Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

My First Imperial Century ...

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n 
#1 · (Edited)
I have my road bike for 1 year now. Done slightly more than 1000 miles and thought would give this a go, since I managed to go out on quite a few rides this last few weeks. Went through the Metric Century sometime ago. So this was the big one for me and glad to have done that.

I planned the route on the Edge 800 and MADE sure there were no long climbs towards the end of the ride. It was also to check my endurance, as I was thinking of doing a sportive of the same distance but with double the amount of climbs. Good thing I did not do that sportive. :D

It was quite tough to motivate myself to keep the pace up as I find myself slowing down to a gentle stroll on a few occasions, and then a quick wake up to reality as I noticed the distance to go. :eek:

Will make sure that I do the next one with some other riders. Did some introductory rides with a few clubs sometime back and it was easier to cycle in a group. Esp if you are not in front. :D

Am I correct that the calories used is not really accurate as I do not have the HRM? So it is just a general rough figure based on my age and weight and distance travelled?

See less See more
#7 ·
... Even with a HR monitor the calorie estimate is just an estimate... and that value looks really high to me. Don't eat to replenish that quantity of calories, at any rate. :)
Had some discussions with my cycling mates and they did comment that the figure is too high. What I do normally is to eat a banana straight after a ride and an apple or 2. Just to get rid of the hunger pangs. Then lots of water and maybe a cup of tea. That usually works.

Am trying to get rid of the 'handles' on either side of my abdominals ... :rolleyes:

Congrats on doing a Imperial century, 165 miles total in one day, that's quite a ride...
It would have been quite impressive if it had been 165 miles in 1 day :p but alas, it was only 100 miles or 161 km. :eek:

200 km seems the more likely target now ... or 124 miles.

#6 ·
Congrats on doing a Imperial century, 165 miles total in one day, that's quite a ride. I'm hoping, note the key word "hoping" do to a 200 mile ride around the end of August; but I have a bony ass so I'm not sure if I can do it till I get back the week before doing 150 miles and see how the butt bones feel. If I'm in too much pain in the butt at 150 then I'm going forget the 200. I'm not getting paid to be in pain.

#8 ·
Great job. You beat the 7 hour mark too, haha. I just got an Edge 800. I bet planning the route on there would make going for the 100 mile route a lot less stressful. Even with just the base maps, following a planned route isn't too bad. Do you have the base maps or did you add other more detailed maps to your Garmin?

#12 ·
That is great. I haven't crossed 100km this season, yet. Last summer I went to about 120km a couple of times, this summer I've been focusing on upping my power as upposed to endurance, but I should really try and carry both forward at the same time. Best of luck with your 200km endeavour!

#13 ·
Congrats on your awesome ride! I hope to do my first century in a few months. Regarding the calories, I did the same ride before and after getting a HR monitor on my Garmin 910XT, the same 22 mile ride before the HR monitor showed 1402 calories, and after the HR monitor the exact same ride showed 875 calories.

#14 ·
I had a half way point where I could go on or turn to go straight home ... :D

I guess with the HRM the calories used will take into account of the heart rate naturally which is another additional and important factor and without it they must have some general formula based just solely on your age and weight. But it is surprising to see it to be so far out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.