Recycle King

Michelin Lithion 2 vs Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 tire

Greetings all. I want some input as what you all think of these 2 tires I plan to buy as for handling, durability, weight, etc from personal experience if you owned one. Vittoria cost $7 more($29) vs Michelin($22). Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would go with the Michelin Lithion 2 ... very good overall balance of performance and durability

RoadBikeReview Member
    Better luck posting your question here: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/
    Can't chrome carbon.
    Yes, you can call me a slightly opinionated retrogrouch.
    The bicycle is my path to sanity.

Master debator.
    Vittoria. The Michelins seem to wear much faster, and are prone to getting cuts in the tread. The Vittorias wear longer, seem a bit more flat resistant, and perform as well in cornering and the wet imho.
    In fact I have had both, and have a set of each on both my bikes right now, so I'm currently riding both tires on different days.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

mtnroadie
    I run Vittorias on numerous bikes. I have had great luck with them, and always find myself buying another pair for the next build. I ride the Diamante pros, I used to ride the Rubino Pros and they were awesome (currently ordering another set), the Diamantes are even better. I have heard ok reviews for the Michelins Pros, i wouldnt even bother with the Lithions especially if you are considering the Rubino Pros.

I am pretty sure the TPI count is way higher on the Vittorias.

Recycle King
    My main concern is durability and weight since whatever tire I will be buying will be going on a lighter wheelset I will be buying and swapping the stock wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Had two versions of the Rubino's and the first Lithion. Lithion is thinner but the performance is comparable imo.

Unless the Lithion 2 picked up on the improvements from the PR3, expect the Michelin to exhibit cracking pretty quickly. But no means has the tire been compromised. Just unpleasant to look at.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I have a set of lithion 2's in 25c with about 30 miles on them. I found them intolerably bad, feels like riding a tire full of sand. Worse than cheap wire bead kendas.

Also in that 30 miles i popped 3 tubes. Wasnt an install pinch or debris from the previous puncture either. Before that I was flatting about once a year. Im not too picky with tires, but these blew me away with how bad they were.

I had rubino pros and they were great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love my lithion 2s- now have them on both my bikes. The one bike came with Vittorio Diamante Pro's, which I ditched after repeated flats. No experience with rubinos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Litheon 2 has been great for me for the price comment about sand filled feel is so not accurate. Had several sets for 2 years durable fast and trouble free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    +1 for Vittoria Rubino Pro (from someone who ALWAYS rode Michelin ProRace). The cheaper Michelin's I've treid were not worth the effort to mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I'm relatively new to cycling so my experience is limited to the Rubino Pro's. So far so good, no flat after 2K miles or so. I recently upgraded my wheelset and got another set of Rubino Pro's for the new wheels as well since I always see them on sale. Chainlove occasionally has them for around $15-$17 a tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I run Lithion 2's and they have been very reliable. I'm on my second front tyre and third back tyre that I only changed a couple of days ago. In 18 months of using them, one puncture out on the road (500m from home) and 2 punctures when I went for the next day's ride and found the tyre flat.

They definitely don't feel like sand to me and the performance is fine. What I like is they are fairly cheap so I can replace them before wearing too thin.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I use both of these tires for Spring riding, then switch to GP4000s or Pro3/4s for the Summer. They both perform very well, and I only have more Lithions than Rubinos because they were cheaper on sale ($14).

It's slightly less annoying when road debris catastrophically cuts your $15 tire than your $40 tire.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Had Lithion 2s was very happy with them good rolling resistance and rode really nice but started to get too many punctures . Changed rear tyre to Maxxis refuse have had one puncture so far on that from a thorn going through the side . Was getting punctures every second weekend before that and tyre had about 1000km on it. Would still have a Lithion on the back if there was no glass on the road. They seem to be faster than the Maxxis and feel better