Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

A Makeshift Boot to the Rescue!

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  trshaner 
#1 ·
Notice that cut tire in the first photo? Not something you want to have happen 19 miles into a bike ride! I don't know what I hit but my tire/tube went immediately flat. I looked around and still didn't find anything sharp.

Usually I'll have a couple dollar bills with me or an energy gel packet. Either would work as a boot. Unfortunately I didn't have them so I looked around and fortunately there was some litter on the side of the road. This was a big slice so I'd need a good sized piece of plastic something to even have a chance of it working.

I found the perfect thing! Something labeled 'purple haze' that I think was for cigar wrappers. I tucked it into my tire and inserted a new tube. I went back to my house the quickest way I could which was 12 miles and, miraculously, it held! The last photo shows how much it was bulging out by the time I got back.

Usually getting a flat is a pretty routine fix but this required some ingenuity and luck to work.

Finger Electric blue Azure Aqua Composite material

Bottle Nail Thumb Plastic bottle Paint

Azure Wrist Aqua Electric blue Teal

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Blue Bicycle part

I need to start making sure I carry something for these because I might not be so lucky next time. Has anyone else had to resort to using a makeshift material to form a boot for a cut tire?

See less See more
#7 ·
Wow, a huge cut.

Tyvek
I wrap my spare tube in a piece of tyvek cut from an overnight letter envelope or from an event ride pin-on number. It's about 3 inches x 5 inches. That protects the tube when it's in the saddle bag.

(Haven't had to use it, so far....wish me luck on the next ride!)

#8 ·
That sounds like a good dual purpose use for a material. I keep my spare tube in its paper box that it comes in which provides some protection for it but leaves it vulnerable to wetness.

I knew I’d need something with some stiffness. I think that wrapper probably had similar consistency to the material you’re describing.

I’ve had small rips in tires before but nothing this large. It definitely put the boot method to the test.

#12 ·
Those have adhesive on them, correct? That would be preferable but as long as care is taken in its placement, a makeshift boot should hold position pretty well given the force applied against it. How long did you have to ride on it? I doubt I would have gotten much more than the 12 miles I did.

I had one similar to that about 5 years ago. I was tubeless at the time and that completely finished tubeless on the road for me. It was such a mess I changed tires and installed tubes as soon as I got home. Never again.

I think Tyvex is another excellent suggestion.
I have no interest in going tubeless for road but this is definitely a good argument to continue using tubes.

#11 ·
I had one similar to that about 5 years ago. I was tubeless at the time and that completely finished tubeless on the road for me. It was such a mess I changed tires and installed tubes as soon as I got home. Never again.

I think Tyvex is another excellent suggestion.

#21 ·
I had light-weight tubular wheels and tires on all my bikes, but switched to clinchers many years ago. I always keep a couple of different size sections cut from an old tubular tire with each bike. A well-worn lightweight clincher tire with the bead cut off should work just as well. I'm sure we all have worn out tires and if not you will soon. Save one or two!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.