Thread: Loose headset ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Loose headset ?

When i first bought my defy advanced 3 from the Giant store - there was some rattle/chatter when braking.
    I brought it in and the manager showed me that the headset was loose and taught me to check by holding down the front brake and rocking the bike a little.

My broken fork was replaced under warranty and after picking it up tonight and just taking it out for a quick test spin - I had the same chatter in the front.
    I called the store and the tech there said that it is normal for it to be loose after installing new forks? Does this make sense? understand that it is just loosening the 3 screws and then tightening the headset - but shouldn't this be checked prior to sending off a client with a brand new bike with a fork that had to be replaced under warranty?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wouldn't call it normal, but I would call it 3 bolts and about 5 minutes. Get to work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    thanks for the input.
    I am not going to do this myself - I will bring it back and let them do it - I dont want to risk over tightening and possibly damaging something and voiding my warranty.
    I have to say so far my experience with Giant and the local giant corp store has been less than good.

First my bike was sold to me with a loose heasdset and they forgot to install the ride sense.
    Then the fork breaks - I just found out there was a safety recall on the 2012 dey advanced forks - for cracking. Makes sense as I never crashed and even the store manager said there were zero signs of any mishandling of the bike.
    Now i get it back to find a loose headset. I realize a loose headset is like tying shoes to many of you guys with experience - but not to me.
    I think when you put your cash down - you should receive a product that works as advertised and not have to jump through hoops dealing with defective issues and sub par service.
    I am going to get on the horn to my giant store tomorrow and get to the bottom of this - if they want to preserve their god name and are interested at all in their reputation they will make this right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I hear you re the Giant corp store.
    Can take a bit to find good service.

And I've just learned to torque the headset myself ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    I am going to try and work out something with them tomorrow - we'll see how that goes.

Checking out vids on the web/park tools and reading Zinn now - I can't do worse than the kid working there. Thx.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uphill70 View Post
    I am not going to do this myself - I will bring it back and let them do it - I dont want to risk over tightening and possibly damaging something and voiding my warranty.....
    First my bike was sold to me with a loose heasdset..... Then the fork breaks - I just found out there was a safety recall on the 2012 dey advanced forks - for cracking.
    You have a good bicycle. Defective parts and product recalls are a part of modern life. I would not worry too much about this.

Bicycles aren't that hard to work on. Buy a bicycle tool set and a repair manual (or two). Watch the bicycle repair videos on YouTube. Ask other cyclist/friends for help. Learning to do your own wrenching will improve your cycling experience. If you learn to maintain your own bicycle:

• You will know if your bicycle is safe or not.
    • You won't have to leave your bicycle at the shop for days during prime-season.
    • You can project wear-out dates and have parts available when needed.
    • Repairs can always be performed on rainy days.
    • In the long run... you will save money. Not just the repair fees but also you can shop on line for the best part prices.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    All good suggestions above, but that doesn't excuse the bike store from botching the job. I do my own work, but is it was convenient I'd take it back & make them do it right.
    Don't believe everything you think.