Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015

Music While Cycling

I'm tired of doing long rides with no music and I've been doing some research on headphones that allow ambient noise for safety and don't fall out of your ear. I've also read some about the jawline "headphones" that seem pretty cool. Any feedback on what works well and doesnt?

I want wireless, something where I can still hear cars coming, other riders, etc, and something that doesn't fall out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Not wireless necessarily, but the only ones that have ever worked for me are ones that hook over the ears. Cost about $6 bucks which is nice since they inevitably rust out by fall.

Can hear all of the normal stuff with them as the earbud parts just sit on the outside opening of my ear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I ride with music, but keep the tunes source on my handlebar, not in my ears.
    I use the bluetooth connected buckshot - works well, even has a mic and cell phone integration for taking calls (if you use that as the source). This thing just works, and it's easy to adjust volume, pause, skip tracks while riding without tinkering with your bluetooth source. BTW I use an ipod nano in my jersey side pocket as the source.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Tech-.../dp/B00EPWZXLA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Some folks rave about https://aftershokz.com

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I sometimes ride with Jaybird bluetooth headphones. At about half volume I can hear cars, riders, bike noises etc...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Apologize for the tangential response, but I'm in the saddle for 7-9 hours and never once thought of music. For me the key is lots of climbs and nature filled routes. Was curious to know if your routes are visually stimulating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    I wasn't going to go there. For me, I love the quiet and sound of nature. I find it great to clear my head. But, to each his own.

What the what???
    I usually use the iphone speakers since it's already mounted on the bars. I don't listen to music very often though, but it has helped get me through some longer rides.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I don't know what speed you music listening cyclists are riding at but for me (not that fast) the wind noise is loud enough to drown out any music playing safely (ears not plugged).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    I wish I had nice scenery while riding....nothing but flat roads, houses, and a million cars. I have to stick to roads with wide shoulders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I don't know what speed you music listening cyclists are riding at but for me (not that fast) the wind noise is loud enough to drown out any music playing safely (ears not plugged).

Turn the music up, then?

Or get more aero...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gasman777 View Post
    I'm tired of doing long rides with no music and I've been doing some research on headphones that allow ambient noise for safety and don't fall out of your ear. I've also read some about the jawline "headphones" that seem pretty cool. Any feedback on what works well and doesnt?

I want wireless, something where I can still hear cars coming, other riders, etc, and something that doesn't fall out.
    It did not take long for the sanctimonious crowd to show up ;-)

Been thinking about something like this as well, for all kinds of activities.

I had always ruled out earphones/earbuds for walking/running/biking because I was worried about hearing what is going on around me (especially on a bike). Then a year ago I got a set of open-backed headphones for home use, and it really changed the way I think about this. They don't block any outside sounds at all. You are not disconnected from your surroundings.

Would be very interested in small over-ear options that would work similarly and also work with a helmet. Not something I would use often, but there are times it would be nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    Turn the music up, then?

Or get more aero...
    You missed the point, which is what kapusta above brought up regarding the awareness of the surroundings.

Big is relative
    When I commuted in Hawaii, the first 4 miles were on the shoulder of a busy road. After I got on the Pearl Harbor bike path I'd push my headphones in and listen for the next 9 miles until I got to work. It was usually around 5am and I was the only person on the path. I never used them in traffic, I like to have my senses about me. I used the hook over the ear type because I could hang them from the helmet straps if I got into heavy rain. Headphones in the ears and rain don't mix well.

I've done some organized centuries this spring and find that music blasting out of speakers on the handlebars is rude to the other riders. I'm a big guy and a popular draft, but I'll pull out and let someone go if they're going to be behind me with loud music playing. If a rider wants to wear headphones in a group, that's their choice not to hear other people call out hazards. Most group rides prohibit headphones or handlebar speakers.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    When I commuted in Hawaii, the first 4 miles were on the shoulder of a busy road. After I got on the Pearl Harbor bike path I'd push my headphones in and listen for the next 9 miles until I got to work. It was usually around 5am and I was the only person on the path. I never used them in traffic, I like to have my senses about me. I used the hook over the ear type because I could hang them from the helmet straps if I got into heavy rain. Headphones in the ears and rain don't mix well.

I've done some organized centuries this spring and find that music blasting out of speakers on the handlebars is rude to the other riders. I'm a big guy and a popular draft, but I'll pull out and let someone go if they're going to be behind me with loud music playing. If a rider wants to wear headphones in a group, that's their choice not to hear other people call out hazards. Most group rides prohibit headphones or handlebar speakers.
    The OP is asking about earphones that DO NOT block outside sounds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    The nature of earphones is that they will always block out some noises. The simple solution, a quality set of earbuds and only put one in your ear. I've been doing that for 20 years and never had any problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Music While Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    The nature of earphones is that they will always block out some noises
    This is not necessarily true.

This is what I thought until I started using open backed Grado headphones at home.

And look at the link above to the ones that don't even go over your ears.
    Last edited by kapusta; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    You missed the point, which is what kapusta above brought up regarding the awareness of the surroundings.
    Nah, you're just not thinking this through. If you can't hear music in your ear due to wind, you can't hear much else, either.

The "awareness of surroundings" is tripe brought out by people that are seemingly oblivious to everything, regardless of whether or not hearing is involved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    The nature of earphones is that they will always block out some noises. The simple solution, a quality set of earbuds and only put one in your ear. I've been doing that for 20 years and never had any problems.
    You cannot ride and not have sounds blocked out. Ever ride in a group of people talking? Can you understand the conversations of people in front or behind you? Outside of a stiff tailwind or an ambulatory pace, no, you can't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    You cannot ride and not have sounds blocked out. Ever ride in a group of people talking? Can you understand the conversations of people in front or behind you? Outside of a stiff tailwind or an ambulatory pace, no, you can't.
    You may not be able to understand or hear specific words of conversations, but you can hear that there is noise coming from somewhere. Additionally, there is a difference between the sound coming from a car, or someone yelling from behind that they are approaching you with the intent to let you know, and casual background noise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    You may not be able to understand or hear specific words of conversations, but you can hear that there is noise coming from somewhere. Additionally, there is a difference between the sound coming from a car, or someone yelling from behind that they are approaching you with the intent to let you know, and casual background noise.
    There's always some type of noise. Point is even when that noise is within 2-3 feet of you it can be muffled or distorted to the point of being irrelevant. Cars 20-30 feet or more behind you may or may not be heard depending on wind direction.

But say you do hear a car. Can you explain what it is you do so differently when you hear a car?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Nah, you're just not thinking this through. If you can't hear music in your ear due to wind, you can't hear much else, either.
    No, you are not thinking this through. The phrase I used was "drown out". Not the same thing as "can't hear".

The "awareness of surroundings" is tripe brought out by people that are seemingly oblivious to everything, regardless of whether or not hearing is involved.
    Of course, in your anecdotal view, which you are entitled to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    but you can hear that there is noise coming from somewhere.
    Including the noise coming from the bicycle itself such as clicking or creaks which may be an indication of mechanical problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    But say you do hear a car. Can you explain what it is you do so differently when you hear a car?
    It should be more about what not to do.

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    The OP is asking about earphones that DO NOT block outside sounds.
    Playing music in your ears blocks outside sounds. This isn't hard. If you choose to listen to music with headphones while riding, you have to assume you're not going to hear everything you'd hear without the headphones.
    Retired sailor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast