Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

nashbar warranty and ...customer shaming?

so..yeah...I don't use them much, but I've sent a training wheelset back to Nashbar.com twice for their "forever guarantee" or whatever they call it. Both sets blew out spokes and had deteriorating hub bearings within 10 months of purchase. Less than 2000 miles on both sets.
    Today I got a certified letter (cost them $6.59 to ship it USPS) from Nashbar stating they were closing my account and no longer selling to me because......I sent wheels back for them honor their warranty. I was polite. I was honest. I was never rude to anyone I contacted there.

I've never seen a company do that. any else had that odd experience?
    what a ridiculous policy and response.
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No, never heard of that, but I could see it happening if someone was abusing the policy, which it doesn't sound like you were doing BTW.

I sent Nashbar back a Cycleops Magnus trainer after a couple months of use because of problems with it - still in perfect cosmetic condition in the original package and they refunded with no issue.

I have friends that have what they call "Forever wheels" from Performance they bought many years ago and have had them replaced multiple times for free with no issue.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    I've never seen a company do that.
    Lots of companies drop people after "too many" returns. Which is never defined, but is likely some combination of frequency and total value.

Google shows many hits for amazon, best buy, gamestop, walmart, sephoria, home shopping network..... and then I stopped looking.

This is a normal business practice today, sad to say. More and more common, and drawing the line lower and lower over time.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    What about the warranty on the wheels? Dropping you as a customer for future purchases is bush league for sure but I think the bigger issue is are they backing out of the terms of what they already sold you?

Cranky Old Bastard
    Both sets blew out spokes and had deteriorating hub bearings within 10 months of purchase.
    Maybe they consider a new set every 10 months excessive. Did they offer to refund your money for the wheels?

I worked at Radio Shack in the late '80s when they had a lifetime warranty on their biggest, most expensive stereo speakers.
    We had one guy that liked his music realllllly loud and blew them out frequently. My manager rebuilt them about 4 times before he told the kid we couldn't fix them anymore.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    so..yeah...I don't use them much, but I've sent a training wheelset back to Nashbar.com twice for their "forever guarantee" or whatever they call it. Both sets blew out spokes and had deteriorating hub bearings within 10 months of purchase. Less than 2000 miles on both sets.
    Today I got a certified letter (cost them $6.59 to ship it USPS) from Nashbar stating they were closing my account and no longer selling to me because......I sent wheels back for them honor their warranty. I was polite. I was honest. I was never rude to anyone I contacted there.

Did you have other returns to Nashbar besides the wheels? I assume that have some algorithm that they use to detect people that are abusing the policy. If the wheels were legitimately bad that certainly seems unfair

RoadBikeReview Member

Yes, I have heard of this, but only when a customer is obviously abusing the definition of warranty. LL Bean has done this with customers who abused their lifetime returns when they do things like return a worn out shirt over 5 years old. Yes, people do this!

It sounds like your claims were totally legitimate and not the least bit abusive. In this case, I haven't heard of a company doing this. They don't want to do further business with you? Good riddance to them!

This being said, even if they honored this warranty over and over again, just the hassle of having to send back wheels every 2000 miles would have me tossing these in the trash and finding something else. Not to mention that Nashbar continues to sell this junk? Not a company worth doing any business with IMHO.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I will need to hear their side of the story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Then call them up and ask them.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    doubt he needs to hear it that desperately.

the letter sounds reasonable to me. i'm sure the op can still buy from them using his wife's name, etc... just procure future wheels elsewhere.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    still bitter?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    doubt he needs to hear it that desperately.
    My remark was directed at Factory Feel's off-the-cuff comment.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    the letter sounds reasonable to me. i'm sure the op can still buy from them using his wife's name, etc... just procure future wheels elsewhere.
    I wouldn't buy anything there.

-- Warren Buffett

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    The deteriorating bearings after only 2000 miles (and ten months) twice is a red flag to me as a mechanic. Why are the bearings getting chewed up so quickly? What kind of maintenance did they receive?
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Did you have other returns to Nashbar besides the wheels? I assume that have some algorithm that they use to detect people that are abusing the policy. If the wheels were legitimately bad that certainly seems unfair
    no, that was the only thing I've ever returned. Not a huge customer of theirs honestly. the wheels were terrible...
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    What were the make/model of the wheels, out of curiosity?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    The deteriorating bearings after only 2000 miles (and ten months) twice is a red flag to me as a mechanic. Why are the bearings getting chewed up so quickly? What kind of maintenance did they receive?
    sealed bearings? what sort of maintenance should they receive? I cleaned them every few weeks/months, depending on use. It does rain here. I do ride in the rain sometimes..the warranty said nothing about rain. should 2 spokes brakes with less than 2200 miles? should I have maintained those?
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    What were the make/model of the wheels, out of curiosity?
    craptastic. Vuelta Corsa Lites I believe. I knew they were budget wheels. that was the point. but shouldn't the warranty maybe exclude that if they're not going to honor it?
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    what story? I've maybe purchased 5 items from them in a decade. They sold me a wheelset. They claim to have some magical forever warranty. They sent me a letter not honoring that warranty and dropping me as a custom. They're supposedly refunding me via check...although I haven't seen the check yet.
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, I have heard of this, but only when a customer is obviously abusing the definition of warranty. LL Bean has done this with customers who abused their lifetime returns when they do things like return a worn out shirt over 5 years old. Yes, people do this!

It sounds like your claims were totally legitimate and not the least bit abusive. In this case, I haven't heard of a company doing this. They don't want to do further business with you? Good riddance to them!

This being said, even if they honored this warranty over and over again, just the hassle of having to send back wheels every 2000 miles would have me tossing these in the trash and finding something else. Not to mention that Nashbar continues to sell this junk? Not a company worth doing any business with IMHO.
    agreed. I was moving on after this set anyway with a local purchase. just odd...I"m hardly upset about it.
    Not banned yet.

a real member's member
    I wouldn't buy anything there.
    i do. tires mostly.

My remark was directed at Factory Feel's off-the-cuff comment.
    oh. should i also say, "my remark was directed at the op"?

nah, that would be dooshy.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    agreed. I was moving on after this set anyway with a local purchase. just odd...I"m hardly upset about it.
    I generally try to buy from my LBS. Since I am a frequent customer, they always give me good prices. I know they can't sell for what online places sell for and am willing to pay a little more as they have given me advice and services for free that I would have to pay for anywhere else. When they don't have or can't get what I want, only then I will resort to online. There are only a few online vendor's I will buy bike stuff from. Jensenusa is one. Their prices are good, but don't scream of too-good-to-be-true. Another one is Abaxo on eBay which has good prices, a good reputation and great customer service. Bikewagon and Art's Cyclery are also vendors I trust.

craptastic. Vuelta Corsa Lites I believe. I knew they were budget wheels. that was the point. but shouldn't the warranty maybe exclude that if they're not going to honor it?
    You would think. As I said before, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Light, strong, cheap, pick two. Cheap (as in inexpensive) doesn't necessarily mean bad. Wheels can be inexpensive because they are lead weights. If it's just a training set, you only need durable and cheap, you don't need light. It looks like you got light and cheap, but not durable.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    what story? I've maybe purchased 5 items from them in a decade. They sold me a wheelset. They claim to have some magical forever warranty. They sent me a letter not honoring that warranty and dropping me as a custom. They're supposedly refunding me via check...although I haven't seen the check yet.
    Hate to extend this but now I'm confused.

In your OP you didn't state that they refused to honor the warranty on the 2nd return, only that they were "closing my account and no longer selling to me". Then in your post early this morning you state "They sent me a letter not honoring that warranty"

Did they not honor the warranty the 2nd time ?.

If not, that would be fraud and would be an issue I'd take up with the credit card company.

SB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Hate to extend this but now I'm confused.

In your OP you didn't state that they refused to honor the warranty on the 2nd return, only that they were "closing my account and no longer selling to me". Then in your post early this morning you state "They sent me a letter not honoring that warranty"

Did they not honor the warranty the 2nd time ?.

If not, that would be fraud and would be an issue I'd take up with the credit card company.

SB
    they're basically cashing me out the 2nd go around on the warranty and won't do an exchange. I haven't seen it yet, but customer service is telling me there's a check in the mail. I would have assumed a CC refund, so I"m not sure what the check is about. on top of that the letter states they are closing my account (which is a meaningless response) with instructions to use an LBS (from a business standpoint is a terrible response)...the whole thing is odd.
    Not banned yet.

gazing from the shadows
    ...so I"m not sure what the check is about. ...
    CC is instant, checks take a LONG time to process. It's about them getting 2 more months interest on your money. 6-8 weeks, right?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    CC is instant, checks take a LONG time to process. It's about them getting 2 more months interest on your money. 6-8 weeks, right?
    It's more about cash flow than interest. I mean what is interest in a liquid account these days, around 0.01%?

-- Warren Buffett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast