RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Need advice! 1997 GT ZR-1000 vs. 2010 Trek 1.1

Went to the LBS tonight to buy a Trek 1.1 (looking to buy my first road bike, and on a TIGHT budget -- craigslist by me doesn't have any options, and there's no used bike stores by me), and ended up talking to one of the managers, who happened to be selling his old 1997 GT ZR-1000 -- all Ultegra components, between 5000-8000 miles ridden, 19.5 lbs with everything on, and the biggest chainring will need to be replaced soon -- offered it to me for $350, knowing I was a student on a really tight budget.

The Trek is $600 plus tax, comes with free tuneups for life from the LBS and all the trek/shimano warranties, shimano 2300 components, and weighs 23.5 lbs. The GT is obviously buyer beware -- to be sold final and as is (he's going to get the mechanics to tune it up, and that's it)

I rode both on the trainer there, they both fit me well, the Trek with a more relaxed angle, the GT with a racing geometry. Trek 1.1 is obviously brand new, shifts nicely and runs silently. GT chain runs OK, needs a tuneup, and the components are definitely "worn in". I spoke to the mechanic there who looked at it -- said that it's definitely a worn in bike, but is in pretty decent shape, and that the 13 year old ultegra components might actually outlast the new 2300 components.

I'm not looking to get into super hi-tech road racing -- I'm buying a bike to get in shape, and use for sprint and olympic length triathlons.

To summarize:

2010 Trek 1.1:
    2300 shimano components
    23.5 lbs
    Aluminum frame and fork
    Brand new, free tuneups for life from LBS
    $600 plus tax

1997 GT ZR-1000:
    Ultegra components
    19.5 lbs
    Aluminum frame, carbon fork
    5000-8000 miles ridden
    Chainring needs to be replaced soon
    Bike is DEFINITELY "worn in", needs tuneup
    $350 firm

What should I get?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Only reason I'd get the GT is if I was lusting for the ZR frames in general. But practicality-wise, you might want that Trek.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

edit

Turns out the GT is not a 1997, but rather a 2000 year model.

Looks something like this:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...1000&Type=bike

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I have four bikes. The last two I purchased were second-hand from the late 90s. I've been very pleased both with the the bikes, and with the cost. One was a mix of 9-speed Ultegra and Dura-Ace. It's a sweet drivetrain.

Eight-thousand miles is nothing. Needs a tune-up is nothing. Although I question the mileage with it needing a big ring in only 8,000 miles. The earliest I've worm out a chainring (middle on a road triple) was 10,000 miles on my commuting bike that gets ridden all year through snow, rain and whatever Mom Nature and the DPW have to offer.

The big cost thing are the shifters. If they feel sloppy--and they shouldn't with that kind of mileage, I'd walk away. Otherwise, I'd go with the GT.

The entry-level Treks are nice bikes--I own one, but IMHO 10-year-old Ultegra trumps new 2300. I just don't like those shifters. Personal preference--I replaced the shifters on mine.

pedalpedalpedal
    Lighter, cheaper, and obviously has held up well = better buy.

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    I'd pass on both and keep looking. If the GT really only has 8000 miles then it would not need new chainrings....it probably has more like 20K+ miles on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mimason
    I'd pass on both and keep looking. If the GT really only has 8000 miles then it would not need new chainrings....it probably has more like 20K+ miles on it.
    good point

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    The ultegra shifters on the GT were not sharp by any means -- lots of noise, not exact.

The 2300 shifters on the Trek were VERY sharp (as you'd expect on a new bike) -- precise shifting, silent drivetrain.

I'm not sure if the GT noise/inaccuracy is a result of the bike not being tuned when I rode it or if the components are on the way out.

The mechanic said the shifters weren't in the best condition, but that they were definitely functional.

I'm going back there this afternoon to make a final decision, any last bits of advice?

Thanks everyone!

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you really need a bike NOW and are on a TIGHT budget, then for $350, I think it's a decent buy. Both are aluminum frames so the ride will be a little "bumpier" than a steel, ti, or carbon bike. But at least the GT has the carbon fork going for it that will dampen the road a tad bit.

The money you save you can use for other items you might need.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Id take the Gt because frame is better, and better looking. If comparing tuneup to same amaount as for the trek, I´d bet you end up with much better bike !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    should there be any concern with the frame being aluminum, 10 years old, and 8k miles on it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    if you're thinking of getting a $600 new bike, why not try to find a nice used bike for that... you should be able to get a decent bike, with 105/ultegra, used for around 600 and not a ton of miles on it... that'd be my advice... ebay has tons of deals and is worth checking out...
    2010 Caad9
    2009 Custom Ted Wojcik Rennsport