Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

looks like I'm gonna start ride with mtb shirts ( MAMIL alert)

I'm 44 and let's face it,there's no way my belly is gonna absorb back. I do look skinny and in shape,but when wearing lycra the MAMIL looks take over,the f...ing belly is there. I only drink a pint of beer per week and sort of look after my diet but let's face it,when you get old you gain fat,period. That's what the guy in the MAMIL movie says. Rant over.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Better yet, start doing some core strengthening exercises to tighten the belly flab. Your posture will improve and your back with thank you:

Body Weight Ab Exercises for a Flat Stomach | Shape Magazine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OkDg0u7Pkg
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    You may decide to keep the belly. But saying "there's no way" is, well... bullish*t.

I get it. it's no fun. I'm 6'1" and I'd been 185-188 for decades. I turned 49 this year. As a bit of an experiment, I changed my diet to see if I could A) drop 10 pounds and B) lose no muscle mass. The biggest (and most disappointing) contributor to the success of that experiment was... cutting out about 1/2 of my alcohol intake.

I constantly argue with myself regarding whether that was a "success"... I really like miss those high-gravity IPAs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I'm 44 and let's face it,there's no way my belly is gonna absorb back. I do look skinny and in shape,but when wearing lycra the MAMIL looks take over,the f...ing belly is there. I only drink a pint of beer per week and sort of look after my diet but let's face it,when you get old you gain fat,period. That's what the guy in the MAMIL movie says. Rant over.
    I guess you could always resort to wearing Spanx under your jersey

Forever a Student
    Age has nothing to do with it.

Well... it's giving you that excuse.

Sure, blame it on the beer.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I dropped 55 lb last 8 years due to biking instead of car. I'm back in work pants I put in the rag pile 25 years ago. Yes, my skin shrank eventually. No, the pot belly is still there, the last place to lose the fat,
    Up the milage, decrease the carbs, it can happen. I just deleted sugar, my preferred vice instead of alcohol. Sucralose & aspertame do it for me, but there is no substitute for ethanol yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Embrace the belly fairing OP, life is too short to worry about the last 10lbs. Have fun, ride as much as you're able and the weight may or may not come off.

I can't stand skintight jerseys no matter how fat or thin I am.

If you want to look snazzy post ride:

https://www.clubrideapparel.com/coll...s/mens-jerseys

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I'm 44 and let's face it,there's no way my belly is gonna absorb back. I only drink a pint of beer per week and sort of look after my diet but let's face it,when you get old you gain fat,period.
    There's lot's of new info on diet, gut bacteria, and connection to the brain.

In a nutshell, the thinking on gut and brain is good gut bacteria burns fat, and likes to feed on good food. Bad gut bacteria likes to eat junk, sends signals to the brain to eat more junk, and creates fat. This is of course grossly oversimplified. Given the opportunity, bad gut bacteria will try to outnumber good bacteria, and encourage you to eat more bad things.
    It's not always clear what is bad, either. For instance anything made with white refined wheat flour - bad - like pure sugar.

You can lose it. Eat better per above, and keep moving or stand more during the day. If you watch TV or movies at home, do it standing for at least part of the time, for instance. In the meantime wear the more loose fit stuff.
    I'm early 60's and have not gained any weight for over 25 years. And I drink some beer,too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=harryman;5191509]Embrace the belly fairing OP, life is too short to worry about the last 10lbs. Have fun, ride as much as you're able and the weight may or may not come off. [url]

I actually agree with this. The difference in lifestyle - from 188 to 178 was fine. The last five pounds... that will be drastic, e.g. no beer, hyper-vigilant about diet, etc. For what? The sponsors aren't calling. Plus, not one likes "that guy" anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Peal Izumi make some good jerseys that are sized for normal people. I've found that in most bike jerseys, an XL is equivalent to a S or maybe M in normal clothes.

Proud luddite
    I am 51 now and it seems over the last year my belly has emerged. I think someone is feeding me buttered pork chops in my sleep. 🙁

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I'm 45, I lost 17kg this year (mostly by switching to running), i'm throwing out cloths left and right...heck I now fit into my GF's jeans (she's lost weight too, wasnt exactly fat before, but in running shorts and a sports bra now, holy crap!). None of my bib shorts fit,but a lot of my jerseys fit well now, not oooh thats a bit tight.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    When I was 38, I lost 30 lbs by changing my eating habits and exercising. I'm 52 now, and have never gained that weight back (I actually weigh less now than then. So you can definitely blame it on age, since your metabolism slows, and exercise is more difficult as you get older, but it's not a foregone conclusion that you'll gain weight as you age.

True, you'll have to work harder and watch your diet more to lose weight (or keep your weight constant), but there's no physiological inevitability that you'll gain weight as you age. So if you're happy with your weight, appearance, and lifestyle, then that's totally fine; but if you would be happier without the belly, you can definitely do something about it. I understand that it's not easy, in fact, it's likely one of the hardest things to do, which is why the decision whether or not it's worth the commitment is up to the individual.

The important thing is to keep riding!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Di2
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9 Ultegra
    2013 Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon XTR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    It's a poor man who can't build a shelter over his pride and joy.

gazing from the shadows
    Just remember that being a bit overweight is a survival advantage in a major illness*, which happens to most people as they age. Call your belly "a prudent measure for a longer life".

* https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3803151/ for a brief summary of some of the literature.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Just remember that being a bit overweight is a survival advantage in a major illness*, which happens to most people as they age. Call your belly "a prudent measure for a longer life".
    This may be true to a degree. However, how many 90+ year-olds do you know who don't look like they're on a starvation diet?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This may be true to a degree. However, how many 90+ year-olds do you know who don't look like they're on a starvation diet?
    Median age for first cancer diagnosis is generally in the 60s, though there is variation by type of cancer of course. Similar median age for first heart attack too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Median age for first cancer diagnosis is generally in the 60s, though there is variation by type of cancer of course. Similar median age for first heart attack too.
    And we now know that even being 20lbs. overweight increases your risk for both of these diseases.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    And we now know that even being 20lbs. overweight increases your risk for both of these diseases.
    This. It may be true that carrying extra weight in case of major illness increases your chances of survival, but it's ultimately better not get sick, and reap the overall benefits of lower weight in the meantime.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Di2
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9 Ultegra
    2013 Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon XTR

gazing from the shadows
    Do we know that? I would be interested in your sources.

If so, what is the extra risk for that 20lbs? Is it a 1% higher chance, or 10%? Or 0.01%?

Will 20 lbs on a 150 lb person be the same as 20 lbs on a 200 lb person?

Will a regular cyclist have the same risk factors with extra weight as someone who does not do any cardio?

I am not saying HUGE weight is not a health problem, it is. But when it comes to mortality from all causes taken together...

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...er_share=fb5f9

...97 studies were retained for analysis, providing a combined sample size of more than 2.88 million individuals and more than 270 000 deaths....

Results Random-effects summary all-cause mortality HRs for overweight (BMI of 25-<30), obesity (BMI of ≥30), grade 1 obesity (BMI of 30-<35), and grades 2 and 3 obesity (BMI of ≥35) were calculated relative to normal weight (BMI of 18.5-<25). The summary HRs were 0.94 (95% CI, 0.91-0.96) for overweight, 1.18 (95% CI, 1.12-1.25) for obesity (all grades combined), 0.95 (95% CI, 0.88-1.01) for grade 1 obesity, and 1.29 (95% CI, 1.18-1.41) for grades 2 and 3 obesity. These findings persisted when limited to studies with measured weight and height that were considered to be adequately adjusted. The HRs tended to be higher when weight and height were self-reported rather than measured.

Conclusions and Relevance Relative to normal weight, both obesity (all grades) and grades 2 and 3 obesity were associated with significantly higher all-cause mortality. Grade 1 obesity overall was not associated with higher mortality, and overweight was associated with significantly lower all-cause mortality. The use of predefined standard BMI groupings can facilitate between-study comparisons.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Pick up a body weight training book such as Convict Conditioning . See if that helps. If not, you’re out only the ~$8 cost of the book.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Proud luddite
    For me it's not a matter of gaining weight....I've maintained 160-165 pounds for about the last 15 years and at 5' 10" tall I don't consider that to be overweight at all. But now that I'm 51 y.o., it seems to be more a matter of my weight being distributed differently. More fat around the belly and love handles. I eat a healthy diet and exercise 5 days/week, don't drink much alcohol and all that, but I've just got this new little buddy (my gut) that wasn't there years ago. I chalk it up to natural aging....probably decreased testosterone that comes with aging, leading to increased body fat. I don't worry too much about it and don't want to get into testosterone supplements. If it gets to be a problem I could get a little more strict with my diet but I'm not there yet. As far as I'm concerned, it's just part of the process. Circle of life you know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I am 51 now and it seems over the last year my belly has emerged. I think someone is feeding me buttered pork chops in my sleep. 
    LOL, I hear you, I went from 150 lb at 40 years old to 162 at 51. Sucks, but I'm not giving up alcohol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do we know that? I would be interested in your sources.

If so, what is the extra risk for that 20lbs? Is it a 1% higher chance, or 10%? Or 0.01%?

Will 20 lbs on a 150 lb person be the same as 20 lbs on a 200 lb person?

Will a regular cyclist have the same risk factors with extra weight as someone who does not do any cardio?

I am not saying HUGE weight is not a health problem, it is. But when it comes to mortality from all causes taken together...

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...er_share=fb5f9
    I don't remember the exact source, but it was a credible source, not one of those alarmist health newsletters with lots of exclamation points at the end of every sentence!!!

To clarify, I believe "20 lbs. overweight" means 20 lbs. over the correct weight-overweight threshold. Which means if your correct weight for your height ranges 140-175, then 195 would be 20 lbs. overweight.

Though I would agree that 195 lbs. for someone in good physical shape would be a lot different than 195 lbs. for a sedentary person. It is now known that sitting for extended periods has implications for long term health even if you do short periods of vigorous exercise regularly.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    If you feel and look like a stuffed sausage then don't wear the tight euro clothes. I'm a linebacker build and a 2x on most lines fit like I was a junior in high school. Not all but many of the manufacturers think the only guys that ride road are 5ft 2in and weight 118 lbs.

Look at some of the mtb clothing lines. Fox can be snug but has some realistic sizes. Like when i order a fox xl it first like an xl. Doesn't fit like a lg or a 2xl jua t an xl. And their description of sizing is accurate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast