RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

mountain bike on trainer ?

Hi All,
    I am leery to put my brand new CF road bike on my newly purchased rock n roll trainer. So after setting it up today I put my old mountain bike on it and gave it a go.
    it is an old bike (aprox 20 yrs) - I was wondering if anyone else has seen/done this?
    Do they make trainer specific tires for mountain bikes - a google just gave me a couple of hits - one of which said it was discontinued.

I am tempted to buy an aluminium bike (CAAD10) to use on the trainer as well as just an all around great bike to ride and also not worry about putting on a rack on my vehicle.
    The rock n roll felt fantastic btw - set it up in a few minutes and then jumped on - I really enjoyed the feel of it. a bit of a bounce to it and the side to side wasn't too pronounced - but was certainly there and kept it from feeling stiff. Very pleased with this purchase so far.
    Last edited by Uphill70; 07-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Cranky Old Bastard
    As long as you can get the cockpit setup for you any bike will work on a trainer. You should set everything to match your road bike: saddle height and setback, reach, bar height, etc.

Most companies make slick tires for mountain bikes.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I trained several years with my mountain bike in a trainer (Tacx Satori). Still do. I use a special Tacx trainer tire, which will last far longer than a normal slick.

When I bought the trainer I did so because I couldn't afford a road bike and wanted to do more straightforward rides rather than the technical mountain rides. It has been a good solution, but I will be buying an indoor cycle to replace the trainer. The vibrations/noise through the floor (I have a gym in my attic) have been getting a bit much since my wife and I have started training more. That's been my only problem with the trainer. Other than that they're great.
    Specialized Allez Expert (2013)
    Scott Scale 40 (2006)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Suggest considering buying an inexpensive used bike for dedicated trainer use.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Looigi,
    Thats the direction I am heading in I think...