RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

"Nasal Filter" for Fall Cycling Runny Noses?

I typically love this time of year in Wisconsin where the temperature and humidity drop a bit to make rides much more comfortable. However, I don't like it that my nose runs off my face (almost literally). I'm not sure if it's allergies, the cooler weather, or both, but it makes riding somewhat miserable some times.

For those of you who experience the same thing, what do you do to keep your nose in-check? Have any of you ever tried a "nasal filter", like from Rhinix.com?

I'm curious about them... a drug-free way to pre-filter air coming into your nose. I guess if it's the cold that's causing my running nose, then this nasal filter won't help. But it if is allergies, the filter would be an interesting solution!

"Nasal Filter" for Fall Cycling Runny Noses?-93275_web.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I am by no means an expert. And I can't answer for you or your experience. However, my runny nose quotient is controlled by the temp, humidity and airflow volume / effort.

My nose definitely runs less in the summer, but if it is humid enough and I am working hard enough, it definitely starts to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I too am no expert, but in cooler temps my nose runs a lot. My fix is the perpetual snot rock, just check that no one is with in distance and then let it fly.... don't need gimmicks
    Last edited by ROAD&DIRT; 09-11-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    "pre-filter"????? There is no filter, it might catch something big, allergy items are very small.
    And you can't clear your nose with that contraption in it!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it happens dependent on temperature or humidity, it's not an allergy and a filter won't do anything. Many of us have vasomotor rhinitis or nonallergic rhinitis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonallergic_rhinitis

Nonallergic rhinitis - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

Learn to shoot snot rockets. Turn your head to the side, pinch one nostril shut, blow out the other.

As a courtesy, warn others not to draft you in cold weather.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It's part of the sport. You just need to learn to deal with it.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Just take a Kleenex, roll it into a little cylinder, fold it in half, then stick one end up your left nostril, and the other up your right...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

gazing from the shadows
    https://www.verywell.com/nasal-air-filters-83163

In this study, the volunteers wore either a real Rhinix device that filters pollen, or a placebo device that had no filter, and were exposed to grass pollen in an EEU for 210 minutes. The volunteers reported various symptoms at baseline (before entering the EEU) and every 30 minutes during pollen exposure, then again three hours after exiting the EEU.

The results of the study were somewhat mixed. Overall, when total symptoms were considered, there was no difference between the volunteers wearing Rhinix compared to the placebo filter device. The Rhinix device was effective at reducing some allergic symptoms compared to placebo, however, including nasal itching, sneezing, and throat irritation. For other allergic symptoms, such as ​a runny nose and nasal congestion, the Rhinix device showed no benefit over a placebo filter device. Rhinix was completely safe to use, was well tolerated and caused no significant side effects.
    That study seemed to have the best controls of the few I looked at. Most don't control exposure levels.

I did see were multiple patents for such devices. I would say if they worked, we would see far more of them out there by now.

Try meds. The nasal sprays like Flonase seem to work well, and since your issue is seasonal you won't have to use it for long. Plus the spray will work off the bike, 24/7. This is what my wife does.

Also, since allergies are a response to tiny particles, you will be breathing that stuff in through your mouth. It will get in your eyes. You will still get symptoms as your body responds. Do you really want your nose to start running with that filter in?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Just take a Kleenex, roll it into a little cylinder, fold it in half, then stick one end up your left nostril, and the other up your right...
    a glove with a sweat wiper works well, as does a long sleeve. Try the pinch and flick in a ......pinch. You can wipe the remains on your shorts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This method doesn't address the vital issue that you still need to be able to breathe.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Try meds. The nasal sprays like Flonase seem to work well, and since your issue is seasonal you won't have to use it for long. Plus the spray will work off the bike, 24/7. This is what my wife does.
    Thanks for the quote on the nasal filter study... the study seems to pretty clearly indicate the filters aren't going to help my runny nose much.

I do use Flonase and while it does work reasonably well off the bike, it doesn't seem to have any impact on my nose turning into a faucet on the bike. This leads me to believe there is something other than allergies causing the issue, such as some type of rhinitis as Lombard suggested.

I haven't had much success with just doing the "farmer blow" (as my wife calls it) with clearing my nose... I find it hard to not make a mess when most of what's coming out of my nose is seemingly salt water (Sorry to be so descriptive... I guess this topic is going to be gross by it's very nature.)

Perhaps I need to invent a carbon fiber, aero Kleenex box for my bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If it happens dependent on temperature or humidity, it's not an allergy and a filter won't do anything. Many of us have vasomotor rhinitis or nonallergic rhinitis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonallergic_rhinitis

Nonallergic rhinitis - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

Learn to shoot snot rockets. Turn your head to the side, pinch one nostril shut, blow out the other.

As a courtesy, warn others not to draft you in cold weather.
    ^^^This^^^

RoadBikeReview Member
    I started allergy medicine this year for the first time at age 37... I still get a minor runny nose but no more puffy swollen eyes.

Check to see if seasonal allergies... If not.. Take a hankie with you or snot rockets.

Banned forever.....or not
    Just use the "farmer blow" method.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I haven't had much success with just doing the "farmer blow" (as my wife calls it) with clearing my nose...
    Gloves have terry sections for a reason.

Consider getting some terry wrist bands. Toss a few in a pocket, use, replace as needed. You could get a dozen for $15 or so at a guess, and that should cover you for multiple rides between washings.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Russian Troll Farmer
    This method doesn't address the vital issue that you still need to be able to breathe.
    Well, yeah, you'll have to be a 'mouth breather', but when my nose runs heavily, it's worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, yeah, you'll have to be a 'mouth breather', but when my nose runs heavily, it's worth it.
    Inhaling through the mouth is not a great idea if you can help it - especially in cold weather. The nose warms and filters the air, the mouth doesn't. I try to at least inhale through the nose even if exhaling through the mouth. Of course at a certain cardio pulmonary effort, nose breathing is next to impossible.

-- Warren Buffett

Russian Troll Farmer
    Yeah, I know; also inhaling bugs is a b!tch.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Inhaling through the mouth is not a great idea if you can help it - especially in cold weather. The nose warms and filters the air, the mouth doesn't. I try to at least inhale through the nose even if exhaling through the mouth. Of course at a certain cardio pulmonary effort, nose breathing is next to impossible.
    Not really a solution if you're riding at a decent effort level. Of course it will vary from person to person but most of us cannot get anywhere enough air by breathing just through the nose. Many can't get enough air breathing through the nose and clenched teeth.

As to this "technology" it is pretty much useless. A true pollen filter would seriously restrict air flow and not being able to fire of a snot rocket is a non-starter for many people.

a real member's member
    if you plug the nose and mouth simultaneously long enough, all your problems will be solved, i guarantee it!

i'll be here all week.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.