Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I use some Plantronic BackBeat Fit headphones for running and walking the dog. They work great and don't block outside noise. I haven't tried them riding primarily because I'm afraid I'll like riding to music and will need to carry them around with me riding too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Playing music in your ears blocks outside sounds. This isn't hard. If you choose to listen to music with headphones while riding, you have to assume you're not going to hear everything you'd hear without the headphones.
    It all depends on how loud you listen to the music. With open headphones, at sensible volume levels, you will hear everything you need to hear... cars approaching, people talking to you, the sound of your bike. They don't play music IN your ears. They are outside your ears, and do not block outside noise. Take a look at the Aftershokz link to above. There is nothing over or in your ear.

The problem with earbuds (and typical closed headphones) is not just the music playing, but that the very designs seal out noise from the outside. Even if you have the music off, you still have trouble hearing.

Open designs don't block noise from the outside. Music could MASK it, but only if you listen to it too loud. But the same is true of any noise... someone talking to you, a noisier area, or a handlebar mounted speaker.

I have only tried my open-backed headphones on my bike once for a short spin (too cumbersome and big for cycling use) but I walk around town with them occasionally. It is not ANYTHING like earbuds or closed headphones. I can hear cars coming, people talking, or someone scraping their foot behind me....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Koss ksc75 would be my suggestion. Open back use a hook over your ears so they will not interfere with your helmet. Pretty good reviews. I used to wear them in the gym

Closed back, or iem. (Inner ear monitor) will reduce your ability to hear. Most advertise a 10 decibel reduction. You can still hear if the volume is turned down, but not as well.

Ear bud like the ones that come from Apple and sit outside the ear canal are generally open and will not interfere with your hearing.

On occasions where I want music, I use a Bluetooth speaker designed to sit in a bottle cage. Works very well. As for those who don't like my music, 2 choices. 1. ride ahead, or, behind. 2. Wait for the next song. I'm pretty eclectic. Everything from alternative to zydeco except hip hop

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

bone conduction phones

Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    The nature of earphones is that they will always block out some noises.
    This is no longer true.

The TrekZ AfterShokZ (a link was posted near the top) work by bone conduction and don't cover any part of the ear opening. They sit on the cheekbone in front of the ear, and if anything might reduce wind noise slightly by diverting the flow around the earhole a bit. I can hear birds chirping, leaves rustling, and (sadly) any click or squeak my bike might produce, all while listening to news or tunes.

I've been using them for about 5 months and I love them. Wireless (bluetooth) and rechargeable (I don't know how long a charge lasts, but I've done 4+ hour rides with no problem).

I think they sound great (but I'm no audiophile). And I've found them to be very comfortable. No slipping issues at all, but the pressure is not strong enough be at all uncomfortable (and I'm very sensitive to that with things like sunglasses, gloves, sweatbands, etc.).

The AfterShokz are the priciest option that I found among this type of headphone, but not that bad at ~$120. There are cheaper options around but I have no direct knowledge of how they compare.

Check them out OP. I've used earbuds since I started road riding 6-7 years ago, and I'll never go back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes. I have a set of wired Aftershokz 'bone-conduction' headphones. It is a solution to the presumed insurmountable problem of hearing around you and hearing the music simultaneously. They actually do allow this. They are not worn on the ears, you see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Just curious, for those who have to have the music on while cycling, is your ride that boring to the point of needing the background music?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Just curious, for those who have to have the music on while cycling, is your ride that boring to the point of needing the background music?
    I think most people have more than one ride they do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Music While Cycling

That is an interesting view on music: that it is solely for the treatment of boredom.
    Last edited by kapusta; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:41 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    That is an interesting view on music: that it is solely for the treatment of boredom.
    I didn't say solely. It is often used for compensating the boredom. I've seen recreational basketball or tennis games with a boombox playing next to the court.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I use Jaybirds for my rides. I can still hear car/background noise even though they are "in the ears." One point that wasnt mentioned but is probably common sense is the fact that you will not be "blasting" the music to where you cant hear anything with any set of headphones. I use it for the white noise effect even if its playing classical to trance music!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Sadly, often true. I work full time, have a house to take care of, and 3 busy kids (8-12) whose activities chew up much of my free time. I'm generally happy if I can get in a couple of 1-2 hr, and a 3-4 hr block of time for riding in a given week.

I ride for health/exercise/relaxation, and I'm not willing to waste what little riding time I have driving somewhere to ride, so most of my rides are in my immediate neighborhood. And after 25,000+ miles over the past 6-7 years, yes I sometimes find the view a little stale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I've seen recreational basketball or tennis games with a boombox playing next to the court.
    Do you think that's because they're bored?

RoadBikeReview Member
    maybe not as boring as reading your cranky post on this topic

but then .. F'n right road cycling is boring. Recall I enjoyed watching the IndyPacific racers last month. Fascinating study of human endurance ... every single one of them equipped with headphones for music. Some were even watching movies on their smart phones at night while riding the long boring roads 15+ hours every day.

Completely normal for a solo cyclist to have the tunes on. each to their own of course

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Do you think that's because they're bored?
    Not bored but maybe not exciting enough. I don't do that when riding or playing other sports.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    maybe not as boring as reading your cranky post on this topic
    I'm not cranky but curious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I use a stereo to mono ear bud in my right ear. They make them for either the left or the right ear. I can still hear outside noise with my left ear.

Neophyte
    Some places like California now have it illegal to cover both ears. Personally for safety I can't imagine wearing headphones/earbuds, but my hearing is pretty bad as it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    It should be more about what not to do.
    More not to do like what?

Turn left? Ride in the middle of the road? Start paperboying back and forth?

None of which I'd assert you should be doing anyway. Not sure what hearing has to do with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Is music solely for alleviating boredom?

What an extremely odd assertion.

Edit: beaten to the punch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Not bored but maybe not exciting enough. I don't do that when riding or playing other sports.
    Ilisten to music while doing anything and everything. Driving, riding, running, working, walking a long distance, etc.

Has nothing to do with boredom or not.

Again, weird assertion.

a real member's member
    i listen to the hundreds of albums on my smartphone all the time while home just using its speaker. it's easy and feels great while cooking, reading, wrenching, or just getting ready to go out.

does it relieve boredom? yes. is boredom a major reason i've devoted a huge chunk of my existence to music, film, and literature? no. i would say satisfying a deep, primal urge is more the reason for that.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    More not to do like what?

Turn left? Ride in the middle of the road? Start paperboying back and forth?
    You forgot passing someone in front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    What an extremely odd assertion.
    Again, weird assertion.
    Which is it, extremely odd or weird?

BTW, it was a question (post #31), not an assertion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    You forgot passing someone in front.
    Do you not look back when passing someone in front?

Does listening to music prevent that, somehow?

You're simply making zero sense here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Which is it, extremely odd or weird?

BTW, it was a question (post #31), not an assertion.
    It's oddly weird.

It's a leading question centered on the premise that one must be bored to listen to music.

An actual open-ended question would be, "Why do you feel you need to listen to music?"

Part of the nuance of the English language.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast