Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Need help fast!

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55

    Need help fast!

    Hi Folks,
    Can you help an old man? Going on 72 and about to buy my first (and last) road bike. I'm new to biking and not sure if this is a good idea or not. Performance Bikes has a sale on the following:
    2016 Kestrel RT1000 flat bar carbon road bike Sham.105, tektro brakes,
    $1350.00
    2016 Kestrel RT1000 flat bar carbon, Ultegra, $1700.00
    It's brand new in a box, I'm told.

    What do you think? I'm not familiar with the store or the bikes. Any thoughts would be welcome. I have to decide by Friday morning.
    Thank you in advance for your wisdom.
    Jazzchip

  2. #2
    Road Warrior
    Reputation: n2deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    623
    First, I’m not familiar with the bikes or the bike store so no comments there. However,, save yourself a lot of time and trouble by going to a reputable local bike store, tell them what you’re looking for/type of bike/purpose/history and find a bike that matches your purposes and have the bike adjusted to fit your physical characteristics.. You’ll be a lot happier and save money in the long run..

    See if you can find a local bike cub and ask them for store recommendations

  3. #3
    Jno
    Jno is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    17
    I was in a similar situation. I saw a bike that seemed to me to be a good deal (well-reviewed, well-equipped, good price) and I felt pressure to buy it. Luckily, I missed the chance, because I have since learned that some bikes suit a person and their intended use better than others. The balance between comfort and power transfer, the gearing, even the aesthetics of a bike matter. Test ride the Kestrel and compare it to some other bike so you begin to see if you like it. And my advice is, don’t rush the decision for Friday; bike “deals” come and go surprisingly often.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,710
    What type of riding do you want to do?

    If I could make some assumptions based on your age and beginner status, carbon won't bring anything to the table for you so why pay so much for a flat bar road bike? And I don't know how much room for bigger tires those bikes have but based on pictures I could find it may not be enough room for the size you might be best served with.

    "I have to decide by Friday morning"

    Those are never good circumstance to purchase anything. I'd tell 'em to shove that and move on to other choices.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    4
    It's going to come down to the #1 priority: Comfort. Any bike that is in the least bit uncomfortable won't be ridden, at least not for the long term. Consider an upright riding position - looks like you already have with the flat bar model. Make sure the bars and stem can adjust to your optimum comfort level. Consider the terrain you'll be riding, and customize gearing, if necessary.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Matador-IV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    289
    I would suggest looking for Hyd disk brakes also. Performance has the following.....


    Fuji Gran Fondo Forza 1.1 - $1500.00

    Fuji Absolute 1.1 Disc Flat Bar Road Bike - 2018 - $1000.00

    Marin Fairfax SC4 City Bike - 2017 - $600.00

    I believe all have Shimano 105

    For your 1st bike, I'd consider a lower price point than the bikes your looking at.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedude View Post
    It's going to come down to the #1 priority: Comfort. Any bike that is in the least bit uncomfortable won't be ridden, at least not for the long term.
    This!

    Also, don't be pressured into a "must decide by --- for this terrific deal". Pressure sales don't usually end well for the consumer. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

    Performance Bikes is a big chain bike store. You will never get the kind of personal service you will get at a local bike shop which will include a detailed fit where they will put you and your new bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make adjustments to dial in your fit just right.

    My advice? Shop for your bike store first - that is visit some shops and see what kind of vibe you get. Ask at a local bike club which shops are best and which you should avoid. Look at online reviews of shops.

    Regardless of what bike you get, it must fit well. Even if the bike checks all the other boxes of what you like, if it doesn't fit, it will hurt and you will stop riding it.

    Also consider that most shops will give you free lifetime adjustments if you bought the bike from them. They will charge you if you bring in an outside bike. That will more than negate any "sweet deal" you got on the initial purchase.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mrcookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    326
    even if the performance sale ends friday, there will be another one next week, or the week after. generally speaking once their bikes drop in price that's where the price tends to stay, and they will continue to show how much savings it is over it's "original" price (and it was probably never sold at that price in the first place).

    maybe it's the perfect bike for you, but i'm with everyone else, don't be time pressured into a purchase. that's a recipe for buyers remorse (although performance would likely take it back for a while anyway).
    Cook

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    Good advice. thanks.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    I appreciate the advice. thanks.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    Thank you for the advice.
    [QUOTE=Lombard;5208837]This!

    Also, don't be pressured into a "must decide by --- for this terrific deal". Pressure sales don't usually end well for the consumer. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matador-IV View Post
    I would suggest looking for Hyd disk brakes also. Performance has the following.....


    Fuji Gran Fondo Forza 1.1 - $1500.00

    Fuji Absolute 1.1 Disc Flat Bar Road Bike - 2018 - $1000.00

    Marin Fairfax SC4 City Bike - 2017 - $600.00

    I believe all have Shimano 105

    For your 1st bike, I'd consider a lower price point than the bikes your looking at.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jno View Post
    I was in a similar situation. I saw a bike that seemed to me to be a good deal (well-reviewed, well-equipped, good price) and I felt pressure to buy it. Luckily, I missed the chance, because I have since learned that some bikes suit a person and their intended use better than others. The balance between comfort and power transfer, the gearing, even the aesthetics of a bike matter. Test ride the Kestrel and compare it to some other bike so you begin to see if you like it. And my advice is, don’t rush the decision for Friday; bike “deals” come and go surprisingly often.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    okay. thanks for the advice.

  15. #15
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzchip View Post
    Hi Folks,
    ...... I'm new to biking and not sure if this is a good idea or not. Performance Bikes has a sale on the following:
    .............What do you think? I'm not familiar with the store or the bikes. Any thoughts would be welcome. I have to decide by Friday morning.
    Thank you in advance for your wisdom.
    Jazzchip
    So, since you are new to biking, and one would assume you have no earthly idea how to FIT a bike, you're going to blindly drop 2 grand on something you have no idea how good it is, whether it fits your needs, or even if it fits your body? Wow, you've got some faith in remote marketing there!

    I assume that there isn't a SINGLE bike shop within 1000 miles of where you live?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    thank you for your comments.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    I appreciate the advice.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    thank you very much for your comments.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    thank you for your comments.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,456
    I have two pieces of advice that might help simplify things.

    1) Focus on a couple of big brands. Both Trek and Giant have some great bikes at that pricepoint and lower that should easily suit your needs.

    2) Focus on big bike shops. They have multiple bikes, brands, and fit tools to help you get out the door with something you are excited about.

    Off of the top of my head, I would take a look at the Trek Domane AL line and Trek Domane carbon line. Everyone I have heard of that owns one loves those bikes. Same with the Giant Defy and Contend lines.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    Wonderful advice. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I have two pieces of advice that might help simplify things.

    1) Focus on a couple of big brands. Both Trek and Giant have some great bikes at that pricepoint and lower that should easily suit your needs.

    2) Focus on big bike shops. They have multiple bikes, brands, and fit tools to help you get out the door with something you are excited about.

    Off of the top of my head, I would take a look at the Trek Domane AL line and Trek Domane carbon line. Everyone I have heard of that owns one loves those bikes. Same with the Giant Defy and Contend lines.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    thank you for the comments. Much appreciated.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,578
    Further comment I have is that I notice the two bikes you were looking at are flat bar mods on road bikes. Which leads me to believe that you are looking for a road bike, but one with a more upright riding position.

    Many beginners are intimidated by road bars because they see so many that are a very low riding position. However, endurance road bikes like those mentioned by Rashadabd have a more upright riding position. I have neck issues and can't ride low, but can ride an endurance road bike. Further more, you can always change out the stem to a more upright one and tilt the bars up slightly (don't do this too much or you might cause wrist strain).

    Also, you might want to look at some of the newer line of bikes in the gravel/adventure category if you think you may be going off-road or even if your roads are really bad in your area. I have hardly used any of my road bikes since I got my gravel bike - yes, I love it that much! Wider tires and steel frame are comfort heaven. And honestly, it is not noticeable slower than my road bikes! Not to mention that gravel/adventure bikes are generally even more upright than endurance road bikes.

    Another thing is don't be too brand specific. There are many good brands - Cannondale, Giant, GT, Jamis, Trek and Specialized just to name a few. All of these brands range in price based on frame material and quality of components used. The bikes themselves (the frames) are generally of equally good quality. Customer support varies if you do have a problem - which your shop will generally handle if you buy from them. Another reason to buy local.

    Also, while I realize that carbon seems to be the "material de jour" right now, don't be too rigid on frame material. Frame geometry and tubing shapes can make a bigger difference in ride quality than frame material itself.

    Test ride lots of bikes first to get an idea of what you like. See what "wows" you and what makes you go "meh". You may be surprised.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    Your comments are wonderful. Being new, I don't have any loyalty to brand. I've tried to find reviews in mags or websites. I would prefer a more upright position and really want to use the bike on longer rides which is why Endurance bikes appeal to me.
    Thanks again for all the wisdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Further comment I have is that I notice the two bikes you were looking at are flat bar mods on road bikes. Which leads me to believe that you are looking for a road bike, but one with a more upright riding position.

    Many beginners are intimidated by road bars because they see so many that are a very low riding position. However, endurance road bikes like those mentioned by Rashadabd have a more upright riding position. I have neck issues and can't ride low, but can ride an endurance road bike. Further more, you can always change out the stem to a more upright one and tilt the bars up slightly (don't do this too much or you might cause wrist strain).

    Also, you might want to look at some of the newer line of bikes in the gravel/adventure category if you think you may be going off-road or even if your roads are really bad in your area. I have hardly used any of my road bikes since I got my gravel bike - yes, I love it that much! Wider tires and steel frame are comfort heaven. And honestly, it is not noticeable slower than my road bikes! Not to mention that gravel/adventure bikes are generally even more upright than endurance road bikes.

    Another thing is don't be too brand specific. There are many good brands - Cannondale, Giant, GT, Jamis, Trek and Specialized just to name a few. All of these brands range in price based on frame material and quality of components used. The bikes themselves (the frames) are generally of equally good quality. Customer support varies if you do have a problem - which your shop will generally handle if you buy from them. Another reason to buy local.

    Also, while I realize that carbon seems to be the "material de jour" right now, don't be too rigid on frame material. Frame geometry and tubing shapes can make a bigger difference in ride quality than frame material itself.

    Test ride lots of bikes first to get an idea of what you like. See what "wows" you and what makes you go "meh". You may be surprised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How fast is too fast
    By fassa b in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 05:03 PM
  2. How Fast is Your Fast?
    By bikerbert in forum Northern California
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 08:55 PM
  3. Fast on/ fast off trunk bag advice
    By slowmo1 in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 06:47 PM
  4. how fast is to fast ?!?!?!?
    By whitebassbenny in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 02:48 PM
  5. Fitchburg - Cat4s Fill-up fast, how fast?
    By sherpa in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 06:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.