Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

my tire is too big

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
I bought new Gigantex carbon rims for my road bike. The tires are about 2 months old and the front one keeps slipping out of the rim. Is there someone with a lot of experience with tires that knows which tires have a tight fit? There is a thread that explains that Michelin tires are tight fitting but that thread was 6 years old. They might be different now.

#2 ·
what tires are you using that are popping out of the rim?

#4 ·
This forum has different sections that are set up by the owners for different types of subject matter. There is a 'wheels/tires' section for questions like yours. In the future please use the correct section.

As for your question, it's not a problem w/ the tire or them, or it shouldn't be. More likely a problem w/ how the tire is being installed.

#5 ·
I bought new Gigantex carbon rims for my road bike. The tires are about 2 months old and the front one keeps slipping out of the rim. Is there someone with a lot of experience with tires that knows which tires have a tight fit? There is a thread that explains that Michelin tires are tight fitting but that thread was 6 years old. They might be different now.
I'm assuming identical rims and the same tire in the back and the back combo is okay. Don't be afraid to actually apply some thought here.

#11 ·
My first thought would be a defective bead on your tire.

What is the INTERNAL width of your rims? Which rims are these?

#13 ·
I get the feeling that this particular Gigantex rim is defective, either its diameter is a little small or its bead hook is weird. It would be helpful if you could compare the diameter of the front vs the rear Gigantex rim. Take a piece of sewing thread/string and stretch it across the diameter of both rims and see if their diameter are the same.

#15 ·
Either your rim is defective or your tyre is defective. One or the two, or perhaps even both. You might have noticed that the rims aren't the same width, or your tyre is defective. It should be one of the two and you should be able to work it out. If the tyre is defective take it back and get a new one. If the rim is defective either get it replaced or buy a new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.