Thread: Mountain Bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Mountain Bike

My son will attending college in the Northeast Kingdom, Vermont. Kingdom trail is close to school, this will be his first real mtn. bike. Should I go new or used.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Piste View Post
    My son will attending college in the Northeast Kingdom, Vermont. Kingdom trail is close to school, this will be his first real mtn. bike. Should I go new or used.
    Checkout this website:

www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm
    Last edited by Zeet; 04-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Piste View Post
    New.

29er or 26"? 29er.

Hard tail or Full Suspension? Depends on how much you love him..... if you get Hard tail, then much of the savings can go towards books.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Campuses are notorious for bike thefts. If it'll be parked outside buildings, something not so expensive and a good bike lock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Used. Hardtail. 29er. Plan on it getting stolen.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member

Mountain Bike

They are right, colleges are bad places for bike theft. Here are a couple of inexpensive suggestions for whatever bike you get.

One, don't go fancy, in fact the uglier the better. You want thieves to move on somewhere else.

Get a seat leash. It's a cheap cable that holds the seat and seat post to the frame. These run between 7-9 dollers

There are skewer sets for anti theft. These run around thirty bucks or so but you need a special tool to remove them. This keeps the wheels from disappearing.

Fenders are great if he is riding in the rain

Used isn't a bad way to go, it's going to be used and abused . Don't spend a ton. It's all about going from point a to point b.

And a quality lock, spend 60-90 bucks for a great lock. People will move on when they see them.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    Why have you decided upon a mtn bike?
    Because a Madone just isn't much fun on Kingdom Trails singletrack? Just a guess.

My brother (also a college freshman, in upstate NY) just picked up a Trek 3-series (3500 Disc, I believe). I think it was under a grand. While I was in college in New Paltz, I rode a Gary Fisher hardtail all over the place. I was able to lock mine in the basement of my dorm building. I scraped $600 together for it while in high school, and I'm still riding it today.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Disc-equipped hardtail. 29" or 26" is your choice.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Kingdom Trails, Darling Hills looks doable on a cross bike

Burke Mountain.... they claim a mountain bike is needed.... need to watch videos on how technical it is (minus the downhill stuff).

An entry level Trek Marlin is less than $700.

or to go cheap... there's always bikes direct.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Trail
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    Because a Madone just isn't much fun on Kingdom Trails singletrack? Just a guess.
    Oooops! Sorry.....

I thought the OP was saying that Kingdom Trails was closed!
    Last edited by Zeet; 04-24-2013 at 08:52 PM.