RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017

Lynskey and Customer Relations

I've been drooling over a Titanium frame for quite a while, and I finally settled on a Lynskey R260 with SRAM Etap HRD. Took a LONG time to get to me: ordered before Thanksgiving 2017 and it was finally delivered 2018 01 16. The bike is beautiful looking, handles flawlessly and the fit was as good as my old custom bike.

Now the stuff that I'm not so happy about. In the build specs, I specified 44cm width bars; the bike came with 42cm bars. Not a huge difference, but not what I ordered and there was no communication about he substitution. Also during the unpacking I found the batteries installed on the derailleurs. SRAM says this should not be done, the batteries should be removed for shipping or long term storage, and a pair of Battery Blocks should be installed. I found the battery charger and the battery caps, to protect the battery when removed, but no battery blocks.

I called Lynskey, after my e-mail and factory messaging attempts were ignored, and spoke with my assigned rep. Uninterested boredom was the attitude I got, along with a nebulous, "we'll look into it". I did get a call back that he was going to speak with a "purchasing agent" about the battery blocks. No apology about the handlebar size switch and no attempt to somehow make up for the mistake. That last contact was ten days ago and I've not heard anything nor received the battery blocks.

During the build phase, I had one communication, about three weeks in, informing me the frame has bee built and the buildup was starting. Then nothing, until I called Lynskey, only to be told, "oh yeah, it's right here; don't know why it was not sent". I did get the bike about three business days later.

And oh yeah, the tires are directional and the rear tire is mounted backwards!

Thanks for listening. Has anyone else had experiences like this with Lynskey? Like I said, I can't say anyhting bad about the bike, but the company needs some customer service improvement!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Send a copy of this thread to Lynskey. They should understand that they had an opportunity to fix things and be a hero in your eyes as well as those you tell about your bike, and perhaps we would have read about their great customer service instead. But they blew it.

Instead stuff like this can spread and hurt their business reputation. Somebody needs to get the memo. It's too bad because they have a stellar reputation for building quality titanium frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    why are you taking to the rear end? Drop the dashes and send a polite calm email to the head. remove the dashes and spaces.
    mark------ that atmark thing -----lynskeyperformance.com

hope you get sone satisfaction. I hope they get their assembly line sorted out. I worked in the finishing room of a large custom shop and we double checked everything against the original order form. Same for standard off the rack models.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do a search, youíll find plenty of feedback.

Warranty refused for misaligned Lynskey frame

You couldnít give me one... No offense meant, Iím sure the ones that work are just fine, as long as you never have to contact the company. To be fair, youíll find plenty of good feedback as well, I just have zero tolerance for this kind of stuff.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    when i bought my firefly i worked with a reputable local bike shop as a middle-man. that's a good way to avoid these sort of issues. and apologies i know hind sight is always 20/20. might be advice for someone contemplating a similar purchase.

i agree homework on a customer feedback is important. i spoke to purchasers of various titanium road bikes and came away with seven , firefly and mosaic as being among the most reputable builders. i'm sure there are others. didn't follow this advice on an appliance and it nearly bit me in the behind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Do a search, youíll find plenty of feedback.

Warranty refused for misaligned Lynskey frame
    The poster got a brand new replacement frame. What else would you expect? And there is no way a frame leaves a workshop over 1 cm out of alignment. I would say the OP of that thread got way more than Lynskey were on the hook for. I doubt he bought a new frame in the first place.. Dodgy dealer definitely. Interestingly the OP never stated where he bought the frame but was all very keen on calling Lynskey out time and time again. Ultimate troll IMHO.

What the what???
    I ended up purchasing my Lynskey through Adrenaline bikes, in part, because of a bad experience with the Lynskey sales staff. The bike itself has been excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    All bike companies screw up, and that's why people prefer to deal with bike shops because the shop catches the mistakes on your behalf. When you deal direct for a large discount, you become your own concierge and just have to deal with stuff.

Lynskey sells decently designed bikes made of Grade 1 tubing and have a great reputation for low failure rates with tricky Ti welds, yet they'll sell you frame for less than a Chinese importer.

So let's keep some perspective, especially when comparing to a bike as pricey as Firefly.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    wow. I've bought 3 Lynskey frames for myself, direct from Lynskey. one custom build frame, one off the rack complete bike and one closeout bare frame. absolutely no issues at all. flawless frames and a lot less fuss than dealing with a LBS. Like the ex-employee says above , try contacting others at Lynskey directly. I think it is good that you made it public too .. companies who make mistakes which are not addressed promptly should be outed to keep the pressure on them.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OV_Dragonman View Post
    I've been drooling over a Titanium frame for quite a while, and I finally settled on a Lynskey R260 with SRAM Etap HRD. Took a LONG time to get to me: ordered before Thanksgiving 2017 and it was finally delivered 2018 01 16. The bike is beautiful looking, handles flawlessly and the fit was as good as my old custom bike.

Now the stuff that I'm not so happy about. In the build specs, I specified 44cm width bars; the bike came with 42cm bars. Not a huge difference, but not what I ordered and there was no communication about he substitution. Also during the unpacking I found the batteries installed on the derailleurs. SRAM says this should not be done, the batteries should be removed for shipping or long term storage, and a pair of Battery Blocks should be installed. I found the battery charger and the battery caps, to protect the battery when removed, but no battery blocks.

I called Lynskey, after my e-mail and factory messaging attempts were ignored, and spoke with my assigned rep. Uninterested boredom was the attitude I got, along with a nebulous, "we'll look into it". I did get a call back that he was going to speak with a "purchasing agent" about the battery blocks. No apology about the handlebar size switch and no attempt to somehow make up for the mistake. That last contact was ten days ago and I've not heard anything nor received the battery blocks.

During the build phase, I had one communication, about three weeks in, informing me the frame has bee built and the buildup was starting. Then nothing, until I called Lynskey, only to be told, "oh yeah, it's right here; don't know why it was not sent". I did get the bike about three business days later.

And oh yeah, the tires are directional and the rear tire is mounted backwards!

Thanks for listening. Has anyone else had experiences like this with Lynskey? Like I said, I can't say anyhting bad about the bike, but the company needs some customer service improvement!
    Sorry to hear a tale of woe on Lynskey.

The kid who put the bike together could have chosen 42 cm bars because the frame was smaller than one that would be ridden by a guy with 44 cm shoulders. It's fashionable to use wider bars for their leverage, but the narrower ones are more aerodynamic. I'm riding 42's on a 54 cm frame. My shoulder width is not a hair more than 40 cm; the bars that came on the bike. As the years passed, the fastest rider in the bike club showed up on 40 cm bars. So if you're shoulders are less than 44 cm wide, the 42s might turn out being a better fit and give a better ride.

We also decided a while back those tread direction marks are total BS. The tires work the same in both directions say the experts. Hope this makes you feel a bit better. You're a lucky guy! Ride the hell out of that bike as is!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Sorry to hear a tale of woe on Lynskey.

The kid who put the bike together could have chosen 42 cm bars because the frame was smaller than one that would be ridden by a guy with 44 cm shoulders. It's fashionable to use wider bars for their leverage, but the narrower ones are more aerodynamic. I'm riding 42's on a 54 cm frame. My shoulder width is not a hair more than 40 cm; the bars that came on the bike. As the years passed, the fastest rider in the bike club showed up on 40 cm bars. So if you're shoulders are less than 44 cm wide, the 42s might turn out being a better fit and give a better ride.
    It is normally not up to the mechanic what size bars, stem, crank goes on the bike. That stuff comes from the build sheet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Lynskey sells decently designed bikes made of Grade 1 tubing and have a great reputation for low failure rates with tricky Ti welds, yet they'll sell you frame for less than a Chinese importer.

So let's keep some perspective, especially when comparing to a bike as pricey as Firefly.
    True, but one appeal of buying from somebody like Lynskey (made in USA, easy to contact, etc.) is the customer service. Quality is another reason, and when you can snag a new one for $600-$700 off of eBay from the Lynskey store, it's hard to beat. It makes one question what, exactly, you get that's different when you go to the Lynskey website and pay $2k+ for what seems to be the same frame though.

I've purchased two frames direct through Lynskey (back in 2011), and have had a decent enough experience. One guy, now "retired", felt like a used car salesman, but it worked out in the end. After a little back and forth about an issue, it was resolved to my satisfaction. I've had no other problems, and any time I contact them these days, they're prompt. I am usually asking about a potential purchase though, so they may treat those messages a bit different than a 'you screwed up' email. That's certainly bad business, but may be what's going on.

I agree with whoever said to just email the owner, Mark. That's the best way to solve things, assuming you can get through.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    In the build specs, I specified 44cm width bars; the bike came with 42cm bars. Not a huge difference, but not what I ordered and there was no communication about he substitution.
    First question thaqt comes to mind is whether these were 44cm bars as stated by the bar manufacturer. Handlebars are measured either center to center or outside to outside so one company's 42 is another company's 44. On my current bike I have bars 2 cm wider than I really wanted because I didn't do my research on how the bar manufacturer sized their bars. Not a big deal but something I notice once in a while.

If the bars are marked 44, then you got what you ordered. If they are marked 42 then they owe you a swap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    True, but one appeal of buying from somebody like Lynskey (made in USA, easy to contact, etc.) is the customer service. Quality is another reason, and when you can snag a new one for $600-$700 off of eBay from the Lynskey store, it's hard to beat. It makes one question what, exactly, you get that's different when you go to the Lynskey website and pay $2k+ for what seems to be the same frame though.

I've purchased two frames direct through Lynskey (back in 2011), and have had a decent enough experience. One guy, now "retired", felt like a used car salesman, but it worked out in the end. After a little back and forth about an issue, it was resolved to my satisfaction. I've had no other problems, and any time I contact them these days, they're prompt. I am usually asking about a potential purchase though, so they may treat those messages a bit different than a 'you screwed up' email. That's certainly bad business, but may be what's going on.

I agree with whoever said to just email the owner, Mark. That's the best way to solve things, assuming you can get through.
    All true. My point was that the low paid mechanic or warehouse worker in any bike company is equally likely to screw up and ship the wrong item.

As far as dummy batteries go, a lot of that kind of stuff is generally scoffed at and not treated as important. If it is important to you, let the company know and ask them for the missing parts. Some of the OP's tone sounds like an accusation of dummy battery fraud, rather than just a request for some cheap add-ons.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I bought a Lynskey R240 frame off EBay direct from Lynskey about 14 months ago and could not be happier with the bike. I picked up an Enve fork and headset too. I told them I could set the crown race but they did it for me anyway. I was very pleased with the overall transaction and, after building it with a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra parts, it is now one of my favorite bikes.

I don't know anything about Etap other than the owner of my LBS rides it on his travel bike and loves it so I can't comment on how harmful, if at all, it may have been to not remove the batteries for shipping and not supply the battery blocks you mentioned. It may be just SRAM being cautious...I don't know. If it works now, it was likely immaterial.

As for the bar width, lots of explanations, including Kerry's. Personally, I used to swear by 44cm bars until I bought the only bike I never built myself, a Fondriest TF2.0 and it came with 42cm bars....I loved the way it felt and have built every bike since then, including the Lynskey,with the 42cm bars.

I ride Conti 4000s and sometimes I think I spend more time looking for the "Rotation" arrow than I do mounting the tires. Easy fix and I sure wouldn't complain because someone in a half lit shop couldn't find that impression on the side of a tire.

If you like the handling and fit, which seems to be the case, ride it till it drops. If you feel compelled to share your complaints with Lynskey, I would to it privately as nothing you said would stop me from buying another Lynskey......assuming, at age 65, I live long enough to wear out the one I have now. Enjoy the Ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Just curious: do you and Lynskey agree on the way the handlebar width is measured? o-o vs c-c?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    Just curious: do you and Lynskey agree on the way the handlebar width is measured? o-o vs c-c?
    That could be it. Even bar manufacturers can't agree on that

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    That could be it. Even bar manufacturers can't agree on that
    But you can find out how a bar is measured, just like whether a frame is C-C or C-T.

So if the customer says they want a Cinelli 42, the assumption is that the customer knows what a Cinelli 42 is. But if a customer says, "I use a 42", the normal assumption is that is the more typical C-C, and the person spec'ing the bike needs to keep that in mind.

In the OP's case it would be easy enough to figure out how the bar is measured with the brand and model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
    I ride Conti 4000s and sometimes I think I spend more time looking for the "Rotation" arrow than I do mounting the tires. Easy fix and I sure wouldn't complain because someone in a half lit shop couldn't find that impression on the side of a tire.
    Especially when you consider that the only reason the directional arrow is on those tires is to keep Conti from being deluged with "Which way do I install my tires?" questions from people who can't tell, just by looking at the tire, that rotation direction is meaningless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Quick update:

Yesterday, I contacted Lynskey to check on the status of promised parts and found the rep I had been dealing with is "no longer here". Got transferred to a new person that seems very eager to make things right. Because of what is involved with a handlebar swap, I've decided not to press on that front. Hopefully, now, by the end of the week or next Monday my missing pieces will be here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quick update:

Yesterday, I contacted Lynskey to check on the status of promised parts and found the rep I had been dealing with is "no longer here". Got transferred to a new person that seems very eager to make things right. Because of what is involved with a handlebar swap, I've decided not to press on that front. Hopefully, now, by the end of the week or next Monday my missing pieces will be here.
    If the handlebar thing was their bad, I see no reason why you shouldn't ask them to make that right

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    If the handlebar thing was their bad, I see no reason why you shouldn't ask them to make that right
    They subbed a 42cm for a 44cm bar. I am just not sure if the effort involved in changing out the bars, unmounting / remounting the brake levers, and finally rewrapping the bars (something I always mess up anyway) and returning the old bars, is worth the hassle for a slightly wider grip on the drops. If this was through a LBS where I could drop it off and let someone else do the work, yeah sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    They subbed a 42cm for a 44cm bar. I am just not sure if the effort involved in changing out the bars, unmounting / remounting the brake levers, and finally rewrapping the bars (something I always mess up anyway) and returning the old bars, is worth the hassle for a slightly wider grip on the drops. If this was through a LBS where I could drop it off and let someone else do the work, yeah sure.
    I get that. It is sorta a pain. But, if its a comfort issue, I'd say take care of it now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Good news: Since a new rep was assigned to the case, things are going my way. Parts from Lynskey arrived and have been installed. The shop doing the work has an order pending with SRAM for the rest of what's needed. I'm hoping to get the bike back real soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good news: Since a new rep was assigned to the case, things are going my way. Parts from Lynskey arrived and have been installed. The shop doing the work has an order pending with SRAM for the rest of what's needed. I'm hoping to get the bike back real soon.
    So itís itís just shy of 3 onths since you bought the bike? And things are starting to go your way? I genuinely and sincerely hope you enjoy this bike for decades. If I buy a premium product I donít do well with Ali Baba service.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.