Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17

    Lupine Edison 5 - effective night training at last!

    Gang,

    This thing is awesome! The night hours are finally mine!! I'm using this on my Colnago C50 with the new 31.8mm bracket. Lately I've been frustrated by an inability to ride during the day due to various responsibilities. Trainer was getting old fast. This is going to change my training in a big way, not to mention the fact that it's a whole different experience at 2AM - kinda spooky, fun, new, relaxing all at the same time. I feel totally safe with the outrageous output of the Edison.

    I recently purchased a Lupine Edison 5 from Todd at www.petersonbikegear.com and wrote up the followng for the product review area:

    "After lots of research, I finally took the plunge on the Lupine Edison 5. Everything about this setup is top-notch: housing, mounting, bulb, light pattern, switch, battery, charger. It was expensive, but I have no regrets whatsoever. It's a "no excuses" product that does everything right, and it's compact and lightweight to top it all off. I did my first night ride last night and the unit surpassed all my (high) expectations. No interference with my Polar s720i HRM, which is a big plus (presumably because of the shielding afforded by the aluminum housing). Having this light has finally opened up the night hours for training. Give Todd Peterson a shout at petersonbikegear dot com and he'll take care of you."

    BK

  2. #2
    "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
    Reputation: croswell1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    687
    (choke)..........$750. bucks?
    ~ just "Don" (not a bike scientist)

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17

    outrageous performance, outrageous price

    I choked too, but in the end I came to terms with the cost for such a mission-critical component. Wheel upgrade will have to wait, and I'll need to take the spouse out to dinner before she finds out how much I spent. Email Todd for current pricing...

    BK

  4. #4
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,094
    Quote Originally Posted by bk_856er
    I choked too, but in the end I came to terms with the cost for such a mission-critical component. Wheel upgrade will have to wait, and I'll need to take the spouse out to dinner before she finds out how much I spent. Email Todd for current pricing...

    BK
    Maybe you could consider cooking for her instead. It's a lot less expensive.
    Don't believe everything you think.

  5. #5
    "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
    Reputation: croswell1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    687
    [QUOTE=bk_856er]I choked too, but in the end I came to terms with the cost for such a mission-critical component.



    There is no doubt a good efficiant bike light is mission critical, but 750 bucks is too hard to swallow for me. I built a homemade 20 watt halogen light out of pvc pipe that completely lights up the road for less than 50. It is certainly bright enough for any group fast ride at night, and still leave room for a nice wheelset.

    My homemade pvc bike light...........Part 1

    Not putting you down "856er". Your light is great and my only observation is I wish I could afford it.
    ~ just "Don" (not a bike scientist)

  6. #6
    MB1
    MB1 is offline
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Reputation: MB1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,744

    I am glad you like it but your review reads like spam.

    A completly glowing report of a product that you have owned for a really short time. Have you even got the price of that thing down to a-buck-a-mile?

    Write the thing up again when you get the cost of the thing down to a-dime-a-mile and don't just say how wonderful it is. Include the bad and I might be more inclined to give some weight to your review.

    BTW we ride thousands of miles a year in the dark with a variety of headlights. Cyclists have been riding at night quite successfully pretty much for as long as there have been bicycles. IMHO what really matters is not how well your headlight lights up the road but how well motorists can see you in the dark.

    BTW2 If your wife doesn't kill you she is a saint indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

  7. #7
    Non non normal
    Reputation: bigrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    9,217
    750 bucks?

    This cracks me up.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

  8. #8
    Resident Dutchbag
    Reputation: rogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider
    750 bucks?

    This cracks me up.
    750 bucks sounds like a lot, but you get a bulb, a battery and a switch for it in return. Rumor has it it comes in a genuine aluminum housing too.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

  9. #9
    Non non normal
    Reputation: bigrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    9,217
    Quote Originally Posted by rogger
    750 bucks sounds like a lot, but you get a bulb, a battery and a switch for it in return. Rumor has it it comes in a genuine aluminum housing too.

    Yeah and the light beam shakes like Shakira when you ride on a bumpy road.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    664
    Lupine builds nice stuff, but it is still a welch allen bulb and ballast. For half the price you could have had the same quality and output light from L&M.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17

    not spam, just excitement

    Sorry if the review looked like spam. I'm just excited about the thing and wanted to share my initial impressions. I'm a sucker for a really well-executed product. I will report back again in about a year with the good and the bad. Lots of Lupine info out there already, so read up if you're interested. I also wanted to give some attention to my source since they (small one-person operation) went out of their way to set me up and save me a few bucks. I like to support the little guy enthusiast whenever I can. The cost is high, but comparable domestic HID systems are also big $$. I'm riding at night now and I'm giddy as hell...

    BK

  12. #12
    7-Speedster
    Reputation: Enviro Mental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    345
    Dang, that's worth more than both of my bikes together!

    I'm a firm believer in a quality light, don't get me wrong, but holy carp!
    Also there's a lot to be said for an 8' road shoulder and a full moon on a cloudless night!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    - Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868-1919)
    paraphrased of, and attributed to François-Marie Arouet aka. Voltaire (1694-1778)

  13. #13
    Resident Dutchbag
    Reputation: rogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider
    Yeah and the light beam shakes like Shakira when you ride on a bumpy road.
    Mmmmmmmmm.... Shakira......
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by bk_856er
    Gang,

    This thing is awesome! The night hours are finally mine!! I'm using this on my Colnago C50 with the new 31.8mm bracket. Lately I've been frustrated by an inability to ride during the day due to various responsibilities. Trainer was getting old fast. This is going to change my training in a big way, not to mention the fact that it's a whole different experience at 2AM - kinda spooky, fun, new, relaxing all at the same time. I feel totally safe with the outrageous output of the Edison.

    I recently purchased a Lupine Edison 5 from Todd at www.petersonbikegear.com and wrote up the followng for the product review area:

    "After lots of research, I finally took the plunge on the Lupine Edison 5. Everything about this setup is top-notch: housing, mounting, bulb, light pattern, switch, battery, charger. It was expensive, but I have no regrets whatsoever. It's a "no excuses" product that does everything right, and it's compact and lightweight to top it all off. I did my first night ride last night and the unit surpassed all my (high) expectations. No interference with my Polar s720i HRM, which is a big plus (presumably because of the shielding afforded by the aluminum housing). Having this light has finally opened up the night hours for training. Give Todd Peterson a shout at petersonbikegear dot com and he'll take care of you."

    BK
    Still in sticker shock! What does the replacement bulb cost? How long do the bulbs last for?
    RAGBRAI's Team Ride to the RIght
    <a href="http://www.ridetotheright.org/">

    <img border="0" src="http://members.aol.com/claybowler/images/rttrwebbanner.png" width="380" height="60">

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17
    The Lupine website has some specs on bulb life, as well as some pros/cons on halogen vs. HID. I almost went with their "nightmare" halogen/Li-ion setup, which probably would have been enough, but in the end I was suduced by the sheer output of the HID system.

    The HID bulbs are expensive to replace, and replacement must be done by the dealer as I understand it. HID bulbs have no filament, so they might be more rugged than a traditional bulb. You definitely pay a premium for HID technology. Lupine actually makes their own ballast, so this is not your basic welch allen setup (runs at 16W and claims 950 lumens). The Li battery adds to the high cost.

    Somewhere on the mtbr site there is a very decent "light shootout" and the following is also an interesting comparison of beam patterns:

    http://terrengsykkel.no/img.php?d=gu...er2005&id=1424

    BK

  16. #16
    Alien Musician
    Reputation: aliensporebomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,544
    I hear the HID lights, though bright, have a housing you could cook an egg on.

    There's a morning bike commuter who uses a Cateye Stadium light and the
    first time I saw it I swore it was some guy on a motorcycle.

    Were you able to take the thing off your bike when done riding without burning
    yourself to a crisp?

    What's battery life like?

    I really love HID lighting but the cheapest I've seen has about 3.5-4 hours of
    battery life and the best I've seen is verging on 6 but is within $150 of the
    price that bk_856er quotes for this unit. It looks like the median price is
    in the $500-$550 range.

    In the meantime I take my multiple white LED lights out and they're pretty
    bright when ganged together but singly it would be scary.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17
    I hear 'ya. My quest for a modern light started while I was out running at 2AM (wishing I was riding) and a cyclist blasted by in the opposite direction with some type of HID setup. I could've sworn it was a helicopter coming at me. My "epiphany" was that late night riding could be a sensible option and lighting systems had come a LONG way compared to 15 years ago.

    The Lupine housing gets warm, but not too hot to touch. It probalby gets hotter if it's on for a while without airflow, but I had no problem removing it after my ride. If the Edison gets too hot the system will reduce the power from 16W to 10W in order to protect the light (or so the manual says).

    I believe my battery is rated for 4.5hrs, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

    Yep: HID + Li-ion = $$

    BK

  18. #18
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,690

    Homemade lights

    For just a little over $100 I made a set of handlebar and helmet mount lights. A 20w narrow beam handlebar mount and a 20w wide beam helmet mount. This included the housings (JC Whitney fog light housings), switches, wire, halogen bulbs, handlebar and helmet mounts, batteries, fuses, carry pouch and smart charger. Here's a link to a post I made over at MTBR http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=light

    I'm not sure how many lumens they put out but theres plenty of light for mountain biking. Road biking actually needs less light than mountain biking, to see and be seen. Run time is over 2.5 hours actual, not computed.

    That price is insane. There are many less costly systems that put out more light than you need on the road. If you aren't a shill for Lupine then you succumbed to their advertising. I'm sure you've got a quality product that puts out lots of light. Enjoy.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

    There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

    "We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

  19. #19
    Moderator
    Reputation: Scot_Gore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,404

    Someone with more knowledge help me out.

    First a disclaimer. I've got big streak of gadget/gear Weenie in me. I often find myself paying premiums on things just to be the first kid on the block. I often buy one or two levels up from what I need "just because I can".

    Now, I've wanted a nice light set for a long time now. I first got interested in the Night Rider HID stuff and was kinda thinkin it would evenually come down in price, but it hasn't and even more expensive systems are poping up all over the place.

    So someone help me out here:

    What makes this only cost $14.99



    and this Cost $900.00.

    a) The "Cost of Goods Sold" Components
    b) The Volume of Sales Delta (250,000 units@14.99 = 5000 units@900)
    c) There's a sucker born every minute
    d) You get what you pay for
    e) Something completely different

    I'm the kind of guy that dosn't mind paying extra for most things, but these light systems strike even a guy like me as what they would call in lending "usery". There must be some key knowledge that I don't understand about lights that creates these kinds of prices.

    Someone give me the insiders scope.

    Thanks
    Scot
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17

    Why the hostility?

    I did my research, swallowed hard, paid my money and recieved a product I'm excited about. Lights can be had for lots less money and if you're technically inclined you can even build one yourself. It's debatable how much light is "enough" - the more the better as far as I'm concerned. There are different light/battery technologies at various price points. Why the hostility and references to spam and shill?? I'm not trying to defend my purchase or put down other products, and I certainly have no connection to Lupine or anyone else. I'm also not trying to suggest that anyone NEEDS a light like this. I'll be the first to admit that the Edison costs an outrageous amount of coin, but so do the other HID/Li-ion setups (L&M, NiteRider, etc.). I feel safer out there at 2AM and for that reason alone I'm happy. Poorer, but happy.

    BK

  21. #21
    Bickety bam!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,544

    Light on top..

    Quote Originally Posted by Scot_Gore
    First a disclaimer. I've got big streak of gadget/gear Weenie in me. I often find myself paying premiums on things just to be the first kid on the block. I often buy one or two levels up from what I need "just because I can".

    Now, I've wanted a nice light set for a long time now. I first got interested in the Night Rider HID stuff and was kinda thinkin it would evenually come down in price, but it hasn't and even more expensive systems are poping up all over the place.

    So someone help me out here:

    What makes this only cost $14.99



    and this Cost $900.00.

    a) The "Cost of Goods Sold" Components
    b) The Volume of Sales Delta (250,000 units@14.99 = 5000 units@900)
    c) There's a sucker born every minute
    d) You get what you pay for
    e) Something completely different

    I'm the kind of guy that dosn't mind paying extra for most things, but these light systems strike even a guy like me as what they would call in lending "usery". There must be some key knowledge that I don't understand about lights that creates these kinds of prices.

    Someone give me the insiders scope.

    Thanks
    Scot
    I use the light on top for night riding, and that's all I need for the front. In the rear, red blinky, and a Down Low Glo that a friend of mine gave me for Christmas. Total cost (to me)?: 0 dollars.

    As MB1 said, not so much about seeing 900 feet in front of you, more about cars seeing you at night. Now, mountain biking in the woods over technical stuff in the nighttime, that's something different.

  22. #22
    Non non normal
    Reputation: bigrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    9,217
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    I use the light on top for night riding, and that's all I need for the front. In the rear, red blinky, and a Down Low Glo that a friend of mine gave me for Christmas. Total cost (to me)?: 0 dollars.

    As MB1 said, not so much about seeing 900 feet in front of you, more about cars seeing you at night. Now, mountain biking in the woods over technical stuff in the nighttime, that's something different.

    I disagree. OK, I will admit I put out a little less than 200 bucks for a HID NiteRider system which upgraded a generic light. The difference is this:

    You can be seen a LONG way off because most people think you are a motorcycle or a car with one headlight out. The motorist's awareness of you goes way up.

    Also, I don't have to worry about speed when I am using the HID. I ride where there is no street lights or other light sources so if you are going 20mph and there is a board in the road, you will not see the thing in time to stop or avoid running over it with a cheap light. With the HID I can go 30mph down hills and never have to worry about what I can't see.

    I suspect that MB1 doesn't need that much light because in an urban environment there is enough light on the streets that you could see obstacles without any headlight at all. Maybe an HID in an urban environment would be overkill or even annoying to motorists, I don't know.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    188
    So, do you want someone to say good work team? In that case, good work on your purchase. HIDs are the way to go, at least at this point, for night riding in my opinion, though that of course depends on the situation.
    I suspect the new trail tech 30W hid would have been even brighter for less $$$.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by croswell1


    There is no doubt a good efficiant bike light is mission critical, but 750 bucks is too hard to swallow for me. I built a homemade 20 watt halogen light out of pvc pipe that completely lights up the road for less than 50. It is certainly bright enough for any group fast ride at night, and still leave room for a nice wheelset.

    My homemade pvc bike light...........Part 1
    Croswell,

    I love your lighting system, I'm definately going to build one of those before winter riding sets in this year.

    I've been riding for years with a $100 Marwi 10W light, and it has done everything I've needed.

  25. #25
    MB1
    MB1 is offline
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Reputation: MB1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,744

    We need plenty of light.

    We ride year round and often extend our fall and winter rides well past dark. We own several Nightriders as well as a bunch of assorted other perfectly good lighting systems.

    One thing I have learned after riding at night for over 35 years is that over time all systems fail over time (bikes and weather are hard on bits).

    When there are lots of great lighting systems on the market for under $200 (and plenty under $100) a $750 system that is not likely to last any longer than any other quality system doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

    Sure that expensive light may be a bit brighter than a $200 light but is it 3+ times better? I very much doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook