Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Mount rear rack on carbon bike?

14K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  SantaCruz 
#1 ·
I've been given conflicting information by two area Trek dealers so I hoped some one on the list might have some advice.

The Trek Pilot 5 has eyelets at the rear hub. One Trek dealer said he could mount a rear rack on the bike with no problem. The other Trek dealer said you cannot mount a rack to any carbon frame and he didn't know why the eyelets are there. He said he thought putting a rack on it would void the warranty.

Who's right?

I'm trying to choose between the Pilot and a Specialized Sequoia. IlLike the Pilot, but not if I can't have a sturdy rear rack (not a seat-post variety).

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Sorry to throw the thread in a different direction, but why? Why not just buy a touring bike at a fraction of the price, or find a steel touring frame. You obviously aren't a weight weenie if you want a rack, and steel rides just as well if not better than carbon (I have both). Carbon is great for the weight/stiffness properties. You might as well buy something bulletproof- and cheaper- if not heavier.

#4 ·
filtersweep said:
Sorry to throw the thread in a different direction, but why? Why not just buy a touring bike at a fraction of the price, or find a steel touring frame. You obviously aren't a weight weenie if you want a rack, and steel rides just as well if not better than carbon (I have both). Carbon is great for the weight/stiffness properties. You might as well buy something bulletproof- and cheaper- if not heavier.

I understand your point. But like many people, I use my bike for several purposes: commuting some days, faster weekend rides and an occasional (slow) century. So I'm trying to find a compromise bike, not a dedicated tourer, not a dedicated racer, but one that is passable as either.

#6 ·
There is absolutely no reason a rack cannot be put on the bike.

A correctly mounted rack will give no problem to any carbon bike. It may ride poorly, but it will not void any warranty.

Enclosed is a picture of a Colnago Carbonissmo, all carbon. Set up with touring racks.

If this bike can do it, so can a Trek.

#7 ·
smithflorida said:
I understand your point. But like many people, I use my bike for several purposes: commuting some days, faster weekend rides and an occasional (slow) century. So I'm trying to find a compromise bike, not a dedicated tourer, not a dedicated racer, but one that is passable as either.
I guess I burn the candle at both ends- weight weenie high tech carbonphile for my race bike, retro-grouch lugged vintage steel cheapo commuter and rain bikes for other purposes. Carbon is too "nice" to commute on- certainly too nice to lock up anywhere... and a "nice" complete commuter bike can be built for the price of a good modern stem.

#8 ·
now that's funny stuff!

MGS9500 said:

Enclosed is a picture of a Colnago Carbonissmo, all carbon. Set up with touring racks.

Sure it can be done, but the question is still WHY? That's a pretty spendy frame to pile luggage on since most of what you're paying for is stiffness and lightweight (and the name of course)- even funnier with the Zipps, which are effectively useless with the mirrors and baggage!

Some similar circumstances that come to mind are the guy who orders 3 double cheeseburgers and a small diet coke, or the lambourghini with a yakima rocket box on it.

#9 · (Edited)
MGS9500 said:

--------------
I agree that a carbon frame w/ eyelets should, make that "could", take a rack, but Colnago carbon with Zipp wheels, TT/tri bars and panniers. Man you are definately gonna give that Italian rig an identity crisis.

#11 ·
a steel frame

smithflorida said:
allows the versatility you speak of (for less) - a carbon frame does not

carbon has a significantly shorter lifespan than steel - if you add the stress of touring racks etc - it's even shorter

can it be done - yes - you can do lots of things

should it be done - nope

ask yourself this question: Why am I not buying a steel bike for a versatile do-it-all bike?

#12 ·
MGS9500 said:

A correctly mounted rack will give no problem to any carbon bike. It may ride poorly, but it will not void any warranty.

this is SO wrong...

and if you need someone to explain why, you'll never get it!

#15 ·
Email Trek and ask them, is my suggestion. From the Web site the Pilot does not appear to have the rack brazeons up by the seat cluster, whereas the Sequoia does, and the Specialized site says it has "rack and fender braze-ons". So maybe the Pilot is really not meant to have a rack for some reason. Too bad, because it looks like a cool bike.

I test rode a Sequoia a couple times back in November, and liked it, but ended up buying a Roubaix. But I already have 2 bikes that take racks and fenders, so that was not a requirement for me. I think you're on the right track for a do it all type bike, even if it doesn't do anything quite perfectly. (Everything except loaded touring, since neither bike takes front lowriders.)

#16 ·
Sequoia

I bought my daughter a Sequoia Elite for its versatility and smooth ride. The zertx (?) dampers in fork and stays give it a comfortable ride, the clearance for 28 mm tires helps smooth the ride and allows for rack and fenders if needed. She has a second wheelset w/ lighter rims and 23mm tires for hilly rides. She likes the inline brakes which give her braking capability when riding on the bars. Bike was on sale for $1150. No questions about capability or voiding warranty. Whats not to like.

You can buy any bike you like but the best find would be one best suited to handle all your requirements. At least one Trek dealer doesn't think the Pilot fits the bill.

PS - I've got a full carbon bike (Calfee) and a new lugged steel bike. Have owned AL too so I'm not biased toward any one frame material or style of bike.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.