RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Most comfortable bibs for heavy rider

It's that time of year again and I'm bib shopping. I'm 5'10'', 205 (but i always pull down to 190-195 by spring/summer) and strength training is my primary discipline -- which means big glutes, hams, and quads.

I like to log 40-60 miles on weekend rides with a few metric centuries a year and am looking to do my first century this year.

I've got some neck and lower back issues that require me to ride a bit more upright (only 1 10mm spacer on top of my stem and the stem at +7), so I sit a bit heavier on the saddle too.

All that said, I still like to push myself (averaging 16-18mph on solo rides).

Ok, now you know how i'm built and how i ride. What are the most comfortable bib shorts you would recommend for numerous hours in the saddle. I'm looking for something around $150+/-.

So far on my list I have:

Gore Ozon bibtights short+
    Louis Garneau Carbon Lazer Bib Shorts
    Castelli Endurance Bib Shorts

Any other suggestions or feedback on those listed? BTW, I like for the belly of the shorts to come up to just above my belly button.

Thanks a ton!

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JSDavis82 View Post
    It's that time of year again and I'm bib shopping. I'm 5'10'', 205 (but i always pull down to 190-195 by spring/summer) and strength training is my primary discipline -- which means big glutes, hams, and quads.

I like to log 40-60 miles on weekend rides with a few metric centuries a year and am looking to do my first century this year.

I've got some neck and lower back issues that require me to ride a bit more upright (only 1 10mm spacer on top of my stem and the stem at +7), so I sit a bit heavier on the saddle too.

All that said, I still like to push myself (averaging 16-18mph on solo rides).

Ok, now you know how i'm built and how i ride. What are the most comfortable bib shorts you would recommend for numerous hours in the saddle. I'm looking for something around $150+/-.

So far on my list I have:

Gore Ozon bibtights short+
    Louis Garneau Carbon Lazer Bib Shorts
    Castelli Endurance Bib Shorts

Any other suggestions or feedback on those listed? BTW, I like for the belly of the shorts to come up to just above my belly button.

Thanks a ton!
    I'm 6'4", 220 lbs., at least until riding season gets underway. I've been pretty happy with Pearl Izumi shorts. They have a pretty thick pad, not to everyone's taste, fwiw.

Many here have liked the Performance house brand (I've never used them, myself.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I'm 6'4", 220 lbs., at least until riding season gets underway. I've been pretty happy with Pearl Izumi shorts. They have a pretty thick pad, not to everyone's taste, fwiw.

Many here have liked the Performance house brand (I've never used them, myself.)
    I've got a pair of the Pearl Elite In-R-Cool but I swear to god their pre-formed chamois' make you look like you've got lady parts. Their comfortable on the bike, but I wouldn't wear them if I was at a CX race or event where I'll be walking around off the bike. Ha.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    6'2" 240. Ridden Pearl, Cannondale, Nike etc. Assos F1Mille or comparable in their lineup are the only bib shorts I will ever ride again. Yes very expensive but my last pair was good for >10 years. I have broken my back 3 times and have a similar riding position as you describe and they are just the best in every aspect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper View Post
    Assos F1Mille or comparable in their lineup are the only bib shorts I will ever ride again. Yes very expensive but my last pair was good for >10 years. I have broken my back 3 times and have a similar riding position as you describe and they are just the best in every aspect.
    Geez bummer about your back man. Yikes! The F1 Milles are just way outta my price range, regardless of longevity. Any other suggestions?

2 fat 4 cycling
    Castelli are cut for skinny Italian riders. Garneau have a more "American" cut. At 5'7" - 180lbs, I'm in a Garneau medium - GREAT for the ego.

I have a few sets of Garneau bibs. I use the Mondo Evo for longer rides and the Fit Sensor for shorter rides. I am also a fan of Garneau's jerseys. Currently wearing their Equipe on hot days. (Large fits me snugly)
    More tea, Mr. Bike?

Big is relative
    Hincapie shorts are awesome and they're on sale at Competitive Cyclist.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Try the Performance Elite. I have the shorts and am happy with them. The bibs are likley very similar. About $60 or so on the usual 'sale'.

2 fat 4 cycling
    I also like Hincapie. But, like Castelli, they are cut small. Take your Garneau or Bellwether size and go up one.
    More tea, Mr. Bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    You can also try izumi pro or elite bibs, i really like them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Agree with the Pearl Izumi Elite bibs...very comfortable and durable ..... Have ridden two double centuries (206 miles / 11-12 hours) in them with zero issues. In your price range as well.....

RoadBikeReview Member

Most comfortable bibs for heavy rider

Assos Mille.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I really like the Garneau bibs, but the torso seems to run short on them. at 6'2" and about 240 I wear an XL in most bibs and the Garneau I could not wear comfortably, too much pressure on my shoulders. I really like the Performance Elite bibs, plenty of shoulder room, well made and very comfy. I can actually get away with a large but prefer the XL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireform View Post
    Assos Mille.
    Yeah. I'm not a heavy rider but have used these bibs and it seems that they are designed with bigger guys/guys not shaped like a stereotypical thin cyclist in mind. They are not so good, imo, for thin guys (even if they size down) or people looking for max compression but I think they would be great for bigger guys who need a little extra room/stretch in the areas that are causing them to be called big guys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davcruz View Post
    I really like the Garneau bibs, but the torso seems to run short on them.
    Which ones? all of them or the one's I mentioned in the original post?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JSDavis82 View Post
    Which ones? all of them or the one's I mentioned in the original post?
    You know, I am not sure which models I had purchased. I think I had 2 different models, but neither of them had the silcon leg bands in them, they relied on compression. I think I paid around $110 per pair...my buddy has them now and they fit his torso great, but he is 5'10" and around 180 lbs.

I will go look and see if I can find them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Looking at the Garneau site I think the pair I had issue with was the Neo Power Bib and I was thinking I had 2 different models but I guess I just had the same bib one in black and one in white/black. They are really nice and well made, just had torso sizing that did not agree with me. The Performance Ultra II bibs are just as nice IMO and less money. Performance Ultra II Bib Shorts - Lycra Cycling Shorts

I also bought a pair of the Ultra Max bibs las t fall, wore them on a metric century and they are nice as well, but I like the Ultra II a bit better only because I prefer the texture of the material.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd get some Castelli Free Aero Race bibs. They come in larger sizes. Bombproof and very comfortable.

I don't recommend Sugoi because the material is just too thin - they're almost like women's panty hose. This is not good because 1) your asscrack shows and 2) the stitching will rip holes where the chamois is sewn in much faster. I had 2 pairs and they didn't even last me one season.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was 5'-10" 215 and wore PI Pro's for a few years.
    Beer belly. Wore XL. Still fit, sort of losely, down to 190.
    They fit great everywhere except the straps. They were too long, chamois became rough over time. The chamois finally gave way.

How do DeSoto bibs fit? I really want to try some 400mi bibs this year.

I have thin legs for my weight. Performance house brand sucked as the legs were way too big.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    For the money, I'm leaning heavily towards the Gore OZON Bibtights short+. Any thoughts? I've read that they source the same chamois the Assos does and have a great mix of compression and all day comfort.

Re: Most comfortable bibs for heavy rider

Quote Originally Posted by ripper View Post
    6'2" 240. Ridden Pearl, Cannondale, Nike etc. Assos F1Mille or comparable in their lineup are the only bib shorts I will ever ride again. Yes very expensive but my last pair was good for >10 years. I have broken my back 3 times and have a similar riding position as you describe and they are just the best in every aspect.
    I second the Assos. I'm bigger than all of you - 300ish. Aside from Assos, Campy shorts are my favourite.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    5' 10", 225. I've been wearing Santini Gel Twist bibs for years. The bib part comes up a little higher and I love the chamois, it's very comfy.