Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Mr. President, you are riding in your red zone

Check it out, President Bush kicks a$$ on a MTB. Pushing 168 Heart beats per minute. Not bad for a man half his age. He is not afraid of riding on the edge and and falling! My kind of rider.

Once I had my a** handed to me on very technical Eastern Singletrack by a 72 year old Litespeed rider. This guy flew gracefully down 200 yard nearly vertical descent with switchbacks that ended in a creek. Humbling.
    I don't give a damn for a man who can spell a word only one way.
    Mark Twain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip Stream
    Check it out, President Bush kicks a$$ on a MTB. Pushing 168 Heart beats per minute. Not bad for a man half his age. He is not afraid of riding on the edge and and falling! My kind of rider.

Once I had my a** handed to me on very technical Eastern Singletrack by a 72 year old Litespeed rider. This guy flew gracefully down 200 yard nearly vertical descent with switchbacks that ended in a creek. Humbling.
    Hmm, the article says 168 is 4 times his resting heart rate. That would make his resting heart rate 42 BPM. That's pretty impressive. Although I'm inclined to think that 4 times figure might have been rounded up a bit.

I wonder what Kerry's stats are.

-Spyky

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003
    Shall I vote for the candidate with the lowest resting heart rate and largest stroke volume?

Ti me up
    Quote Originally Posted by likeguymontag
    Shall I vote for the candidate with the lowest resting heart rate and largest stroke volume?
    Makes as much sense as "Vote for Kerry because he's a cyclist." Props to both of 'em for getting out there, but, geez, W - mountain biking can be painful. I added that to my road biking about 6 months ago, and it's a tough sport in more ways than one.
    Michael

You see lots of happy cyclists. When was the last time you saw a runner smiling?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Talking There is the other end of the spectrum?

CHENEY. Wonder what his resting HR is??? Probably get another heart attack if he finds out!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyky
    Hmm, the article says 168 is 4 times his resting heart rate. That would make his resting heart rate 42 BPM. That's pretty impressive. Although I'm inclined to think that 4 times figure might have been rounded up a bit.

-Spyky
    Everyone have photographic memory. But not everyone have film!

banned
    Feb 2004
    maybe we should vote based on who rides the better bike? Bush rides a trek and Kerry has a gaggle of serottas....hmmmm....I like Kerry more and more everyday

O2bfasterstrongerbetter

Mouthguard

He wear's a mouthguard when he rides ... 'nough said.
    "Words are a heavy thing...they weigh you down. If birds talked, they couldn't fly." Sy Rosen and Christian Williams, Northern Exposure, On Your Own, 1992

Go Blue

Bush's resting heart rate

-Spyky
    When W had his pretzel-induced, football-watching couch accident, I recall that there were articles that said that his resting heart rate was in the low 40s. Last year, I had lunch with someone who was a former elite running coach and who had watched W's running stats closely. He said that the only way that W could be in the excellent shape that he then was in was by running an hour to two hours per day. Ronald Reagan may have slept through his presidency. It looks like W is spending a lot of time working out during his. That's not a bad thing, however. I don't like W's politics. But, given the lack of activity (and obesity) among Americans of all ages, W is a good role model for all of the couch potatoes out there. We would spend a lot less money on health care in the US, a major economic issue, if more people followed W's example rather than following their natural desire to be sedentary.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

hi, I'm Larry

No - based on riding a Road or Mt. Bike

Me,
    I'm a roadie

Quote Originally Posted by likeguymontag

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    When W had his pretzel-induced, football-watching couch accident, I recall that there were articles that said that his resting heart rate was in the low 40s. Last year, I had lunch with someone who was a former elite running coach and who had watched W's running stats closely. He said that the only way that W could be in the excellent shape that he then was in was by running an hour to two hours per day. Ronald Reagan may have slept through his presidency. It looks like W is spending a lot of time working out during his. That's not a bad thing, however. I don't like W's politics. But, given the lack of activity (and obesity) among Americans of all ages, W is a good role model for all of the couch potatoes out there. We would spend a lot less money on health care in the US, a major economic issue, if more people followed W's example rather than following their natural desire to be sedentary.
    Hmm, that resting heart rate still seems surprisingly low. Certainly I agree that Bush is in pretty good shape for someone his age, but 42 is remarkably low. But resting heart rate does go down with age, and is also affected by genetics, so it's not completely unbelievable, just surprising.

I agree that it's not a bad thing having a president who thinks exercise is important. But he doesn't seem to be making much of an issue about improving the health of americans, promoting better exercise programs as part of health initiatives, etc...

-Spyky

53T
    The Right Wing

Believe it

Hmm, that resting heart rate still seems surprisingly low. Certainly I agree that Bush is in pretty good shape for someone his age, but 42 is remarkably low. But resting heart rate does go down with age, and is also affected by genetics, so it's not completely unbelievable, just surprising.

I agree that it's not a bad thing having a president who thinks exercise is important. But he doesn't seem to be making much of an issue about improving the health of americans, promoting better exercise programs as part of health initiatives, etc...

-Spyky
    Remember, this guy was running sub-6:30 miles in the 10K about three years ago. You don't just wake up one morning and run that pace. He was a guy with a job (Owner of Texas Rangers, then Governor of Texas) that gave him some time to train. Like a regular guy, he took advantage of that. Wouldn't you have done the same?

BTW, my resting HR is 42.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

hate to say it, but...

80+ minutes is also a long time to only be covering 18 miles, especially in the forboding mountains of Crawford Texas. I do a fire road/single track combo ride that covers almost 30 miles with 2600ft of elevation in about the same time. He can't be pushing it that hard...

Still, props to the guy for getting on a bike. 85% of our brain dead, cattle grazing population could take a lesson or two from him. I don't like the guy's politics either, but at least he knows how to enjoy life.

Nice of them to say that crashing is a normal occurence for MTB'ers. Yeah, maybe if you can't ride...

Converted Marathon Runner

I'm impressed with the 42 resting HR, especially for his age. I'm 25 and my all time low was 36 bpm.

I wish more people in the country would try to "follow the leader" and get bikes and go hammer, rather than get fat.

If he needs a secret service guy to ride with him all day, I'm game. I'm an avid shooter as well, so he'd be well-guarded......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

The Ultimate Fred?

Quote Originally Posted by denversean
    80+ minutes is also a long time to only be covering 18 miles, especially in the forboding mountains of Crawford Texas. I do a fire road/single track combo ride that covers almost 30 miles with 2600ft of elevation in about the same time. He can't be pushing it that hard...

Still, props to the guy for getting on a bike. 85% of our brain dead, cattle grazing population could take a lesson or two from him. I don't like the guy's politics either, but at least he knows how to enjoy life.

Nice of them to say that crashing is a normal occurence for MTB'ers. Yeah, maybe if you can't ride...
    Hmmm. Mouth guard, toe straps and sneakers, and it doesn't look like he's even wearing riding shorts. All of this on a $3000+ bike. Looks like major fredness to me!

Seriously though, he's doing OK. 18 miles in 80 minutes is 13.5 mph, which is not bad at all depending on the terrain. Most of the trails that I ride I'm somewhere in the 10-12 mph range. I am not a GW fan either, but I say "more power to him".

BTW, 30 miles in 80 minutes is 22.5 mph. Hmmm, 2600ft of climbing too. I think you could give Lance a run for his money with those numbers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Riding in a different red zone

"The frame is adorned with high-tech components that Bush professes to know little about..."

hmmm..... a shock absorber vs. Middle East politics?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by denversean
    Someone has been spending too much time in the crack house.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Note the guy who said he could do 2600 feet in 30 miles of single track in less than 80 minutes, didn't say which way he was going. I know I can do it if it is downhill.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow lots of e-thugs in here.

I could do this better, I could do that better and my dad can kick your dad's ass. Oooook.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Actually that's the correct total climb for the trail and it's 27.4 miles to be exact - I ride with a group and we always finish in less than 90 min...

I've ridden sport class, but I am millions of miles from pro. My point is they make it sound like the guy is blazing trails in flatsville USA. With the Terrain in Texas he should be avg. 18 miles an hour...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Good for him - good for us?

I applaud the pres for taking up riding. Hopefully it will raise his awareness of the environment. Too bad he embarrassed Christie Whitman inbto leaving,. She used to ride some. They could have discussed policy on their breaks.

Pure Joy Rider
    Feb 2004

Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Plus
    They could have discussed policy on their breaks.
    ... or how best to schedule even more vacation in future...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    I'm impressed with the 42 resting HR, especially for his age. I'm 25 and my all time low was 36 bpm.

I wish more people in the country would try to "follow the leader" and get bikes and go hammer, rather than get fat.

If he needs a secret service guy to ride with him all day, I'm game. I'm an avid shooter as well, so he'd be well-guarded......

Not to take this thread on a tangent, but what is your average HR when say, sitting on a chair in front of a computer (like right now), just out of curiosity, and how much does this relate to resting heart rate.

-Spyky

Usually like at my desk at work or something, I can catch it around 50, plus or minus a couple. Not sure how it relates to my resting HR, some people could have a higher "normal activity" HR, but a low resting, etc.

I used to run competitively, long distances, hence my heart rate.... Now I ride a ton, HR is about the same I'd say, I haven't tried to get my resting in a while. I should sleep with my HRM on, that'd be interesting to see the nightly range.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

I'm curious about that too...

My resting HR in the morning is 50-52 bpm. I've worn my hrm to work though, and coffee pushes me into the 60's. Answering the phone or writing emails can put me in the 70's. I'm sure the activity itself isn't that strenuous, so I'm assuming mental stress. I'm betting that normal hr can be greatly affected by stress levels, noise, etc. without any real physical activity involved.

You are correct denver, foods greatly alter your HR. I have a habbit of always having chocolate chip cookies on the day I have to visit a doctor, and my HR is usually up due to sugar, etc.

Stress is another issue. All jobs cause some form of "stress", so your HR will be up from that. Stress can be getting up in the morning to your heart, hence why it beats a bit more.

Coffee is an instant "BOO YA" to your heart.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast