Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nashbar?

Jack of no trades

Question Nashbar?

Anyone buy from this company before? They've got a deal so good (a $100 less than everyplace else I can find) it has me suspicious of what I'm actually going to be getting shipped out to me if I buy.

There's that saying: If something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Is that a serious question?
    Did you even try to search for Nashbar here?

yes, you can buy from them...

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    Is that a serious question?
    Did you even try to search for Nashbar here?

yes, you can buy from them...
    I've done a search and have noticed a lot of bad reviews on them. So yeah, I'm naturally concerned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    Anyone buy from this company before? They've got a deal so good (a $100 less than everyplace else I can find) it has me suspicious of what I'm actually going to be getting shipped out to me if I buy.

There's that saying: If something looks too good to be true, it usually is.
    Nashbar has been in business a long time. Its a legit company. A while back they were bought out by Performance and now they are more like the discount/clearance part of performance. I have ordered many times from them going back 25+ years

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Nashbar has always done right by me. Actually, I just placed another order!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Never had an issue with the company, prices, shipping, etc.... been buying from them for probably 20 years.

I did once buy a set of crappy house brand wheels, they took them back no questions.

Forever a Student
    They're fine.

So tell us what you bought.
    use a torque wrench

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I've bought tons of stuff from them over the years. They've always done right by me. My road bike is built up off of a Nashbar touring frame, and my MTB is sporting a set of their Vuelta-branded wheels.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I have ordered many times from them going back 25+ years
    Yea, they've been around a long time. One of the first online bike parts retailers in the late '90's.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned forever.....or not
    I believe that I first purchased something from them in 1984.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another thumbs up for Nashbar.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Nashbar was originally a mail order company only back in the 80's. I still have some of those early catalogs. Back when I was racing, every time we raced in Ohio on the trip down we always made sure to stop at the Nashbar outlet store which was were the headquarters were.

The outlet store back in the late 80's & early 90's was all the stuff that got returned for whatever reasons. Some of the stuff was clearly new & then there was the stuff that was clearly used & abused for a long period that got returned which Nashbar willingly took back.

Couldn't believe the amazing deals we got & always left with more bike stuff than we came with. I've been buying from Nashbar online since the 90's & have nothing but good things to say about the service & products they provide. The problem with this site & any other such sites is that they provide an avenue for trollers to vent no matter how unreasonable the matter is....that they've been wronged by xyz company in some way. Satisfied customers don't complain do they? So who's voice is the loudest??

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    They had a store near where I lived in Norther VA that closed some time ago. For a long time, they were one of the big mail order companies. Back before the internet, when they'd send catalogs out. I can't believe we ever lived like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You may want to read up on this recent thread:

nashbar warranty and ...customer shaming?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    They had a store near where I lived in Norther VA that closed some time ago. For a long time, they were one of the big mail order companies. Back before the internet, when they'd send catalogs out. I can't believe we ever lived like that.
    It seems like an eternity, but it really wasn't that long ago that I would have my paper Nashbar catalog open while I was on the phone with them checking stock and asking about sizing. I bought my very first helmet from them in the late 80's. It was a Bell V1 Pro. It weighed more than some framesets today

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I don't see that thread reflecting badly on Nashbar. They refunded the OPs money. He got to use the wheels for 20 months free of charge

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It seems like an eternity, but it really wasn't that long ago that I would have my paper Nashbar catalog open while I was on the phone with them checking stock and asking about sizing. I bought my very first helmet from them in the late 80's. It was a Bell V1 Pro. It weighed more than some framesets today
    I bought my first lighting system from them in 1992. I was giving winter bike commuting a try. It had two lamps that strapped onto the handlebars near the stem. Output must have been around 100 lumens apiece. And they never stayed in place. The battery was a lead/acid battery that strapped onto the top tube. It held a charge for maybe an hour and took 12 hours to recharge. I think I paid around $100 for it back then. It was awesome!

I ride on a MUT. Back then, nobody bike commuted at night. It's amazing how many folks do it now. And these LED lights with lithium batteries are so bright, that you have to cover the beam with your hand to avoid getting yelled at by oncoming cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't see that thread reflecting badly on Nashbar. They refunded the OPs money. He got to use the wheels for 20 months free of charge
    Two wheel sets that each failed from less than 2000 miles of riding. Who sells junk like that?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

a real member's member
    most all my tires come from nashbar.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Two wheel sets that each failed from less than 2000 miles of riding. Who sells junk like that?
    Performance. Most bike manufacturers.

Russian Troll Farmer
    FWIW, I used to buy a lot of things from them, but in recent years, their stock has become smaller, and the "house brand" stuff seems cheaper and crappier than it used to be. Also, Amazon.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't know what wheels are being referenced in the other thread, but I've seen the $100 Vuelta wheelsets on Nashbar, and if I got 2000 miles out of them, I'd consider it getting what I paid for.

That said, I've had good luck with Nashbar.
    ​Huzzah! I've figured out how to put something in the little box under my posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I bought stuff in the 1974 time frame, Suntour shifters and derailleurs, Sugino cranksets, etc. from Bikewarehouse, which then became Bike Nashbar. Here is some history
    Cozy Beehive: The Story of Bike Nashbar

Recently, had some bike parts I bought there over a year old, but unused. They took it back no problem for credit, which I used for other stuff later.
    They can have deals on decent stuff if you have a sharp eye for what you want. The good thing - if you change your mind after examining it, they will always allow you to return it, within a very liberal time frame. Unlike Amazon, which is usually 30 days, or EBay, which is in some cases, "good luck with that".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    You are assuming you have the whole story. Maybe so, but when I see stories like this, I always figure there is a lot being left out

That said my experience over the years has been positive. Last year I bought 2 long sleeve jerseys (House brand) that are as good if not better than any others I have owned. A lot of their inventory seems to be new old stock

Fecal indicator
    without Nashbar, where would people get generic, boring, baggy jerseys...?
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast