Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    other
    Reputation: CHARLES M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36

    Cool Lugged Stainless meets custom Di2 - Kelly Bedofrd

    This was a lot of fun...




    PezCycling News - What's Cool In Pro Cycling : Kelly Bedford: (VERY) Custom Steel




    a couple years from first talking about it to finished : )



















  2. #2
    AM999's Liberal Facist
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,501
    I. Love. Metal. Bikes. And I cannot lie.

    /me is not a fan of the seat mast though.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  3. #3
    other
    Reputation: CHARLES M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36
    I couldn't figure out how to use a seat post and still do the straight exit brake cable... That said, I probably could have chosen a more reserved mast topper for sure.

  4. #4
    AM999's Liberal Facist
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,501
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLES M View Post
    I couldn't figure out how to use a seat post and still do the straight exit brake cable... That said, I probably could have chosen a more reserved mast topper for sure.
    Being lugged, it certainly is one of the better/best looking seat-mast bikes out there. And damn, what a load of great craftsmanship in one bike everywhere.

    I need to write down what rims those are. Next time I have money to build some hoops, I want those.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  5. #5
    other
    Reputation: CHARLES M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36
    H plus Son TB 14...

    Old school looking and fairly light but wide rim width... These rims wrapped in 25 section tires are a BIG ride quality plus.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,023
    Read the article earlier today, amazing bike. Very innovative with the 2 button shift system; as mentioned in the article it the system isn't for the race group but would really help the recreation group using gears.

  7. #7
    other
    Reputation: CHARLES M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36
    honestly I ride that bike pretty hard... I like it better than standard while riding it in race-like situations.

    Some folks will just really want the big dump of a front mech despite the fact that holding down one of the buttons an put you clear through 12 changes just inside 2 seconds...

    I wish these brains were easy to make or the new Shimano system were easy to hack, as I think I would rather ride this in any situation. It would be pretty tough to agree with me though without being able to try it, and that's just not practical for anyone to do or me to expect...

  8. #8
    AM999's Liberal Facist
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,501

    Re: Lugged Stainless meets custom Di2 - Kelly Bedofrd

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARLES M View Post
    honestly I ride that bike pretty hard... I like it better than standard while riding it in race-like situations.

    Some folks will just really want the big dump of a front mech despite the fact that holding down one of the buttons an put you clear through 12 changes just inside 2 seconds...

    I wish these brains were easy to make or the new Shimano system were easy to hack, as I think I would rather ride this in any situation. It would be pretty tough to agree with me though without being able to try it, and that's just not practical for anyone to do or me to expect...
    It is damn cool that he had it done in reprogramming the brain... But under DMCA in the USA, it probably is not legal if Shimano wanted to stop it.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    343
    Sweet cranks.

  10. #10
    other
    Reputation: CHARLES M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It is damn cool that he had it done in reprogramming the brain... But under DMCA in the USA, it probably is not legal if Shimano wanted to stop it.
    This wasn't strictly speaking a "hack" of an existing brain but rather a whole new circ board... It was then programmed with the correct instructions to make it functional for sequential.

    I wish Shimano and campy had this as an option built in... It wouldn't be difficult at all.

  11. #11
    other
    Reputation: CHARLES M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Sweet cranks.
    The cranks should be available through Pacenti semi-shortly with luck. They've been working on it for a while.

  12. #12
    Sleep Expert
    Reputation: Peanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,962
    Very sweet! Some day I'm hoping to get a custom lugged and carbon mix frame much like the older LeMond bikes.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,893
    First of all I have no doubt that the worksmanship is top notched.
    What type of steel is this?

    If it were me, there's a few things that I would personally do differently.

    - not go with the seat mast design. Look clumsy on a steel. Besides a carbon seatpost would have done a better job absorbing vibration.

    - not go with BB30. The BB30 works best on a frame that is carbon with really oversized downtube (much much bigger than a typical oversized steel tube). But with a steel downtube (even oversized), using BB30 makes not much sense to me since you can't take advantage of the bigger diameter of the bottom bracket shell of BB30. An English BB would have been fine, and more fool proof.

    - not go with the traditional steel fork. A carbon fork would provide better vibration damping. The BB30 and seat mast are both "modern" features which make the frame look modern, but the traditional steel fork make the bike look clumsy (kinda like a lady putting on her elegant dinner dress, only to wear flats with it. Look outta place to my eyes.

    But of course all these are just a reflection of my persoanl taste.

    BTW, I really like that Serotta in your blog.

    In my eyes, I think the Cinelli XCR Rapha is a perfect example of "old meets new".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lugged Stainless meets custom Di2 - Kelly Bedofrd-cinelli-rapha.png  

  14. #14
    Mehpic
    Reputation: 2cflyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    7,964
    brakes alone $600. wow.

    i will add though, one heck of a gorgeous bike.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

    The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

  15. #15
    AM999's Liberal Facist
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,501

    Re: Lugged Stainless meets custom Di2 - Kelly Bedofrd

    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    First of all I have no doubt that the worksmanship is top notched.
    What type of steel is this?

    If it were me, there's a few things that I would personally do differently.

    - not go with the seat mast design. Look clumsy on a steel. Besides a carbon seatpost would have done a better job absorbing vibration.

    - not go with BB30. The BB30 works best on a frame that is carbon with really oversized downtube (much much bigger than a typical oversized steel tube). But with a steel downtube (even oversized), using BB30 makes not much sense to me since you can't take advantage of the bigger diameter of the bottom bracket shell of BB30. An English BB would have been fine, and more fool proof.

    - not go with the traditional steel fork. A carbon fork would provide better vibration damping. The BB30 and seat mast are both "modern" features which make the frame look modern, but the traditional steel fork make the bike look clumsy (kinda like a lady putting on her elegant dinner dress, only to wear flats with it. Look outta place to my eyes.

    But of course all these are just a reflection of my persoanl taste.

    BTW, I really like that Serotta in your blog.

    In my eyes, I think the Cinelli XCR Rapha is a perfect example of "old meets new".

    In fairness, finding a racing BB and crankset these days with performance in mind... That is not BB30 is practically impossible. At least with relatively off the shelf parts.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ridingred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    152
    I love my steel lugged Bedford!!!

  17. #17
    other
    Reputation: CHARLES M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36
    That's the tough part Marc... Finding a lot of top line parts now means using more modern standards.

    It's a sticking point for a lot of builders (steel bb30). And like one of the posts above, they'll argue on one hand that "steel is just as stiff as carbon" and later in the same conversation say that BB30 on steel doesn't make sense because there's no getting the stiffness out of smaller tubes. But you can make steel plenty stiff and it's not down to just tube size but also about wall thickness that determines the stiffness...

    Some might say "it looks wrong" but several people that saw this bike assumed the cranks were not BB30...

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: colorider7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    257
    Absolutely stunning build! Congrats!

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

    /me is not a fan of the seat mast though.
    Looks clunky.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: MrMook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    366
    I gotta say...this is kind of an ugly bike.

  21. #21
    B05
    B05 is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    254


    very Fn neat.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: MrMook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    366
    ^^^

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    195
    I can't say I like the old lugged style of frame in general, but this is truly a work of art. Also, I can appreciate wanting a frame that no one is willing to build.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    902
    gorgeous, one of a kind...incredible! I have only been riding for a year and I have seen a few threads in the last few days that make me realize I must have a steel bike.
    3 road bikes, 2 MTB, 1 CX and 1 Fatbike....for now

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    75

    Just Awesome

    First, CharelsM, that bike's frame is awesome. I have been looking at having a 953 stainless lugged bike built, still on the fence but your bike makes a strong case for me to continue looking at this option. Just stunning. All the details are icing on the cake.
    And, you have ruined electronic shift for me now. The shift gear in front in turn shifts gear in rear feature devised for your bike is now a must because I know it exist. The cost of the Di coupled with the cost (if they would do it again!) of making the pieces to rig it makes my budget cry.
    Common to us both though are your wheel choice, brake choice and the cables. Question: are the eeBrakes a huge leap better than say, SRAM Reds version or Campy Record level brakes? (I could really use that money elswhere if it's a wash between he ee's and top level grade brakes). SRAM Hydro rim brakes are on my look at list too.
    I'm not in the know enough to stray from the norm with crank choice as you are, will go with a complete group, but your choice does flow the whole build.
    Devil's advcate: with any endeavor there are things that go well and some not so well. What would you have done differently now that you have lived with it for awhile?
    She is beautiful, thank you for showing/sharing it. Will be screen saver for awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. spirito meets teh moreon meets......
    By YuriB in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 11:45 AM
  2. Dogma meets EPQ
    By AnthonyL88 in forum Pinarello
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 03:35 AM
  3. SBA: Stolen Bike Alert - white custom lugged from Palo Alto
    By francois in forum Northern California
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
  4. cyclist meets bus.....
    By physasst in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 07:47 AM
  5. Anderson custom builder: 953 lugged frame available...
    By Kwantani in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 06:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Contest

Tour De France

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook