Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Most difficult bike rides in US <200 miles?

Looking for opinions on "most difficult" rides in America <200 miles .... as I am trying to plan a series of bike trips this summer...

Either "organized" rides (like Death Ride) - or maybe your own favorite ride.... but looking for rides that have serious hill grades and/or weather (Hotter than Hell comes to mind)...

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Six Gap in Northern Georgia.
    ------------------------------
    TheDarkAce

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Tour de Whidbey is known to be hard. its a century with 8,000 feet of elevation gain.

banned
    this is way more than 200 miles, but dayum...

http://www.the508.com/

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfree
    Looking for opinions on "most difficult" rides in America <200 miles .... as I am trying to plan a series of bike trips this summer...

Either "organized" rides (like Death Ride) - or maybe your own favorite ride.... but looking for rides that have serious hill grades and/or weather (Hotter than Hell comes to mind)...

Thanks!
    Triple Bypass

http://www.teamevergreen.org//index....d=48&Itemid=86
    120 miles from Evergreen to Avon over Squaw (11,140 ft.), Loveland (11,990 ft.), Swan Mountain and Vail (10,560 ft.) passes, with over 10,000 ft. of lung-busting gain in elevation!
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    'Cross Manhattan in rush hour comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    this is way more than 200 miles, but dayum...

http://www.the508.com/
    Holy crap! 35,000 feet of elevation gain.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    If you like lots of short steep climbs, this one is pretty killer. 80 miles with 6,000 feet of climbing.
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/CVNP-Death-Ride

Go Blue

Thanks!
    Mountains of Misery, Memorial Day weekend, Southwestern Virginia. http://www.cyclingdoubleheader.com/index.html It is a great ride and if you do it, there will be several RBRers there.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Triple Bypass in Colorado isn't easy.

You need to sign up Jan. 1 or soon thereafter as the 3,500 spots go really, really fast.

Spicy Dumpling
    Mountain Momma in Va/WVA. Tough and beautiful.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    everest challenge
    Blows your hair back.

Back from the dead
    I've done plenty of hard rides, but nothing compares to the Climb to Kaiser.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Dairyland Dare in Wisconsin was the hardest one-day ride I've done.

brewster

RoadBikeReview Member

Haleakala

Maui. Never extremely steep, but unrelenting. Sea level to 10,000 feet in one continuous climb of about 38 miles. Memorable views, amazing descent. Significant altitude challenge for flatlanders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    200 miles seems like an arbitrary limit. Hard comes in different flavors including distance, terrain, conditions, etc. Brevets might not be the hardest, but a full series of 200k, 300k, 400k, and 600k rides isn't easy. If those seem easy, do them singlespeed or fixed or do a 1200k randonee.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I haven't done it yet, but the RAMROD (Ride Around Mt. Rainier One Day) is supposed to be a good one. 154 miles and about 10,000 feet of climbing. http://www.redmondcyclingclub.org/RAMROD/RAMROD.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    tour Das Hugel is in Austin, TX this Saturday. 105 miles with 14,500 of climbing. Some of the hills like Jester are 22-24% grade. To make it more interesting this year a front is coming through and the wind is suppose to be 20 gusting to 40
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Thanks!
    Death Ride
    Shasta Summit Century (more than a century)
    Climb to Kaiser
    Everest Challenge (2 days of unrelenting climbing... do as a ride or as a race)
    Santa Cruz mountains challenge (100 miles, 10,000 feet of climbing with a TT up the steepest climb)

Mt Evans Bob Cook Memorial Hill climb (can you breathe at 14,000 feet?)
    The KOM series of timed climbing centuries in SoCal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderguy
    tour Das Hugel is in Austin, TX this Saturday. 105 miles with 14,500 of climbing. Some of the hills like Jester are 22-24% grade. To make it more interesting this year a front is coming through and the wind is suppose to be 20 gusting to 40
    Wow. First I've ever heard of this ride.

As always, I'm skeptical of climbing numbers. Even their website says:

Q. how much climbing is there?

A.It's the Golden Corral of Hills... eat all you want/can. We should hit 10,300 ft of climbing

10,300 even sounds high, just because it isn't in the mountains. But I know the ups and downs in the Hill Country can really add up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    Mountains of Misery, Memorial Day weekend, Southwestern Virginia. http://www.cyclingdoubleheader.com/index.html It is a great ride and if you do it, there will be several RBRers there.
    I was thinking of this one too. Other good ones: Blood, Sweat and Gears; Pain, Hurt and Agony; Three Mountain Madness; Assault on Mt. Mitchell and the Bridge to Bridge. Those are the biggest climbing rides you'll find in North Carolina.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    WOW - thanks to all that responded... I've done the ones in Colorado (Triple By-Pass, Mt. Evans) and plan on Climb to Kaiser and Death Ride this summer... but with so many and so little time... OUCH

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

NJ: Hillier Than Hillier

There is a well known ride in NJ called the Hillier Than Thou. A poster in the NJ forum section has created a version he calls the Hillier Than Hillier. It's 13,400 feet of climbing in 93 miles. You could do it twice to get your mileage.
    see: Hillier Than Hillier - NJ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    +1 Six Gap in Dahlonega GA....~105 miles, over 11,000ft of climbing.

and thats not including brasstown bald.....but if you want to make it seven gaps it is very easily done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs-air
    I was thinking of this one too. Other good ones: Blood, Sweat and Gears; Pain, Hurt and Agony; Three Mountain Madness; Assault on Mt. Mitchell and the Bridge to Bridge. Those are the biggest climbing rides you'll find in North Carolina.
    Tour de Cashiers looks to be a tough one. Beautiful area.

http://www.tourdecashiers.com/html/century.html

BTW, Assault on Mt Mitchell is a pain to acquire a number to the top. The only way to for a new rider to enter is to buy a number on the open market.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast