Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    They really don't. When they're out for a recovery spin keeping below a certain heart rate, and some dude in cargo shorts and sandals is destroying himself trying to slowly pass them, they chuckle to themselves a little bit. This is that guy's race. It's their recovery ride. It's cute.
    Ah, yes, I've seen that air of superiority many times!

Fecal indicator
    all the OP reveals is that he thinks he's a much stronger rider than he really is.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    yeah well he doesn't know what he doesn't know. The first step is to hook up with some local group ride and see what a real ride is. Or heck do a local Time Trial race. the race of truth, usually very accessible and simple and safe. and revealing.

ototh is it fun to try and ride fast with other random fast-ish guys . heck even on the MUT. It doesn't mean anything, it is just raw simple fun.

But folks on here mention 'cat 1 riders'. That is a fairly exclusive club, an extreme of accomplished athleticism, not even in the same universe as random folks on the MUT. The OP might know that already? or not. Would be entertaining to hear his reaction doing a fast training ride with cat 1 riders, even if the OP shows up with an SWorks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    I'm curious what distinguishes a cat 1 on a MUT from a weekend warrior on a MUT?

Do you have some type of cat 1 radar that immediately alerts you to their presence?
    Easy. The Cat i's, if they're not out riding with the team on some pristine country road, are slumming it with the proletariat. They're always well cut, don't have belly fat, and are riding a racing rig, frequently the "beater bike." They're trying to average 20 mph on a 15 mph MUT. I guess some cat. 1s can do recovery rides averaging 20 mph, but I haven't met any.

The newbie pretenders gravitate towards bikes they know. The middle aged Trek riders are the most pretentious. Cannondale and Specialized riders seems to be a younger crowd. They're somewhat less pretentlous, IME. The real snobs I've run across are on Pinarellos. Gotta give credit to the Trek and Pinarello marketers. They attract really strong experienced riders, but also first time middle aged men, women too!, battling mid-life crisis. If they've got the cash, they spring for the good stuff. The ones who stick with it have the perfect training tool to get faster and fitter. They join the club rides and battle it out, hoping someday, they'll be able to hang with the big dogs.

Not too hard to tell who's who. Elite riders have big veins on their legs. That's a real tip off. Lesser riders don't have well cut legs. Belly fat is also a dead giveaway. Positioning on the bike, cadence that falls apart on climbs. But its mainly the faster speeds and air of authority cat. 1s project. They've got it down. It's beautiful to watch. But they hate to be challenged. Their sport is not ours, pardners. They never miss an opportunity to remind we who "have no clue."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Last edited by pedalbiker; 09-11-2017 at 04:50 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Ah, yes, I've seen that air of superiority many times!
    Have you now? I'm still curious as to what exactly denotes a cat 1 from a cat 2? Or a 3? Or a 4?

Just leg veins? Just little body fat? And don't like to be challenged?

What about a masters who used to be a cat 1 but has downgraded to a 3? Or an expro? Or someone who's gone from a 5 to a 1 in the space of a year and hasn't developed a souplesse-like cadence?

Again, must be a helluva radar you've got. For someone who knows so little about racing to be so well-versed on the nuances of amateur bike racers is impressive!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Typical elite roadie response!

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is the reward!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    But its mainly the faster speeds and air of authority cat. 1s project. They've got it down. It's beautiful to watch. But they hate to be challenged. Their sport is not ours, pardners. They never miss an opportunity to remind we who "have no clue."
    ha kinda true . they just all seem tired, hungry, insecure and no time to talk to cat 3 and 4 riders at races, IIRC. And the single digit body fat, always, every one.

IIRC to get into cat 1 is hard. The lower categories race in their own categories. So cat 4 only need to beat other cat 4s to get the point to move to cat 3, same with cat 3. But every race I went to the cat 1 and 2 raced together and the points were free for all, so a cat 2 rider would have to beat cat 1s at the line to get points to move from cat 2 to cat 1. And they'd be up against semi-pro even europros at some events too. Tall order. My dad was cat 2 and got some points but then aged out into an older age category. He was a cycling animal, and people will still tell you how irritatingly he would half wheel anyone and everyone .. like the dogs of bike racing war, LOL. He'd also train through the bitter winter, ride his bike 80km to the start of the first race of the season, then win it. and yet not quite into cat 1 (he started racing in his 30s, he did win the Mt Washington hill climb once I think in 35+ age category)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    It's interesting that the OP has not been back to participate in his/her own thread.

Can we just label the original post as....

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Here is a middle aged rider (approaching 60) who has been riding Treks off and on since 1978. Why? Because they make a good quality bike that I can afford. My Domane that I bought four years ago is light, responsive and comfortable... just the way I like my bike to be.

I ride my own pace on the road or MUT. If someone passes me, be it on a MTB, hybrid or road bike, I smile. Sometimes they tire within a few miles and I pass them back; sometimes they ride off into the sunset. I don't alter my speed when they pass - I am riding my own ride.

The only thing that bothers me when someone passes is when their drivetrain is in serious need of lubrication. How can anyone stand that noise?
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I guess some cat. 1s can do recovery rides averaging 20 mph, but I haven't met any.
    Unconfirmed source said that cat 1 racers don't / shouldn't do recovery rides. It's for the pros.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Here is a middle aged rider (approaching 60) who has been riding Treks off and on since 1978. Why? Because they make a good quality bike that I can afford. My Domane that I bought four years ago is light, responsive and comfortable... just the way I like my bike to be.

I ride my own pace on the road or MUT. If someone passes me, be it on a MTB, hybrid or road bike, I smile. Sometimes they tire within a few miles and I pass them back; sometimes they ride off into the sunset. I don't alter my speed when they pass - I am riding my own ride.

The only thing that bothers me when someone passes is when their drivetrain is in serious need of lubrication. How can anyone stand that noise?
    I knew I'd get into trouble with that generalization! Forgot to mention Fuji and Giant. Fitness minded, hip, educated urban dwellers, trained up in spin classes, now putting on gloves to attack the MUTs. They're not ready to spring more than $1200 on a bike, but they still want to be competitive. They always look good.

Around here, NVA, lots of upwardly mobile adults in their 30s-40s are into it, and you see lots of Treks among the more style conscious riders. They're no doubt a pleasure to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    ha kinda true . they just all seem tired, hungry, insecure and no time to talk to cat 3 and 4 riders at races, IIRC. And the single digit body fat, always, every one.
    Have you actually ever talked to a cat 1? How do you know these random people you're seeing at a race are cat 1s?

There's a whole lot of "this is what I know even though it's only based on random observations I think I had" in this thread.

Clearly you guys don't actually know or converse or even ride with any cat 1s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Typical elite roadie response!
    Are you not going to explain your cat 1 radar?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Unconfirmed source said that cat 1 racers don't / shouldn't do recovery rides. It's for the pros.
    Eh, I don't do recovery rides. But that's purely a function of only having 8-12 hours of training time.

As a cat 3/cat 2 college student who trained 15-20 hours a week, I did a lot of recovery rides.

Sometimes being a cat 3 is a bigger deal than being a cat 1... The delusional among us still had the slightest hope that we might actually be good and make it to the pro ranks. Once you're a 1, though, that hope is typically destroyed half an hour into your first PRT race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Easy. The Cat i's, if they're not out riding with the team on some pristine country road, are slumming it with the proletariat. They're always well cut, don't have belly fat, and are riding a racing rig, frequently the "beater bike." They're trying to average 20 mph on a 15 mph MUT. I guess some cat. 1s can do recovery rides averaging 20 mph, but I haven't met any.
    What planet is this where Cat 1 road racers do their training on the MUT?

If you ever see a cat 1 (or anyone above cat 7 really) on the MUT I can guarantee they are only there to get from point a to b and not 'training'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Have you actually ever talked to a cat 1? How do you know these random people you're seeing at a race are cat 1s?

There's a whole lot of "this is what I know even though it's only based on random observations I think I had" in this thread.

+1...

I'm a never has been never will be and not trying to one up anyone here so read this for what it is. Eric Marcotte appears unapproachable and elitist or snobbish but, when you talk to him and get to know him he's incredibly thoughtful, well educated and wants to pass on his experience to those who shut up long enough to listen. And honestly it's not what he says (he doesn't talk much) it's how he rides and the little tidbits he shares when he's comfortable with you. Respect goes both ways.

Yes their are elite riders who are in fact *******s. It's just the 10% rule. But, like life, don't let the 10% distort the reality that most guys/gals are just like you and I. Many of these guys are super shy for some reason I've found. JMO

Road Warrior
    Whoa!!! Fredrico!!!; You sound a little bitter for a fellow MAMIL. I admit,, I transitioned to the road in my late 50's and own a nice SLR Domane, as well as a Ti, a touring, a mountain, and a couple others, but most of us are just trying to hang in with the group, not many of us pretend to have credentials although we do ride with a few that do. Seriously,,Trek riders are pretentious? Trek is well made and designed, they are the FMC/GMC of the bike world,, not exactly what I would call grandiose.

Fredrico:
    The middle aged Trek riders are the most pretentious. Cannondale and Specialized riders seems to be a younger crowd. They're somewhat less pretentlous, IME. The real snobs I've run across are on Pinarellos. Gotta give credit to the Trek and Pinarello marketers. They attract really strong experienced riders, but also first time middle aged men, women too!, battling mid-life crisis. If they've got the cash, they spring for the good stuff. The ones who stick with it have the perfect training tool to get faster and fitter. They join the club rides and battle it out, hoping someday, they'll be able to hang with the big dogs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Eh, I don't do recovery rides. But that's purely a function of only having 8-12 hours of training time.
    I said unconfirmed because his credential hasn't been confirmed.

Once you're a 1, though, that hope is typically destroyed half an hour into your first PRT race.
    And he takes it out on internet forum? Now that starts to connect the dots.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

If you ever see a cat 1 (or anyone above cat 7 really) on the MUT I can guarantee they are only there to get from point a to b and not 'training'.
    you're going to spoil someone's delusion of being an 'authority' on cycling with comments like this...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member

ok my post is an overgeneralization (ie there is a curve that skews grumpy among strong road cyclists, but on a curve, y'know there are all kinds). but wow are you shooting blanks buddy. if you only knew.

actually, many of my clubmates and riding buddies were in cat 1 and 2. I was in cat 3 and 4. Heck a lot of our family friends growing up were top riders, provincial champions, you name it. I did the wrenching for a handful of cat 1 and 2 riders too. Was in the racing scene for 20 ish years. Been riding with racers for 40 years.

OK we did have may a post-race party too, with riders from all categories. Some of the cat 1 s would have a drink too, LOL

And when I was at my fittest back in the road racing days, I was pretty grumpy. Mtn bike scene puts me in a better mood. Hey never come across a grumpy mtn biker in 30 years mtn biking, but the a-hole factor is strong at any road race. Have seen fist fights break out during cat 1 races, folks yelling at commissaires, bikes thrown. Again, never see that at a mtn bike race - I was chief organizer of a sanctioned race for 5 years, (family and friends were road race organizers).

$0.02
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 09-12-2017 at 10:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

I was responding to someone who said above, a cat. 1 would only be found "on a recovery ride" mixing it up with mortals on the MUT. I also said, "slumming," viz. riding amongst inferiors, yes, to get from point a to b, suggests "not training."

So passing everyone at 20 mph on a recovery ride must be a cat. 3 or lower order thing, right?
    Last edited by Fredrico; 09-12-2017 at 11:12 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I said unconfirmed because his credential hasn't been confirmed.

And he takes it out on internet forum? Now that starts to connect the dots.
    Ha, my genius is pretty much unequivocated.

Takes what out, exactly?

I'm merely pointing out how Fredrico et al know pretty much nothing about the subject they're so adamantly opining about.

I'll be the token ******* all you want, but that doesn't negate everything I know about the subjects I comment on. It should highlight everything some posters don't, however.
    Last edited by pedalbiker; 09-12-2017 at 02:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    ok my post is an overgeneralization (ie there is a curve that skews grumpy among strong road cyclists, but on a curve, y'know there are all kinds). but wow are you shooting blanks buddy. if you only knew.

actually, many of my clubmates and riding buddies were in cat 1 and 2. I was in cat 3 and 4. Heck a lot of our family friends growing up were top riders, provincial champions, you name it. I did the wrenching for a handful of cat 1 and 2 riders too. Was in the racing scene for 20 ish years. Been riding with racers for 40 years.

OK we did have may a post-race party too, with riders from all categories. Some of the cat 1 s would have a drink too, LOL

And when I was at my fittest back in the road racing days, I was pretty grumpy. Mtn bike scene puts me in a better mood. Hey never come across a grumpy mtn biker in 30 years mtn biking, but the a-hole factor is strong at any road race. Have seen fist fights break out during cat 1 races, folks yelling at commissaires, bikes thrown. Again, never see that at a mtn bike race - I was chief organizer of a sanctioned race for 5 years, (family and friends were road race organizers).

$0.02
    So you went from an assertion about Cat 1s being tired and insecure and not talking to people, to you being a cat 3 and being grumpy.

Nice connection.

Shooting blanks? Doesn't seem like it when we get down to the actual facts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast