pinoy thunder

MET Stradivarius II owners..

I have searched the forum and it seems like there's not much infor regarding the Strad II's..I think this helmet looks gorgeous. It'll look awesome with my team kit for next season..
    How does this helmet fit? How does it compare to a large Pneumo or a large Bell Sweep? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.met-helmets.com/ProdottiD...b=143&idcat=14
    Last edited by stihl; 11-16-2005 at 09:39 AM.
    Mi piace la mia pasta al dente..

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by stihl
    I have searched the forum and it seems like there's not much infor regarding the Strad II's..I think this helmet looks gorgeous. It'll look awesome with my team kit for next season..
    How does this helmet fit? How does it compare to a large Pneumo or a large Bell Sweep? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

you might not get many replies since these are not imported into the US & Canada

banned
    Mar 2004

The best IMO. .

[QUOTE=stihl]I have searched the forum and it seems like there's not much infor regarding the Strad II's..I think this helmet looks gorgeous.

I love mine, it fits better than any helmet I've tried. However, it's no big deal but you'll have to order from somewhere like SigmasportUK or something. MET is too smart to deal with the jack#ss trial layers and sue-happy Americans. As a resault US distribution is not going to happen.
    Lots of happy users though. .

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/cl...6_1636crx.aspx

pinoy thunder
    [QUOTE=KATZRKOL]
    I have searched the forum and it seems like there's not much infor regarding the Strad II's..I think this helmet looks gorgeous.

I love mine, it fits better than any helmet I've tried. However, it's no big deal but you'll have to order from somewhere like SigmasportUK or something. MET is too smart to deal with the jack#ss trial layers and sue-happy Americans. As a resault US distribution is not going to happen.
    Lots of happy users though. .

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/cl...6_1636crx.aspx
    Exactly my thoughts. I was planning to order from Geoffrey Butler in the UK. It's about $133 shipped..not bad considering an Atmos is about $190..My main concern is the fit..
    So I'm assuming that the fit of the Strad I and II is identical..Pls. correct me of I'm wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    You probably came across my review for my Strad (original, not the newer II). My head's quite small and I was concerned that it would be too big. The shop told me how adjustable they are, so I orderd it (also from G. Butler in the UK--they were very helpful) since I was NUTS for the looks of it. Very comfortable for my head, which also fit nicely into Giros. The Strad's shape and retention system, however, allow it to sit on my head without any side-to-side or back-to-front movement even with the straps just less than snug (not loose, but not tight, either. This impressed me. Do yourself a favor and order the Strad II; unless it doesn't fit your head properly, you will not be disappointed. Beautiful finish and quality touches on their helmets, too.

pinoy thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantNigel
    You probably came across my review for my Strad (original, not the newer II). My head's quite small and I was concerned that it would be too big. The shop told me how adjustable they are, so I orderd it (also from G. Butler in the UK--they were very helpful) since I was NUTS for the looks of it. Very comfortable for my head, which also fit nicely into Giros. The Strad's shape and retention system, however, allow it to sit on my head without any side-to-side or back-to-front movement even with the straps just less than snug (not loose, but not tight, either. This impressed me. Do yourself a favor and order the Strad II; unless it doesn't fit your head properly, you will not be disappointed. Beautiful finish and quality touches on their helmets, too.
    Thank you for the advice. I currently wear a Giro Pneumo in a size L right now. It is little bit loose for me and the medium size Pneumo is too small. I just hope that the M/L size for the Strad II's will fit my fat head Or maybe I just need to lose weight if it doesn't fit! ;)

RoadBikeReview Member

Strad's

I've not tried the II but have worn a Strad since 2000. In fact working on my 3rd having had the good or bad fortune of crash testing them at speed.

I bought mine when I lived in London, after cracking my Giro in an accident with a wayward pedestrian.

As the other posters have noted, it fits well, at lease for my noggin. Comfortable, relatively cool and light. I preferred the older front pad arrangement but no one will likely notice the difference. The newer models improved on the strap adjustment buckles which are now very easy to use.

As for the fuctional purpose, the work extremely well. I ran into the back of a stopped Ford Fiesta in London traffic going over 20 mph. It was head and hands first on that one. Pretty bad mess of my bike which long time posters will remember pics from. My forehead hurt a bit the next day as did my nose from the riding glasses getting pushed onto my face but not even a headache from that accident.

Upon my recent returned to the States, I clipped a pedestrian rail on a route I rarely took. Basically got my bars hooked onto the rail which resulted in a sharp and violent loop. Landed on my head and ass. Got knocked out and ER'd. After MRI and Xrays of neck, back and ass, a broken coccyx but that was it. Helmet did it's job.

I still have two left plus a Element V which a better for summer riding. Worth looking into.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I just got a Strad II last week from the UK. Thankfully it fits my head very well so it's very comfortable, and stays put even without the chin strap connected. The helmet shape is probably better for oval heads, similar to Giro and Limar, rather than rounder heads. Ventilation is very good - I even tested it riding on the trainer. It looks even better in person. The colors all have a bit of metallic to them which doesn't really show that well in pics. For a helmet with the shell wrapped clear around the bottom edge mine is quite light at 272.7g for the smaller size.

Only thing I don't like is the placement of the front vent means I will have to put some sunscreen on my forehead when summer comes around again, and the rounded point on the front highlights that my skull skews a bit to the right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Measure your head a couple of times to be certain of its centimeter measurement around, then order accordingly. Each helmet fits a pretty wide range, and the forehead pad can be removed (better airflow without it, but I also wear a thin Halo headband underneat mine for sweat control). On-the-go adjustment is easy, and the straps seem to stay put even when very sweaty, unlike my old Giro, which I had to snug up quite a bit after halfway points during rides. Best of luck with it; you'll have yourself a great lid and mad style.

RoadBikeReview Member

here's why you may want to look elsewhere....

If by "team kit" you mean racing team, it is important to note that met helmets are not sold in the USA, but more importantly, not CPSC approved. That means that if you line up for a USCF race, the starting official will walk over to you and politely tell you that you can't race. A guy on our team found this out a couple years ago, when he got pulled for sporting a selev alien. Just something to consider.

On your left
    Be wary if you have a big head. My head measures about 58-59CM, and my size L Strad (last year's model) barely fits front to rear. It's tight enough that I can't comfortably wear a skull cap under it. By comparison, I have a Bell Ghisallo that has plenty of room to spare, allowing plenty of options for sun & cold weather protection-important for my poor shiny head.
    I'd rather be a bike rider than a bike shiner

pinoy thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by Fignon's Barber
    If by "team kit" you mean racing team, it is important to note that met helmets are not sold in the USA, but more importantly, not CPSC approved. That means that if you line up for a USCF race, the starting official will walk over to you and politely tell you that you can't race. A guy on our team found this out a couple years ago, when he got pulled for sporting a selev alien. Just something to consider.

Oh cr*p Fignon, why didn't I think of that? I just don't know why this helmet sings to me.
    So race officials actually check each rider's helmet? On the last race of this season, there were at least 50 riders in the race. I've never seen a rider get pulled out before because of a helmet..Maybe they can revoke your points if you win if they find out that your helmet is illegal? That would be sad..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Strange, though, since there've been pros racing with METs in the US races (San Francisco, Georgia); perhaps there's a different ruling on that level (or a different governing body). I can't see someone getting tossed from a race because of a technicality like that, especially since METs are approved everywhere else in the free world pretty much. They're clearly pro-level/full-protection helmets and have passed the appropriate tests for most everywhere else, just not the US tests. Tough call. I'd almost suggest getting it anyway since it's so damn cool and comfy.

I suppose you could argue (with race officials if it ever came up--which I don't think it would, but one never knows) that you purchased it because of the fact that it fit your particular head more securely than most of the "domestic" models and that you figured fit was vitally important. Plus, the roads here aren't harder than the roads in, say, Europe. (Other way around if anything.)

banned
    Mar 2004

Hugh?

Quote Originally Posted by Fignon's Barber
    . . but more importantly, not CPSC approved. T

Government agencies like the CPSC is precisely why we (in America) produce so many bad products. Like the FDA, run by a bunch of stupid bureaucrats performing the minimal (but expensive) testing. FDA is the same. . They are only there to be "greased" by drug companies to get their product "certified." They give two shi*ts about your safety. . Oh yes, Celebrex, Vioxx and Phen-Phen. . Wonderful products brought to you by the US Government. I applaud MET for having the mindset to make a great product that's tested to exceed some of the toughest standards, and to not play ball with shysters in States. I for one, am NOT comforted by anything the USG approves,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by KATZRKOL

Government agencies like the CPSC is precisely why we (in America) produce so many bad products. Like the FDA, run by a bunch of stupid bureaucrats performing the minimal (but expensive) testing. FDA is the same. . They are only there to be "greased" by drug companies to get their product "certified." They give two shi*ts about your safety. . Oh yes, Celebrex, Vioxx and Phen-Phen. . Wonderful products brought to you by the US Government. I applaud MET for having the mindset to make a great product that's tested to exceed some of the toughest standards, and to not play ball with shysters in States. I for one, am NOT comforted by anything the USG approves,
    I just read about a helmet maker having to make their foam harder to pass a certification test because of the number of vents. Since it's supposed to crush so your head doesn't have to it seems the standard is resulting in helmets that are less safe. None of them are designed to protect against penetration anyway so crushability is their only merit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=GiantNigel]Strange, though, since there've been pros racing with METs in the US races (San Francisco, Georgia); perhaps there's a different ruling on that level (or a different governing body). I can't see someone getting tossed from a race because of a technicality like that, especially since METs are approved everywhere else in the free world pretty much. They're clearly pro-level/full-protection helmets and have passed the appropriate tests for most everywhere else, just not the US tests. Tough call. I'd almost suggest getting it anyway since it's so damn cool and comfy.

I suppose you could argue (with race officials if it ever came up--which I don't think it would, but one never knows)...

Not debating wether it's a good/bad helmet. If you race, do you ever wonder why you stand on the start line for what seems like forever? the officials are supposed to check numbers to be sure your supposed to be in that race (and paid), and also to check all equipment and uniform. The "pros" you are referring to are members of the UCI, or International Cycling Union. Three years ago, they didn't even HAVE to wear helmets in UCI events held in some countries, like France and Italy. Trust me, there is no debating on the start lines with race officials. As my initial reply,said, if you plan on racing with the helmet, "you may want to look elsewhere".

As a post note, I looked up the official USA Cycling rule for helmet requirements. All helmets must be certified by USDOT or one of the following: ASTM,ANSI,SNELL,CSA, or CPSC. as of year 2010, only USDOT or CPSC certified helmets will be allowed. penalty for using a noncertified helmet: expulsion from race plus $20 fine.
    Last edited by Fignon's Barber; 11-20-2005 at 02:19 PM.