Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012

National Ride your Bike to Work Day 5/17

I live 20 miles from work, so daily commutes are not possible as I have to wear a suit and there is no shower at my office. However, this Friday is National Ride to Work Day. WE have casual Fridays so Was thinking about getting an early start and riding. Anyone else have a long trip like that and going to ride this Friday to work?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Where are you located?

Its a pretty big deal in the DC area. I used to avoid it because of all the idiots who clogged up the bike path for their annual ride to work. Over the last few years, I've come to embrace it. Maybe I'm getting old and soft. I even got my first t-shirt last year.

I've been riding from Vienna to DC for over 20 years. It's a 17 mile ride each way. You can ride 20 miles each way on Friday. I wear a suit and tie at work every day, but I have a shower and place in my office to keep clothes. You should bring some clothes in tomorrow and ride in on Friday. It's not going to be hot out in the AM. Take a shower before you leave, and wear clean shorts and jersey. Maybe have some wipes and a towel at work. You can always wet your hair in the bathroom. Perhaps you'll like it so much that you decide to do it every Friday this summer. It sure beats the hell out of taking the train or driving. At least in this rat race.

There's a guy here on this board who rides to work everyday and doesn't have a shower available. It can be done.

fu
    My office is 4 miles from my house and I'm planning to ride to work on Friday.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

Dr. Buzz Killington
    I'm debating it. Work is only 11 miles away, but I have to be at work by 6AM and won't leave until 645PM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaXbe View Post
    I live 20 miles from work, so daily commutes are not possible as I have to wear a suit and there is no shower at my office. However, this Friday is National Ride to Work Day. WE have casual Fridays so Was thinking about getting an early start and riding. Anyone else have a long trip like that and going to ride this Friday to work?
    I don't understand. What does a shower have to do with the type of clothing you wear? If you can ride to work on casual dress day, you can ride to work on suit day. I assume you'd do some sort of bathroom wash up either way. Or are you saying a suit can only go onto a showered body, and casual clothes can go on a dirty body?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I don't understand. What does a shower have to do with the type of clothing you wear? If you can ride to work on casual dress day, you can ride to work on suit day. I assume you'd do some sort of bathroom wash up either way. Or are you saying a suit can only go onto a showered body, and casual clothes can go on a dirty body?
    You evidently work in a gas station

Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012
    I would bring some sort of method to clean up. I live in Oklahoma. Humidity is high this time of year. It will be cool, about 60's or 70's at that time so I don't think it will be too bad. My other delimma is where to store my bike as I work at a Bank and we don't really have a place. Just really thinking out loud here. Wanting to see what others do as riding to work would be a great weekly thing.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    ... Day 1 of the Greenbrier River Trail Bike Trek for me
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...ocation=stream

....I would like to incorporate commuting to work by bike also (on Fridays)... as I have a 26 mile commute... so I would like to drive half way and bike the rest....
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012
    tednugent:

That is a good idea. Is your one way 26 miles or round trip 26 miles? I have aperfect place to park half-way. Thanks for the IDEA!!!!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I would bring some sort of method to clean up. I live in Oklahoma. Humidity is high this time of year. It will be cool, about 60's or 70's at that time so I don't think it will be too bad. My other delimma is where to store my bike as I work at a Bank and we don't really have a place. Just really thinking out loud here. Wanting to see what others do as riding to work would be a great weekly thing.
    Can you lock it up outside somewhere? Ideally in a place where you can see it? Would your boss let you bring it inside? If its a high rise situation with a parking garage -- a lot of those have places to lock up bikes.

Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012
    Actually we are pretty rural. I live in a small town (1,200 population) and commute to A larger town (30,000 population). We are located at the edge of town so just an outdoor parking lot. We do have a large supply closet upstairs, so I can probably just put it in there. Now I am ready for Friday to get here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I have an upright bike and the commute is only 3 or so miles so I can go really slow (so as not to sweat) and just wear the suite on the ride. Probably not an option for 20 miles in Oklahoma humidity though.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    You evidently work in a gas station
    Nope. Work in an office. Wear office attire. Have a 17mi commute. And prep my body afterwards the same whether I'm wearing a suit, or jeans and a T shirt. Personally, I wouldn't want B.O. either way so don't see the bearing clothes have on it.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    tednugent:

That is a good idea. Is your one way 26 miles or round trip 26 miles? I have aperfect place to park half-way. Thanks for the IDEA!!!!
    It's 26 miles one way.... with crazy climbs in the first 10 miles.....
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Wow, I guess my calendar is really screwed up. I thought the date was June 26th.

DEK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I would love to ride my bike to work but I live in Florida...

Florida Cities Rated Worst for Bicyclists and Pedestrians

Sluggo
    Quote Originally Posted by DEK View Post
    I would love to ride my bike to work but I live in Florida...
    So do I. I rode in today to the heart of number 3 on the list, Jacksonville. It can be done.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxattax View Post
    So do I. I rode in today to the heart of number 3 on the list, Jacksonville. It can be done.
    I despised cycling in Jacksonville. Mayport Rd by the NEX was the worst. Drivers would see me coming, but they'd still pull out in front of me too late.

Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012
    tlg:

I agree, wouldn't want the BO either, so the reason for my question for those who do it. I am not a sweater so even after my 15 mile morning ride I usually have not perspired much. The first ten miles of my ride will be some pretty good hills and then the last ten will be hills but not near the difficulty. I talked to our HR department and they are going to make this part of our bank wide wellness program.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some people do have awful BO.. I am not saying that "wannXbe" is stinky.. ok.

Seriously.. I have co-worker here who goes out for lunch time and for an hour walk daily. My goodness sake, she.. well actually there 2 are women.. they stinks so badly. And one of them sits by the IT room doorway. So that's the aroma that hits people, the minute you step inside the room. And our company does not have showers.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Last edited by cmtbiz; 05-15-2013 at 12:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Hey WannaXbe, I will pass you heading North. I will give the Harley Biker wave on the way by!

Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012
    bhillin, it will seen kind of funny going opposite directions rather than our usual early morning ride.

wut?
    I commute 4-5 days per week with 36 miles round trip. I work in an engineering office and am not required to wear a suit. We have showers, and a storage room for bikes. Today it was 61 degrees F when I left to ride into work. Life is good.

I have Friday off so I won't be riding to work that day. Life gets better...
    Ride lots!
    Eddy Merckx

Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012
    One day left. Wish I could have rode today but we were blessed with rain so won't complain too much.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    One day left. Wish I could have rode today but we were blessed with rain so won't complain too much.
    At least the rain came today instead of tomorrow.

Good luck with your commute. Its something that I've really come to enjoy over the years. Probably the most productive thing I've accomplished at work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast