Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Just curious, for those who have to have the music on while cycling, is your ride that boring to the point of needing the background music?
    For me this is like asking
    "just curious, why do people want to have sex for any reason other than to procreate? Are a couple hanging out together that bored they have to do this?"

I have this good friend that never owned a stereo, never bought a record, CD, etc.

So I get some some folks just don't understand how people can enjoy music. I enjoy music, dig it, and it makes doing else I also enjoy even better. 1+1=3

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    I have this good friend that never owned a stereo, never bought a record, CD, etc.

So I get some some folks just don't understand how people can enjoy music. I enjoy music, dig it, and it makes doing else I also enjoy even better. 1+1=3
    sounds like my now elderly step dad, whose social intelligence is well below average.

thirty years ago, he asked me about his son, my half-brother, "why does he buy all these music cd's?"

"he's normal," i said.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    It's oddly weird.
    You forgot "extremely".

It's a leading question centered on the premise that one must be bored to listen to music.
    That's your assertion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Does listening to music prevent that, somehow?
    I don't remember stating that listening to music prevents that.

You're simply making zero sense here.
    Seems that you are making zero effort to adequately comprehend what's written before responding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    It's a leading question centered on the premise that one must be bored to listen to music.
    Exactly.

Though the term that came to my mind was "loaded question".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Exactly.

Though the term that came to my mind was "loaded question".
    And the real reason/s for listening to music while riding is/are?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    And the real reason/s for listening to music while riding is/are?
    They like music.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just curious, for those who have to have the music on while cycling, is your ride that boring to the point of needing the background music?
    Everyone's brain works differently and everyone enjoys different things. I stopped listening to music on rides when podcasts arrived. I listen to a lot of history podcasts. In any case, I only listen when riding alone. When I don't keep my mind occupied with podcasts, I end up thinking about all sorts of stressful things. Work, money, whatever. I can't escape it. The stressful thoughts persist. Funny thing though, when I surfed I could sit in the ocean for hours without a single bad thought, even when I wasn't catching waves. So, for me, listening to podcasts takes me out of my own painful mind.
    “Man may trust man, Prince Elric, but perhaps we'll never have a truly sane world until men learn to trust mankind. That would mean the death of magic, I think.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tschai View Post
    When I don't keep my mind occupied with podcasts, I end up thinking about all sorts of stressful things.
    Interesting that you mention that. I've heard others who said the "silence" drives them nuts so they have to have some background noise on, be it music, radio or TV station.

I like music and have invested large sum of money on home audio system (custom designed & built speakers, active bi-amp, acoustic treatments...etc.). When I ride bicycle, all the outside noise interferes with the sound quality so I prefer not to listen. Plus, I enjoy the sound of nature (birds, water, insects).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I use Jabra Sport Pace bluetooth headphones for biking and working out. Mine don't totally seal off outside noise. I keep it at a volume that I can still hear. I ride solo 90% of the time and I have never ridden without music.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I enjoy the sound of nature (birds, water, insects).
    that's great for mtn biking. but on the road bike there is a lot of wind noise in my ears . and traffic noise grating on my nerves too.

and not all bird noise is desirable, LOL. At the local mtn bike trail system there are a crapload of ravens and eagles and man they are irritatingly screechy awful things to listen to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    For me:
    -Group ride- No ear phones
    -Solo ride on the road- Right ear phone in
    -Solo ride on a dedicated bike trail or very empty road- Both earphones in, low volume.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    but on the road bike there is a lot of wind noise in my ears .
    Here you go.

At the local mtn bike trail system there are a crapload of ravens and eagles and man they are irritatingly screechy awful things to listen to.
    I can see that.

Music While Cycling-baltimore-ravens-fans.jpg

Music While Cycling-3daebf3da3bb49db3958edd0c5304aa8.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I am thinking about trying the music listening while riding...I was wondering....what do you that listen to music use for your music carrier ? Phone,ipod , mp3 player ect ?

I would like to do it as cheaply as possible. ...just to see if I like it. I do take my phone with me when I ride but I don't have any music on it as of now.

Old ipod and a wired ear bud for starters ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mburke View Post
    I am thinking about trying the music listening while riding...I was wondering....what do you that listen to music use for your music carrier ? Phone,ipod , mp3 player ect ?

I would like to do it as cheaply as possible. ...just to see if I like it. I do take my phone with me when I ride but I don't have any music on it as of now.

Old ipod and a wired ear bud for starters ?
    Walkman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I'm a Problem Child.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt D View Post
    I ride solo 90% of the time and I have never ridden without music.
    When I ride alone I prefer to be by myself.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I'm a Problem Child.
    if i put on that album, dirty deeds, i'd have to be sure to hit open road by the time bon started, "all in the name of liberty!"

jailbreak!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by mburke View Post
    I am thinking about trying the music listening while riding...I was wondering....what do you that listen to music use for your music carrier ?
    phone with micro card full of tunes (mp3s), $5 poweramp app and bluetooth earbuds from amazon.

My other bike has knobbys
    I've used a couple options for tunes on the bike (a must for long distance solo riding for me). 1) Otus Safe-Sounds and 2) Aftershokz headset.

The Otus product are like oversized earbuds that you mount on your helmet to the sound projects down toward your ears. You can still hear the ambient sounds and get your tunes... akin to a car stereo for the bike, but mounted on your helmet instead of the doors, dash and so on of a car. Had mine for a good number of years but I've retired them this year as I think the weather has finally caught up with them (they are well patina'd a funky shade of frost blue). Paired with a little shuffle, I was able to have a nice, contained sound set-up on the helmet and never had any issues with hearing anything around me (granted, I'm also not one who needs "wake the dead" noise levels...my sound gear only goes to "10 ;) )

The Aftershokz product is an "open ear" headphone....works on bone conduction tech. Some find they can interfere with riding glasses, but they were fine for me. Some claim they have poor base response, but the newer versions do quite well, imho. I've got a wired version with the little battery pod....mounted it on the helmet the same as I had the Shuffle (using a 3M "mushroom" tape....think industrial velcro). So far, I'm really impressed.

A further note regarding bass: with the Otus product, the bass is there, but it's like any earbud at a distance...a little weak. After all, it's dang hard to replicate a 12" sub from such small drivers. At lower volumes, the Otus stuff gives it a good go, but it can get a bit "ragged" when trying to pump it out loud. The Aftershokz responds across the frequencies, it's just weaker as it is hard to induce heavy base through your bones without a lot more power. Still, unless you're going for "11" on the volume, it does a pretty good job and you still hear everything.

Just my thoughts.
    So 8 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2017 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

RoadBikeReview Member

I like music and have invested large sum of money on home audio system (custom designed & built speakers, active bi-amp, acoustic treatments...etc.). When I ride bicycle, all the outside noise interferes with the sound quality so I prefer not to listen. Plus, I enjoy the sound of nature (birds, water, insects).
    This happens to me with certain things. I think it's a form of perfectionism. If something isn't perfect, you reject it entirely. One time my dad and I decided to redo my bedroom ourselves with tongue and groove wood paneling. My dad was quite accomplished at such things. I quickly discovered that no matter how much I tried, there is no absolute perfection when it comes to construction and the like. The paneling was being installed correctly, but I was driving myself nuts over any and all meaningless imperfections. It got so bad I had to stop working on it.
    “Man may trust man, Prince Elric, but perhaps we'll never have a truly sane world until men learn to trust mankind. That would mean the death of magic, I think.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tka View Post
    I use some Plantronic BackBeat Fit headphones for running and walking the dog. They work great and don't block outside noise. I haven't tried them riding primarily because I'm afraid I'll like riding to music and will need to carry them around with me riding too.
    I use the same thing for riding and don't have issues hearing cars or other riders announcing a pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Group rides or with my dad: no music
    Solo rides: music if I remember.

I might get out for a solo ride once a week, sometimes not even that. Most other days It will be a group ride of some sort. I enjoy listening to music when I remember to grab the headphones. I have quite a bit of music on my phone (mainly for playing in the car) but I have a playlist specifically for biking. I just use the standard iphone headphones which are great for sound quality while still allowing you to hear what is going on around you but due to the wires sometimes can be a hassle and they don't always want to stay in while riding. I run the wire under my jersey so being wired also prevents taking out the phone for a quick picture should the occasion arise. I would probably listen more often if I had a good set of wireless headphones but that is pretty low on my priority of bike related purchases.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When I ride bicycle, all the outside noise interferes with the sound quality so I prefer not to listen. Plus, I enjoy the sound of nature (birds, water, insects).
    You need a file with the sounds of birds, water and insects for those areas where there aren't any.

I use the Trekz Titanium, bone conduction. They work really well, don't block noise and are OK as far as sound quality goes. Super lightweight and easy to operate.

Sometimes I use just right ear from a pair of completely wireless. these don't interfere with helmets or sunglasses.

For me, the sound quality from bone conduction or a single wireless is like a unicycle riding bear. I'm not disappointed he doesn't do it well, I'm surprised he can do it at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Most of the time I never need any music or entertainment. However once in a while when I know I'll be doing a solo hard mountain climb, the music/podcast or whatever is nice to have to distract my mind off the suffering I'm doing up a ridiculous mountain. This is usually in an area where there is very little traffic.

I do use the aftershokz bone conduction headphones. If your an audiophile, this is not the one for you. They work and in a very odd way can hear music or sound through your jaw bones. They don't work well in producing high fidelity sound or good bass. If you turn it up... the vibrators will buzz on your jaw bone and be a bit annoying. However, they do serve my purpose of producing enough sound to keep my mind a bit distracted from suffering, yet allow enough ambient sound so I can hear a car coming behind me.

I'll also be one to admit that even with these bone conduction headphones, you will be marginally less aware of your surroundings. This may not have to do with the headphones blocking sound, but rather your brain being less aware when you have music on. When your listening to something, you tend to tune out other noises. Therefore I use it only in situations where I'm much more isolated on a mountain climb with a dedicated shoulder.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123