Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    ... when you put fred astaire, bear bryant, and schwarzenegger in the fly's telepod.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post

You are nowhere close to the age where it is not possible to lose your bodyfat. This man is a decade older than you:
    yeah,and he's been taking roids for about 2 decades...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    I call BS. I might tend to believe more if it was a percentage of weight ... but saying an extra 20 lbs has exactly the same impact on someone who weighs 120 lbs and 320 lbs .... No freaking way.

That would be saying an Olympic gymnast and an NFL defensive end would both be equally affected by 20 lbs. How can anyone think that is reasonable? How can a sixteen percent weight increase be the same, medically, as a six percent weight gain?

OK, point taken here except for one thing. I don't think you could say 320 lbs. is ideal weight for anybody - not even a linebacker who is all muscle. And I've seen some of those 300+lb. football players and they are NOT all muscle. Remember that the 320lb. linebacker's cardio vascular system still has to do far greater work than someone of a normal weight - flesh needs blood supply whether it's fat or muscle. All the other organs are the same size too, they didn't double in size.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    OK, point taken here except for one thing. I don't think you could say 320 lbs. is ideal weight for anybody - not even a linebacker who is all muscle. And I've seen some of those 300+lb. football players and they are NOT all muscle. Remember that the 320lb. linebacker's cardio vascular system still has to do far greater work than someone of a normal weight - flesh needs blood supply whether it's fat or muscle. All the other organs are the same size too, they didn't double in size.
    Turns Out that Body Size Is Correlated with Heart Size - NEJM Journal Watch

RoadBikeReview Member
    You posted a link to an article that can only be seen with a sign-in account.

And what about other organs? All the other players in the game have to do more work too.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You posted a link to an article that can only be seen with a sign-in account.

And what about other organs? All the other players in the game have to do more work too.
    Sorry it came right up via google search but I see what you mean clicking the hyper link I posted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    +1. Just by chance I did some metabolic testing with a pro cyclist who has an MS in exercise physiology recently who is big into this. Fascinating stuff...
    More on the connection between gut and brain, if you are curious.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddi.../#65baafc235a5

"Scientific research is nearing a consensus that bacteria in our digestive systems affect our brains. The microbiome in our guts, populated by billions of bacteria, appears to play a significant role not only in our digestive health, but also our mental health. Exactly how this happens is still being worked out, with each new study turning over another proverbial rock of possibilities."

I first heard about this topic from my sister, who picked up a horrible infection in the hospital and no antibiotic could cure it. She was out of work for a few months, it was pretty bleak. The answer that worked - getting fecal transplant. This was cutting edge stuff a few years ago, very few places doing it, but it cured her.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by notvintage View Post
    lol, i hear you, i went from 150 lb at 40 years old to 162 at 51. Sucks, but i'm not giving up alcohol.
    185@8%bf(1994). 245@???bf(2017).
    2016 Orbea Orca OMR w/Dura-Ace 9070 Di2, Zipp Aero SL70, Enve stem, Vision Tri-Max 35's, S-Works Carbon Power saddle, FSA Force SB32 seatpost, Sram XG1090 cassette, Look Keo Blade Ti's.
    15.9lbs

2013 Wilier Zero. 7 w/e-Tap, Zipp Aero SL70, Enve stem, S-Works carbon Power saddle, Red cranks w/Rotor "Quarbon"/Roval 50's, Ritchey Superlogic post, Look Keo Blade Ti's, Rotor Uno cassette, Red 22 brakes. 14.08lbs.

2016 Cervelo Rca, THM Clavicula cranks, AX Lightness stem, bar and seatpost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    You may decide to keep the belly. But saying "there's no way" is, well... bullish*t.

I get it. it's no fun. I'm 6'1" and I'd been 185-188 for decades. I turned 49 this year. As a bit of an experiment, I changed my diet to see if I could A) drop 10 pounds and B) lose no muscle mass. The biggest (and most disappointing) contributor to the success of that experiment was... cutting out about 1/2 of my alcohol intake.

I constantly argue with myself regarding whether that was a "success"... I really like miss those high-gravity IPAs
    I sure hope that it works. I cut out alcohol completely 3 weeks ago; I had been drinking most of a bottle of wine every evening but got disgusted with my belly. But my weight hasn't dropped any. It would be a lose-lose if I got fatter and didn't have any wine....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soaring Vulture View Post
    I sure hope that it works. I cut out alcohol completely 3 weeks ago; I had been drinking most of a bottle of wine every evening but got disgusted with my belly. But my weight hasn't dropped any. It would be a lose-lose if I got fatter and didn't have any wine....
    Is everything else you are doing equal to before? Are you still as active? Are you eating the same?

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Is everything else you are doing equal to before? Are you still as active? Are you eating the same?
    Pretty much. I ride about 100 miles a week with about 5000 feet of climbing. I have oatmeal for breakfast and a salad for lunch; my dinner is pretty light. So I don't see why I should have a noticeable belly.

My wife thinks I'm thinner but my scale doesn't think I'm lighter. i'm 73 and weigh 167. I hope I can get down below 160.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soaring Vulture View Post
    Pretty much. I ride about 100 miles a week with about 5000 feet of climbing. I have oatmeal for breakfast and a salad for lunch; my dinner is pretty light. So I don't see why I should have a noticeable belly.

My wife thinks I'm thinner but my scale doesn't think I'm lighter. i'm 73 and weigh 167. I hope I can get down below 160.
    If your wife thinks you look thinner, maybe you are. Muscle is heavier than fat so maybe under your, possibly, thinning fat you're building muscle. Unseen muscle will make you heavier than you appear.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Unseen muscle will make you heavier than you appear.
    That's what I say when the scale says I am gaining weight ... it is all that invisible muscle ......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    yeah,and he's been taking roids for about 2 decades...
    He's actually been a very vocal advocate for natural bodybuilding. He takes protein powder, but that's about it. Heavy 'roid use has some pretty obvious tells- stretch marks and belly distention- he doesn't have those. Body builders using roids often use the dark fake tans to hide stretch marks, but there are plenty of photos of the guy with no tan. He also rides and does tris- so he's not out of cardio shape either.

All that is not to defend the man specifically (I don't know him), but to show what is possible with a very careful diet and very diligent workouts.
    Last edited by nealric; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    That's what I say when the scale says I am gaining weight ... it is all that invisible muscle ......
    Wow, I have that problem all the time!

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If your wife thinks you look thinner, maybe you are. Muscle is heavier than fat so maybe under your, possibly, thinning fat you're building muscle. Unseen muscle will make you heavier than you appear.
    The scale is starting to cooperate; my weight's down to 162, which is encouraging. Maybe in another month I'll get to 158 or so and can start guzzling wine again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123