RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016

From motor to legs?

Anyone on here quit or drastically decreased motorcycle riding and started or increased cycling?

For the last 6-7 years I had a motorcycle addiction. Ducati, Honda and Harley I had them all. I'd fly by the poor bastard cyclist huffin up a hill thinking "if only they knew how much more fun this was". I had always mountain biked, but never thought I'd be into road cycling.

Fast forward to now, a new father and approaching 40 fast, this is the first spring I'm not getting on a motorcycle. Maybe the risk finally did me in or just got a bit bored, but I fell in love with road cycling. You don't go as fast, but you still get that sense of freedom all while getting exercise! What's funny, is I feel more vulnerable on the side of the road as being in traffic on a motorcycle.

So, anyone have any similar experiences?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    Anyone on here quit or drastically decreased motorcycle riding and started or increased cycling?

For the last 6-7 years I had a motorcycle addiction. Ducati, Honda and Harley I had them all. I'd fly by the poor bastard cyclist huffin up a hill thinking "if only they knew how much more fun this was". I had always mountain biked, but never thought I'd be into road cycling.

Fast forward to now, a new father and approaching 40 fast, this is the first spring I'm not getting on a motorcycle. Maybe the risk finally did me in or just got a bit bored, but I fell in love with road cycling. You don't go as fast, but you still get that sense of freedom all while getting exercise! What's funny, is I feel more vulnerable on the side of the road as being in traffic on a motorcycle.

No. 99.9% of the fat asses that ride motorcycles are fat AF.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    No. 99.9% of the fat asses that ride motorcycles are fat AF.
    Hmm. Wrong side of the bed this morning?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Hmm. Wrong side of the bed this morning?
    Motorcycles often have a bad reputation with road cyclists. I'm sure you are a responsible rider, but many road cyclists have had experiences getting buzzed, getting our ears blasted with un-muffled noise as a moto accelerates past us, etc. And this often happens on the most beautiful, quiet roads (that is, quiet until a motorcycle roars by). It is generally particularly bad in the spring, especially the first few nice days.

I had one numb-nuts blow by me on a crotch rocket on a beach road in shorts, tank-top and flip flops while doing a wheelie, he lost it shortly after he had passed me. A few yards earlier and I would have received about 300 lbs of motorcycle in the back of the head at 50+ mph.

Sorry, you're probably just getting caught in the backlash.

--------------

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    To be fair, there are numb nuts in all hobbies/sports. Be it cars, golf, motorcycles, or cycling. That same aggravation you had by that squid doing a wheelie (which I'm definitely NOT one of them), another jeep enthusiast might say the same thing about an annoying cyclist he almost hit not following traffic laws. Saying 99.9% of motorcyclist are fat AF is just stupid and probably said by someone who secretly wishes he had one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ride motos less now than ever before but don't fool yourself thinking road riding is any safer, cagers are cagers, distracted or not.
    Still like heading to the hills to ride the motards, a good motorcycle road tends to be good for road riding also, depending on traffic.
    Nowadays I usually get <1000 motorcycle miles now and about 5k road miles.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I had a motorcycle when I was younger and I agree that the sense of freedom and being one with the road is common to both activities. I often thought an out getting another motorcycle but my inherent cheapness has prevented that from happening

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    That was me with sports cars. And of course there are some roads i refuse to ride in the name of my own safety.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    I sold my motorcycle. The difference to me is on a bicycle when I get home I feel like I did something. On the motorcycle I only felt like I went somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Two different activities and as much fun as motorcycles are the satisfaction of an 80 100 mile ride on one will never be the same as the other. Nothing like the acceleration of a moto but I get more satisfaction from my road bike. When I was a younger man both shared time but now it seems like I can go further in less time on a bicycle. Traffic is lighter on the side of the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Yeah. I sold my Harley a few months ago and sometimes miss it. Nothing beats a sunday ride down to the beach. However the bike keeps us in shape and speeds are slower (even though cycling has its own risks).

RoadBikeReview Member

Back in the '60s Triumph Bonnevilles and BMWs were at the top of my lust list. I rode a two stroke Jawa 350 cc, a Czechoslovakian brand getting known on European dirt circuits. Rode it to work at JFK airport on LI. Two crashes, second gear went out, and I got drafted into the army, so that was the end of motorcycle lust for a while.

Getting out of shape by the late 30s, I started lifting weights. The second car I used to get to work rusted out. Bicycling was coming up as a solution to the OPEC induced gas shortages. I lived 6 miles away from work across the beautiful city of Washington, DC. So dropped $75 on a four speed with chrome drop bars and fell madly in love.

Motorcycling was fun, but cycling fully involves all the senses like no other mode of travel. It was intoxicating. I could do day trips on a bike that I would do on a motorcycle, and enjoy it more: wind whistling through the ears, breathing the fresh air, smelling the roses, working the terrain, and only the whirring of the spokes, the slap of rubber on the road, and me the motor, a sensual interplay not masked by a 3000 rpm internal combustion engine. I mean, this was a spiritual experience. Motorcycling never came close. It did serve as a transitory step from car dependency to bicycling, though.

If I want to have fun at speeds high enough to kill you, I do it in a car. What I learned riding a bike transferred over into driving superbly well, viz. "going with the flow" and predicting the moves of others. After mastering rush hour traffic on a bike in a busy city, speeding along the interstates is a piece of cake.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 04-21-2017 at 07:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    don't fool yourself thinking road riding is any safer.
    If you don't want to fool yourself, how about you go with facts? According to the NTSB data, per hour of road time, motorcycling is 8X more dangerous than bicycling. And that includes all the bicycle deaths associated with riding while impaired and riding at night with no lights.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    If you don't want to fool yourself, how about you go with facts? According to the NTSB data, per hour of road time, motorcycling is 8X more dangerous than bicycling. And that includes all the bicycle deaths associated with riding while impaired and riding at night with no lights.
    Yep... at least on a bicycle at 18mph when a car turns in front of me I have a chance to slow and miss it. On a motorcycle at 50mph I am far more likely to t-bone it.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I raced motocross in the early days of the sport. MTB riding eventually became a go-to method of training. It was mountain biking that took me away from dirt bikes and eventually back to road cycling.

I did use a road bike for training for sail boat racing earlier (505's) but it was harsh riding POS (centurian) and the pain that I thought I had to endure to gain endurance. They don't make'em like they used to (if they did. road biking would be dead by now)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by D&MsDad View Post
    Motorcycles often have a bad reputation with road cyclists.
    I thought it was the pickup trucks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    broke my legs in a moto crash and I have stopped riding it, mostly. I still have a moto, but now all of my riding buddies have given up, so I have very little incentive to ride my motorcyle because it's just not fun riding alone.

Cycling almost exclusively now. And I still get a lot of thrill out of descending on a bicycle. Descending fast on a bicycle is harder, takes more skills, than most typical weekend motorcycle warriors realize.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I raced motorcycles on GP style tracks and got rid of them when my sons were old enough to start asking questions about them because I didn't want them riding, I know very well what I did on the roads when younger and the risks involved. On the other hand I very much encourage them to become cyclists - healthy exercise and safer. I reminisce about all the fun I had on a motorcycle, but wouldn't consider owning or riding one again.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had the same experience as the OP. I rode motorcycles for about 35 years -- mostly (quiet) BMWs equipped for long-distance touring -- while also owning a couple of bicycles along the way that I occasionally rode for fun or special purposes (early MTB, etc.). I also owned a number of dirt bikes, such as a Husqvarna 250 enduro bike.

Well, I gave up on the motorcycles in the early 2000s, mainly due a combination of feeling my own perceptions and reflexes to be diminishing with age while drivers seemed to be getting worse (and this was before the era of smartphones and texting!). I did without road riding for a few years, and then got my interest re-kindled after riding in a local charity ride type of event and seeing how much faster the road bikes were than the "comfort bike" I had been using.

So off I went and bought my first modern-era road bike and the rest was history. It was like reliving my motorcycling days as far as that feeling of "freedom of the road" and being able to ride and see the world in the open air.

But I also have to say that right now I'm going through the same issues regarding safety in my own mind that caused me to give up motorcycling: distracted drivers, people I know or know of being hurt or even killed, etc. So my latest conversion has been to more of an "adventure bike" (Felt VR5) that I can use on paved or unpaved rail-trails and MUPs, the dirt and gravel roads that are plentiful in this area (with much less vehicle traffic), as well as on rural roads and highways when I can get to them.

Thinking about it, from the time I rode my first bike when I was 4 or 5 years old, I have never been without some form of two-wheeled transportation over the next 65 years of my life! Seems like I'm hooked on it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Yeah, at one point I heard the saying that once the seed is planted motorcycles will always be with you. I think it's true to a point, but I just don't have the urge as strong currently. I think it's more the love of 2 wheels as cycling is giving me the drug I need. I do miss the speed/acceleration/cool factor... but once you have one and ride it a lot it fades and you go back to questioning if you should sell it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I still do it all at 67 years of age. The Moto one day then cycling the next. Every third day I am still a landscaper. I get a lot from each activity. The Moto is high speed excitement that can't be achieved on a bicycle. I suppose I have been just lucky but not one mishap in over 100,000 miles, but I can say the same for the bicycle. It took 30 years to get 100,000 miles on the bicycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to have a Kawasaki 750 that I rode everywhere. As I started bicycling more, I had less time for the motorcycle -- and less tolerance to the noise. Eventually I sold it to my brother.