Thread: Neck pain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Neck pain

i started riding in May, and yesterday i did 50 miles as part of an event. i survived the ride, but when i got home- my neck was really tight giving me a crazy headache. Is the neck pain because I'm not conditioned for 50 miles or my position on the bike? i normally do 25-30 miles on a ride..so 50 was almost double what i normally would...just looking for thoughts or ideas so it doesnt happen again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    could be both.

I'd look at a few things before insinuating the proper cause though, First off, would be to have your bike fitted, Retul is supposed to be the best out there. Its expensive, but I hear its worth the money.

Or, you could tinker on the bike yourself, and try to see what it causing the pain... see, positioning is the number one thing that could negatively affect your comfort, stem length, angle, seatpost height, handlebar angle, the location of your brake hoods.... these all play a part. So, if you in fact are carrying too much of your weight up front, your upperbody is overworking some muscles, and a fit would deduce this, and grant you the ability to make an educated guess on what changes have to be made.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    one mistake that some beginning cyclists make is that they put too much pressure on their hands. then they let their shoulders relax which pushes them up towards their ears. this will cause the issues you describe. Concentrate on keeping your shoulders downand forward

Darling of The Lounge
    I believe you might be right on both counts. Pushing yourself more miles than normal along with position on the bike. Are you using traditional drop bars? If so, where are your hands the majority of the time?

My advice is to start experimenting with stem height in terms of raising it a little. Also start working on longer rides to a point where 50 miles becomes more routine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    You just need to ride more. If you double your mileage in one slug you think something isn't going to hurt??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    You just need to ride more. If you double your mileage in one slug you think something isn't going to hurt??
    no, i was expecting to be hurting..just not in the neck area. my legs were sore too...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by djcastagna View Post
    no, i was expecting to be hurting..just not in the neck area. my legs were sore too...
    Yep, very typical place for discomfort when increasing mileage. I know an amazingly fit guy who had to drop out of the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 km randonneur ride when he could no longer hold up his head. There are muscle building exercises that you can do if neck pain or fatigue is a limiting factor for improvement, but generally, just try for sensible increments in your riding program.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Here is something to consider. I notice in a picture of myself that I was hunched over and my head and neck were extended.

Google, extended neck bad posture, to see what I mean.

I even notice that when I rode, I was pushing my head and neck forward. I have focused on my posture and sitting and standing straighter with my head and neck not extended. I have noticed that my neck pain is much better since I started working simply on my posture.