Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nashbar?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    You should see the wheels they pass off on new bicycles! I bought a lower end tarmac a few months ago and the front wheel was at least 10mm out of true after 800 miles. You get what you pay for in wheels.

Cranky Old Bastard
    I love Nashbar and probably always will. In the early '90s I'd drive 20 miles to their outlet store in Youngstown Ohio and get things for 10 cents on the dollar.
    My first (adult) real bike was one of their steel-framed tourers from that store. Great bike with Japanese-built Tange frame. Cost half what name brands sold for.
    Met Arni Nashbar one time when he was in the store. I never would have guessed the company was named after the owner.

Now they are owned by Performance and sell a lot of closeouts. They'll buy big lots of goods wherever they find them and blow them out.
    So if they have a great price on something you want you shouldn't wait. Might be gone soon.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    For what it's worth, I've had decent luck with my Vuelta MTB rims...I damaged some OEM Bontrager rims, at least in the extent that I got a flatspot or two, on the very same trails that my Vueltas held up strong to. I'd dare bet that my Vueltas were subject to (marginally) more stress due to me being heavier now, as well as being a little more aggressive (getting air in a few spots).

Anyway, they're a slightly fatter aero-style wheel with stickers all over 'em...which goes nicely with my MTB that I put as many stickers as I could on, since I dig the stock-car look
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone remember Spike Nashbar? That was their volleyball supply division/catalog. Seriously. I still remember getting the old Bike Nashbar catalog on newsprint back in the 80's. I loved getting those catalogs (pre-internet). They have always been a good company to deal with in my opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been ordering from for longer than I can remember, never had a problem. Back then there was Volleyball Nashbar and Bike Nashbar. Volleyball Nashbar was the bigger of the two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love Nashbar.

I use Performance Bike and Colorado Cyclist as well, but have always been very happy with Nashbar.

Even recently had someone senior there get on the phone with me to field a special request of mine to re-issue a Nasbar branded cycling duffel bag they used to sell. Over 10 years ago. I still run one for my road bike in the second separate one for my mountain bike. Call to get a matching set for my girlfriend. Unfortunately had to settle for something else

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Two wheel sets that each failed from less than 2000 miles of riding. Who sells junk like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
    Don't know what wheels are being referenced in the other thread, but I've seen the $100 Vuelta wheelsets on Nashbar, and if I got 2000 miles out of them, I'd consider it getting what I paid for.
    Lots of stuff here.

First off, like Teuthis, I own some Vuelta rims. Four sets, in fact, at four different price points. I love them.

I had read that the hubs don't stand up well to severe weather ... that might have been fixed, might not have. I know they have upgraded their designs a few times since I bought my first set ... and I have nothing but praise, but that is also just one more anecdote.

Second ... what is the rest of that story? I would never want to impugn the honesty of a fellow poster ... but I know sometimes who are otherwise completely honest will leave out a few salient facts when telling a story which might be ambiguous, because they want to come out looking a certain way ... in this case, the poster wanted to crap on Nashbar and look like he was perfect.

I have been shopping Heavily through Nashbar for a couple decades and have Zero complaints. I have sent stuff back simply because I didn't like it once I opened the package, and told them so, and got a refund no questions asked. ("Oops, I didn't read the description properly ,... give me money back because I am dumb." "Okay.")

That guy trashed a couple sets of wheels in a very short time. Mayybe Nashbar had questions about how he was managing to ruin the wheels?

After all, if Everyone found those wheels weren't lasting six months, Everyone would be raging about it on the Internet. You do have to wonder what this guy did that caused his wheels to fail, which apparently no one else ion the world is doing.

Also maybe, if you ride a lot of gravel roads with stream crossings in Pacific Northwest rainstorms ... spend a little more money, buy some more expensive hubs. Not saying the Vueltas aren't up for it ... but if you Really abuse a product, don't go for a lower-priced option. They are general-sue wheels. (They do make a variety of off-road wheels as well ... never heard a complaint.)

The final thing I think about that thread is ... why did they cancel his account? That is Not normal business practice for Nashbar that I have ever heard. I have to wonder exactly what was said by both sides, that led to such an extreme action.

I have chatted online with customer service and they have always been normal ... that is to say, decent and helpful. They have offered me an extended sale price because I couldn't get the precise info I wanted during a weekend sale--a little thing, but it shows something too. I have never had a return questioned.

I think there are chapters in that particular novel which have been edited out.

That said, I've had good luck with Nashbar.
    I would and will wholeheartedly recommend Nashbar. (Hate their new site by the way. The old one was more compact and all the pages worked. Makes me think they hired someone's unemployed nephew to do do the web work.)

Read the descriptions thoroughly, call or text or chat online if you have Any questions. Understand that their house brand stuff is not cheaper than the big-name stuff because it is identical except for the logo---but also know that Some of their house brand stuff offers very good value.

I have had some stitching problems with their cheapest shorts for a short period a few years back (maybe seven?) so I know they have been through three new vendors since. I own several sets of their bibs, absolutely not a bad thing to say.

I used to buy their tech-T jerseys ... six or eight dollars for a generously cut tech-fabric shirt with a pocket in the back, which is perfect for people who can stretch a 3X t-shirt to its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    They can have deals on decent stuff if you have a sharp eye for what you want. The good thing - if you change your mind after examining it, they will always allow you to return it, within a very liberal time frame.
    I Strongly recommend checking their Bargain Bin and more strongly their Returned Merchandise pages. I have bought amazing stuff for a third or more off ... brand-new, just out-of-package. Stuff people ordered, examined, and sent back.

My favorite pair of Lake road shoes were half price ... Three different people bought them, didn’t like the fit, and sent them back. The first two time I had them in my shopping cart but was slow to pull the trigger. The third time I didn’t hesitate and they turned out to be brand--new, no-scuff, no-scratch, “Tried them on and they didn’t feel good immediately” shoed which are perfect for my feet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    wow we're a pretty homogeneous group on here. I, too would buy from Nashbar back in the late 80s, early 90s. And was like kid in a candy store visiting their suburban Detroit outlet store.

but haven't ordered from them since about 92. Because I am in Canada it is generally a better deal ordering from UK and Ireland ecommerce bike shops than dealing with US ones (unless I have it sent to my US vacation home). I use chain reaction the most, then wiggle, amazon, and only occasionally use jenson or performance.

I can hardly remember the mail order days. it's like a bad dream, can't recall how clunky it was for us without internet. shopping in magazines - bwahaha

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Performance. Most bike manufacturers.
    How many bike manufacturers do you know who make/sell wheels? Sure, entry level models have cheaper wheels and some are re-badged off-brands. Even those are usually "cheap" because they are heavier, not less durable. Very few will have both hubs and rims fail before 2000 miles. Even my infamous Bontrager Race double spoked wheels ran 4000 miles before the rear rim cracked.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't know what wheels are being referenced in the other thread, but I've seen the $100 Vuelta wheelsets on Nashbar, and if I got 2000 miles out of them, I'd consider it getting what I paid for.
    By this logic, if you paid $500 and got 10K miles or paid $1,000 and got 20K miles, you got what you paid for. Right?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    By this logic, if you paid $500 and got 10K miles or paid $1,000 and got 20K miles, you got what you paid for. Right?
    I wasn't trying to be formulaic. Perhaps I should say that a little differently:

Since I expect quality to come at a price, I would be relieved to find that a $100 wheelset (a) worked at all out of the box (not tacoed, spokes somewhat tensioned, bearings not crunchy, freehub not all floppy) and (b) continued to work for another 2000 miles before pooping out.

Put another way, for $100, I'm not buying quality; I'm buying the wheelset that costs the least money.

Point of reference: for that $100, the customer is getting rims, tape, nipples, spokes, hubs, bearings, freewheel, skewers, assembly, truing, and packaging. That's a lot of manufacturing and labor for little money.
    ​Huzzah! I've figured out how to put something in the little box under my posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    I've patronized them many, many times over the years with few if any issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    You may want to read up on this recent thread:

nashbar warranty and ...customer shaming?
    Yeah; something was amiss in that thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

I Strongly recommend checking their Bargain Bin and more strongly their Returned Merchandise pages. I have bought amazing stuff for a third or more off ... brand-new, just out-of-package. Stuff people ordered, examined, and sent back.
    For the last few years most of my purchases from Nashbar was from their Returned Mechandise selection. I would wait until they had one of their 20-25% off sales which also applied to returned items and get smoking deals. Then fill my cart with other items I needed to get free shipping.

Disappointed they did away with the coupons because of how I typically shopped there. Got a returned set of Shimano 105 5800 carbon pedals (looked pretty darn new) for $35, a pair of return Nashbar bibs (in the packing still) for $10, a returned 6800 cassette for $20, Shimano M089 Wide shoes for $60 (looked like a cleat was installed but looked new) all using a % off coupon on returned items. I almost pulled the trigger on returned smart trainers a few times even. Regretting that one actually.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    Nashbar was originally a mail order company only back in the 80's.
    Uh, no. Back in the '70s is when they started.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Uh, no. Back in the '70s is when they started.
    Right. And they were originally called Bike Warehouse. I always assumed that they had to change the name because of a trademark issue, but for whatever reason founder Arni Nashbar started using his own name for the company in the early 80s.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yea, they've been around a long time. One of the first online bike parts retailers in the late '90's.
    How about late '70s? I got a great deal on a set of Super Record brakes from them in '79, that are still on the commuter bike. Arnie Nashbar was a great guy back in the day. He had all the good stuff at great prices. I got all my parts from them before Performance came up a few years later. Got a nice Selle Italia Turbo saddle for $22.00 a few years ago, the model Hinault and LeMond rode. Gonna put it on when the old Turbo wears out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12