order to lose the gut, you have to lose body fat- period. One overlooked way to lose bodyfat is to increase muscle mass. It's counter intuitive, but lifting for muscle hypertrophy can actually cause beginners to lose weight even as they gain muscle mass because the body will be using surplus calories to build and maintain the muscle. But, at the end of the day, you can't do it without proper diet. A pint of beer a week likely isn't the core problem.

You are nowhere close to the age where it is not possible to lose your bodyfat. This man is a decade older than you:

And he also happens to have posted some excellent resources for you if you decide it's not yet time to give up.

Scooby's Home Workouts - Home Fitness & Bodybuilding Workouts
    Is it me or is the left hand position combined with the facial expression a bit disturbing?

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Is it me or is the left hand position combined with the facial expression a bit disturbing?
    It's not just you.

But he is flexing, and the front and rear hand position allows him to leverage his upper body and pop his arms. Both hands are at or near the centerline, both are likely in fists. His abs are rotating in a way countered by the hands.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, it's slightly off-looking if your mind is in the gutter . But the hand position is part of a body building pose that allows him to show off his bicep definition without obscuring the abdominals. Tensing all your muscles tends to result in weird facial expressions

RoadBikeReview Member
    Actually what's disturbing is that hat on his head.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    There are no magic bullets, but it will tighten your belly flab to a degree. And it will definitely improve your core strength. Increased core strength will lessen your chances of injury, make you feel better and even improve your riding.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are no magic bullets, but it will tighten your belly flab to a degree. And it will definitely improve your core strength. Increased core strength will lessen your chances of injury, make you feel better and even improve your riding.
    It emphatically will not tighten your belly flab at all whatsoever other than to the minor extent that helps create a caloric deficit (no more than exercising any other muscle group). The fat on top of your muscles doesn't care how strong the nearby muscles are. Totally agree with the rest of what you said.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rtalain View Post
    Those are some pretty nice bikes in your sig to be ridden with shorts and a T-shirt.
    Sometimes it's better to be meat & potatoes than Surf-n-Turf!
    2016 Orbea Orca OMR w/Dura-Ace 9070 Di2, Zipp Aero SL70, Enve stem, Vision Tri-Max 35's, S-Works Carbon Power saddle, FSA Force SB32 seatpost, Sram XG1090 cassette, Look Keo Blade Ti's.
    15.9lbs

2013 Wilier Zero. 7 w/e-Tap, Zipp Aero SL70, Enve stem, S-Works carbon Power saddle, Red cranks w/Rotor "Quarbon"/Roval 50's, Ritchey Superlogic post, Look Keo Blade Ti's, Rotor Uno cassette, Red 22 brakes. 14.08lbs.

2016 Cervelo Rca, THM Clavicula cranks, AX Lightness stem, bar and seatpost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    To clarify, I believe "20 lbs. overweight" means 20 lbs. over the correct weight-overweight threshold. Which means if your correct weight for your height ranges 140-175, then 195 would be 20 lbs. overweight.
    I call BS. I might tend to believe more if it was a percentage of weight ... but saying an extra 20 lbs has exactly the same impact on someone who weighs 120 lbs and 320 lbs .... No freaking way.

That would be saying an Olympic gymnast and an NFL defensive end would both be equally affected by 20 lbs. How can anyone think that is reasonable? How can a sixteen percent weight increase be the same, medically, as a six percent weight gain?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast