RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Madone 5.2 compact or Specialized Tarmac Expert Compact

I am just getting back into cycling after a long layoff and I'm researching a lot of bikes. I like Trek and Specialized for their looks and geometry and I am wondering what the consensus would be on the two bikes listed above. Which would you choose and why?
    My main interests are longer club rides and regular execise rides (30-40 miles or longer).

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 Madone
    Just because. I think Trek shops are great as far as taking care of you, nothing wrong with the Tarmac. I also like the integrated computer for the Trek, that is so cool.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Get the Trek if you want 3 year old Specialized technology.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    If it means anything to you, the 5 and 6 series Madones are made in Wisconsin.

Bottom line, though. Ride 'em both and get what fits and "feels" better.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

The Cube
    whichever fits and feels better. is the 5.2 frame made in WI, or is it one of the outsourced ones? there was a thread a while ago about where different bike companies and parts are from, and I recall some trek frames being made foreignly, maybe even...Taiwan.

also, remember, its winter half the year here, so how does that help wisconsinites design good road bikes? (its a joke, don't freak out treknation)
    K$

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    Get the Trek if you want 3 year old Specialized technology.
    Care to provide more information on this?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by TomK1949
    I am just getting back into cycling after a long layoff and I'm researching a lot of bikes. I like Trek and Specialized for their looks and geometry and I am wondering what the consensus would be on the two bikes listed above. Which would you choose and why?
    My main interests are longer club rides and regular execise rides (30-40 miles or longer).
    About 1 1/2 years ago when I was shopping for my next ride I did tons of research, went on numerous test rides and narrowed my choices to the 5.2 Pro and Tarmac Comp. The Tarmac won out for a couple of reasons, but the primary one was ride and handling. Geo (thus handling) is close on both bikes, but I preferred the ride of the Tarmac because (my words) it felt more connected to the road. I think if you prefer a slightly smoother ride, the Madone is the way to go, but if you prefer a somewhat livelier/ connected feel, go with the Tarmac.

That aside, I agree with the others saying fit and feel should trump all else, but again, geo being so close IMO both models will fit similarly, at least IME.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    So PJ did you buy the Tarmac?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by TomK1949
    So PJ did you buy the Tarmac?
    Yes, I did. Closing in on 6k miles...