RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

My bike sits in the garage, collecting dust.

I love riding my bike. It's carbon, fits well, sleek, and is something I am proud to own, sort of like my homemade 16" dobsonian telescope. I look at it in my garage and am proud and happy to have it. The telescope and my bike take me on journeys. One thing about astronomy, well it is like cycling, there is a community of people. In astronomy here in San Diego, a familiar name for some is Brian Jennings. I did not know him that well, but a very good astronomy friend of mine did. he was a gem of a human being, and he is gone, taken away from the world, from his wife, daughter, students, all because one woman fell asleep at the wheel. Now this last week my bike has sat idle in my garage collecting dust. It could have been me, ir can be me.

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/20...ege-professor/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    It sucks,I know the feeling. This is why I stop riding for 5 months during summer,too many dumb tourists in my area.

May the guy rest in peace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Death can come at any time from any direction and there isn't any hiding from it. Don''t let the loss of a friend cause the loss of a form of enjoyment, ride that bike. Ride it in his memory, enjoy the bike.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Death can come at any time from any direction and there isn't any hiding from it.
    Thank you -- came here to say this. When your number is up, it's up.

Contrasted with the mayhem regularly posted here, this appears to be an unfortunate accident. The driver likely has a medical issue that she'll have to take up with the DMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    or she is lying about texting at the wheel for all we know
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Slowski
    Everyone has a limited amount of time, and none of us know how much is left. Only you can decide how best you should spend it.

a real member's member
    "we're all going to die. that doesn't make much sense, does it?"

- john cheever, the swimmer
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Everyday is a gift. You could slip in the shower tomorrow and fall or be a victim of some random and stupid fatal act. Mortailty and society and whatnot. Wishing for all of us to wish for all of us to avoid all of those situations...

That said, be confident, be smart, be aware, and ride your bike. It's the cheapest medicine there is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Death can come at any time from any direction and there isn't any hiding from it. Don''t let the loss of a friend cause the loss of a form of enjoyment, ride that bike. Ride it in his memory, enjoy the bike.
    A key point here: statistics show that on a per hour basis, driving is 2X more dangerous than riding a bike. And note that a significant fraction of bike fatalities are urban ninja folks, so the actual road cyclist is at a pretty low relative risk. Motorcycling is 8x more dangerous than cycling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've known people that have died while driving, flying, cycling, swimming, scuba diving.

I continue to do all of these, can find no reason not to...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

flinty-eyed moderator
    The bike will be there when you are ready- in the meanwhile, maybe do some mountain biking, goof off on Zwift ect. . . .
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    The driver of that minivan should be executed. Who's with me?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    that sucks bud , but there is always chance for some1 to get hit . U dont need to be on bike for it to hapen its just world

RoadBikeReview Member
    That didn't take long.

Yesterday I got sideswiped on the way to work. I tried to follow a curve and the driver who overtook me went straight and told the police I rode into her car. The bike seems to be OK, thank you. I have road rash on my left shoulder, arm, and leg, and some aching ribs.

My helmet did its job. What really saved the day was the RoadID wrist band. Just kidding. As with my last hospital visit in 2014, no one at the hospital had any idea what it was. This time I have taken it off for good, so as not to unintentionally endorse it.

If I feel well enough Monday I'm going to resume commuting. Also strongly considering both a Fly6 and 12.

Finally, having nothing better to do today I took a several mile walk through an urban area to go to the DMV. I felt less safe as a pedestrian than I do on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Well, this will not be the reason why I gave up cycling. There are always accidents because I am afraid of accidents and do not do what I want to do.
    This is not me.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    The bike seems to be OK.
    whew. thank god.

seriously, glad you're ok. you're like the best poster here...
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. Was back on the bike today. Will have to wait out t-storms for the evening commute. It will be great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's sad. I've been off mine for a spell now. The inattentiveness of motorists has been an ongoing situation not only for bicyclists. We rear ended a motorist who had to cut into the car pool lane across the double yellow and he didn't step on the gas. He also fled the scene. Had a dash cam so his "escape" was short lived when the CHP came knocking on his door a few days later. We were fortunate and the car took $6.8K in damages.

One of my last rides there was a group of college aged males out on the trail. They didn't like how I passed them even though I announced my approached and slowed passing them at a 2-3 mph differential speed. Two gave chase and I wasn't about to slow to find out why one of them was so irate. I could hear one of them telling his buddy to calm down and stop.

Dealing with dogs, scooter riders, inattentive bicyclists and casual pedestrians on the paths has cramped how I feel about riding now. I prefer the confines of being on my block and street to do laps now.

Be conscious, ride safe and that's about the best you can do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Life is scary. I won't pretend that you aren't risking your life a little bit every time you go for a ride. It's naive to think that being the slowest, hardest to see, and least protected person out on the road doesn't matter.

Two cyclists I know were killed by drivers in the past 3 months and one more survived a hit and run.

With that said, I love riding and will keep doing it regardless. Can't control what other people out there are doing but you can minimize risk by behaving differently.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Thanks. Was back on the bike today. Will have to wait out t-storms for the evening commute. It will be great.
    Good to hear.

Now you know another situation to be aware of and avoid: never turn in front of an approaching car. Speed differential will get you every time. Turn in back of the car, always. The cars behind are following the cars in front, and you're tucked right in there, safe and sound, getting a nice draft.

Were you in the right lane of two turn lanes? There's one like that here. I save a few seconds going completely left before the intersection, turn into the crosswalk usually still green, ride a few yards to a motel entrance and use the pedestrian lights. Whatever works. The sidewalk is your friend!