Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    That Element is nice. Do you have to have a smart phone to link to, to get it to work all features?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Definitely need a smart phone to set it up - it doesn't need to be connected to use it though. The only features you would lose if the phone isn't connected during a ride would be SMS and Phone notifications, and the Live Track feature - everything else works fine without the bluetooth connection.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I never care what gear number i'm in. I mostly judge the gear based on how my cadence feels to me. Otherwise its just a number and meaningless. Occasionally I'll try to climb in a hard gear and only then do I determine the gear I'm in. As far as features you say you don't need, there's a tendency for feature creep over time and since you seem to like the gadgets, garmin 1000, di2 etc maybe you already have a heart monitor you might find in a year or two you want to play around with a power meter.

I hear you on the glasses. I'm 52 and on bifocal contacts. I went with the 810 a few years ago over the smaller 510 for the bigger screen. It's mostly served me well over the last three years. Actually it seems to be behaving better now then when I first got it. Either the firmware has improved or I'm not doing dumb things with it anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just switched from a Garmin 500 to an Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT. I love this thing. My eyes are fading too (48-years-old) and, despite the BOLT's compact size, the screen is very (!) easy to read.

I really like being able have only a couple data points, e.g. Power, HR taking up the entire screen, then tapping the button and rest of data points come in - in the order of your preference. So, you can ride with 2, 5, 9... whatever you want. Changing that on the fly is simple and doesn't even require looking - the Up and Down buttons are the only buttons on the right side.

The Live Track isn't as good as Garmin's, but having seen how fast Wahoo responds to customer "needs", I wouldn't be surprised to see their Live Track get much better, soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I just switched from a Garmin 500 to an Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT. I love this thing. My eyes are fading too (48-years-old) and, despite the BOLT's compact size, the screen is very (!) easy to read.

I really like being able have only a couple data points, e.g. Power, HR taking up the entire screen, then tapping the button and rest of data points come in - in the order of your preference. So, you can ride with 2, 5, 9... whatever you want. Changing that on the fly is simple and doesn't even require looking - the Up and Down buttons are the only buttons on the right side.

The Live Track isn't as good as Garmin's, but having seen how fast Wahoo responds to customer "needs", I wouldn't be surprised to see their Live Track get much better, soon.
    Unless I am missing something Garmin does the same thing regarding data points. I customized my screen to show me only three items, unless the 810 does it and the 500 does not

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    Unless I am missing something Garmin does the same thing regarding data points. I customized my screen to show me only three items, unless the 810 does it and the 500 does not
    It could be me that's missing something - not knowing how the Garmins have evolved.

But with my old Garmin, I could customize pages. These pages could have whatever data fields I wanted - one page might have 3 fields, another page might have 8 fields, etc. Then, I could press the "Page" button and toggle from page to page.

All of ^that^ is on the ELEMNT and BOLT, e.g. the multiple custom screens - and there's a "Page" button too. But, where they're different (at least from my old Garmin) is that with each page, you can press the Up and Down buttons and that specific page will show more or fewer data points.

For example. I have a page set up with the following: Watts, HR, Cadence, Avg. Watts, Distance, MPH, Time. That's one page. But, when riding, I may decide to toggle down to only two (BIG) data points displayed, e.g. Watts and HR.

When I read about that feature, my first thought was "meh, probably won't use that". Nope, it's become one my favorite features about the BOLT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    That Element is nice. Do you have to have a smart phone to link to, to get it to work all features?

Yes I have an Android. I have ridden with my phone as my GPS and it does suck the life outta the battery very fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Ok I am now leaning towards the Bolt. But there has not been a lot discussed about its actual functioning as a GPS to help you follow a route uploaded from Strava or Ride with GPS, and maybe even more helpful, to help you find your way back to your start point...
    Also is the map as easy to read as those big lettering? WOndering how well I will be able to see it without my reading glasses... (which are only a 1.5x)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gzim View Post
    Ok I am now leaning towards the Bolt. But there has not been a lot discussed about its actual functioning as a GPS to help you follow a route uploaded from Strava or Ride with GPS, and maybe even more helpful, to help you find your way back to your start point...
    Also is the map as easy to read as those big lettering? WOndering how well I will be able to see it without my reading glasses... (which are only a 1.5x)
    garmin is still the dominant player. its only natural with more garmins around than any other unit it should have the most complaints. bottom line is if garmin wasn't putting out a good product people wouldn't buy it. my 810 has served me reasonably well for three years now and i'm not sure another unit would have worked well based on the issues that have come up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    garmin is still the dominant player. its only natural with more garmins around than any other unit it should have the most complaints. bottom line is if garmin wasn't putting out a good product people wouldn't buy it. my 810 has served me reasonably well for three years now and i'm not sure another unit would have worked well based on the issues that have come up.
    Yep, I still have my 500 bought in Sept 2012 and it still works great. They aren't perfect when they hit the market but not any worse than any other bike computer and they definitely support them with updates. I've got 3 of them now (500,510,820) and happy with all of them for reliability and performance. Features are the only thing that separate them.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Yep, I still have my 500 bought in Sept 2012 and it still works great. They aren't perfect when they hit the market but not any worse than any other bike computer and they definitely support them with updates. I've got 3 of them now (500,510,820) and happy with all of them for reliability and performance. Features are the only thing that separate them.
    My experience has been the opposite.

I've owned, going back years, a Garmin 500, 510, 820 and 1000. All were either tossed, or given away (the Edge 1000 went to a 'friend' whose wife wanted him to have the Live Tracking feature, the others went in the trash).

They all more or less worked, most of the time. Not always, and sometimes in ways that made me want to kick a puppy.

I was never happy with the pace of the updates. It seemed like I was always waiting for an update to fix some issue, and it never came. If you wanted new features, you generally had to buy new hardware.

For me, the worst part was dealing with support. They were always trying to push you off on the user community (forums) to find out how others were dealing with similar issues (usually involved a therapist). Tickets would sit idle for months, and often get close with no response at all.

I jumped on the original Elemnt early on. It had some minor hiccups along the way (sensor dropouts mainly), but support was always fantastic, and even offered a warranty replacement after the warranty had expired (turned out the next firmware update resolved my issue). For the last year or so it has worked flawlessly. I've been very happy with it. It's nice to have a piece of tech that actually does what it's supposed to to, every single time, without having to futz around with it. It's not perfect - could be a little lighter, and depending on how it's mounted, the side buttons can be a little difficult to get to. Wahoo was putting out firmware updates fairly quickly when there were issues, and released new features at a fairly decent pace.

I only decided to get the Bolt because I like shiny new things, and it had almost all of the improvements I wanted (slightly smaller, lighter, better buttons, and a louder beep). I would have been happy to have kept my original Elemnt as well. It's now in the hands of a frequent riding partner - with both of us using them, we can use the location feature to meet up for rides. It's really handy.

The only real feature I'm waiting impatiently for is the improvement of the Live Track data website.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I have had an 810 for the last three years. It quit following routes last fall. In 20,000ish miles of riding plus a bunch of time on the trainer, I think I lost data on two rides.

I was seriously considering buying a bolt. But, I bought an 820 yesterday. I had enough REI money back to pay for the entire bolt or most of the 820.

I went with the 820 b/c of connect IQ and the xert data fields of MPA, recovery time, and 500 w time to exhaustion. It is the closest thing I have seen to live W' and recovery info.

If you don't ride and train with power, those data fields are worthless. But, I saw them as worth spending additional money.

The 820 is smaller than I thought it would be. It is a bit smaller than the 810 on the same mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I believe the Leynze runs off your phone for Navigation, so limited by your phone battery life if that's a feature you plant to use. The 520, and 820 Garmins will show you gear also, much less expensive than the 1000. Arts has the 520 on sale $50 off, but others will have sales on either of those Garmins this Spring if you aren't in a rush. Wahoo sales are few and far between, no discounting really for them. I have the Garmin 820, and it works great. Also 60 years old and no issues reading the numbers, and I do use readers from time to time for close up work on my bike.
    Lezyne does have built in GPS

Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - GPS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by georgewerr View Post
    Lezyne does have built in GPS

Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - GPS
    Yes, but the maps and Navigation is powered by your phone, correct?

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    I went with the 820 b/c of connect IQ and the xert data fields of MPA, recovery time, and 500 w time to exhaustion. It is the closest thing I have seen to live W' and recovery info.
    You will like the IQ, there's some great power apps and others, I use one that has live % W' expended - it's one of the features that is really innovative separating Garmin from the rest of th field IMHO.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Hi,
    i'm trying to figure out if Garmin 520 or the new Wahoo Bolt is better..

i bought a wahoo bolt for 239 and amazon had a one day deal for the Garmin 520 for only 179.

Since this will be my first bike gps, i'm not sure what i want and what i need..
    is the Garmin for 179 bucks a no brainer? He's a few years out now, so he should be stable and very reliable?
    Are the Features the wahoo has worth the Money? Is the Wahoo stable? any issues so far?
    Many thanks!
    Mike

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Hi,
    i'm trying to figure out if Garmin 520 or the new Wahoo Bolt is better..

i bought a wahoo bolt for 239 and amazon had a one day deal for the Garmin 520 for only 179.

Since this will be my first bike gps, i'm not sure what i want and what i need..
    is the Garmin for 179 bucks a no brainer? He's a few years out now, so he should be stable and very reliable?
    Are the Features the wahoo has worth the Money? Is the Wahoo stable? any issues so far?
    Many thanks!
    Mike
    DC Rainmaker site will give you very detailed info on the features, you may want to check it out.

Anecdotally speaking, the Bolt is getting great reviews on this site and is probably pretty nice. I own the 520 and it is by far the best computer I've ever used. I absolutely love it and the current sale prices are good.

The 520 is a good size and has probably every feature you'll need. While the screen isn't the largest I still find the map useful, and I also like the elevation profile fields. I have no issue syncing via Bluetooth and using that for Strava beacon feature... also I like the Garmin Varia radar for added safety and the 520 works great with it. I don't like touchscreens so the 520 is personally more appealing to me than the 820.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    thanks for your reply, which is making things not easier

I got both now, here is my first impression.

Elemnt Bolt:
    - feels a little bit cheap and looks like from the 90s with his grey plastic body...
    - however, buttons respond very well, i like the layout with the 3 buttons at the front
    - setup was super easy and almost self explaining
    - Syncing routes to the device - no problem at all and done with a few clicks
    - logical menu structur

Edge 520
    - feels premium quality
    - buttons are very hard to press, and because there are some on the left and on the right side, you have to pay attentionthat you don't press some buttons by accident..
    - setup and navigation through the menues feel like a pain..very confusing at first
    - Map and screen looks a little bit better (color)
    -IQ Apps for Route Syncing (is thispossible without PC?) Any suggestions for usefullConnect IQ Apps?

However, will go for a short testride tomorrow to compare both units in the field.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Yes, but the maps and Navigation is powered by your phone, correct?
    Yes this is correct. I'm not suggesting that Lezyne Super GPS is the best GPS computer out there, just trying to clarify info that was put out. if he is looking for the best GPS product out there then the Lezyne is not it. but I believe it is the best product at it's price point ($150) at lest on paper. I have not used it but have one on order.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Sorry for raping this thread...
    Did my first testride with both units today, and what can i say, they are both good..

Just a couple of things that came into my mind:

- Is it possible on the Edge to zoom in and out the map while actualy on the map? Only option i can find is to enter menu, disable auto zoom and set zoom %.
    - Is there a way to easily(!) sync routes to the edge?

Also, the Edge seems to be slightly accurater (altitude, GPS?)

On the other hand, the Bolt is easy to use, and the app is very refreshing compared to garmin connect.
    But still few things that are bugging me. Still have a few days left to decide, which will not be easy

RoadBikeReview Member
    yes, you can zoom easily on the 820 anyway, would assume it's the same on the 520 - tap the screen when on the map and you have 3 options a Plus and Minus sign which when you tap zooms in our out, and a hand - when you tap on it and hold you can drag your position on the map around. As far as syncing routes, how are you doing it now? Bike routetoaster or Ride with GPS files can be dragged and dropped to it easily or you can turn any ride you have done that is saved in the activities into a map if you want to do the same ride again. Or you can copy a GPX file from Strava to it and make a route. The Garmin 820 has GPS and GLONASS which makes it pretty darned accurate even with limited view of the sky like in a canyon or heavy tree cover, don't know what the 520 has but the 510 has GPS plus GLONASS too.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Neophyte
    520 is GPS+GLONASS

I find easiest way to move routes to 520 is copy the GPX file to the NewFiles directory when you attach the device to a computer. The route will then exist after you unplug and the 520 restarts. It isn't the most elegant process but simple and works.

Since 520 has no touchscreen you can't tap to initiate zoom. So yeah you have to disable autozoom, not great. They probably figured if you really want good map features you'd get one of their larger devices and for the 520 you should just be happy there is mapping and routing at all. Probably the reason I'm okay with the map on the 520 is I didn't expect to even use it, so it doesn't really disappoint me. The zoom functionality leaves a bit to be desired, though.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 04-09-2017 at 11:30 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Sorry for raping this thread...
    Did my first testride with both units today, and what can i say, they are both good..

Just a couple of things that came into my mind:

- Is it possible on the Edge to zoom in and out the map while actualy on the map? Only option i can find is to enter menu, disable auto zoom and set zoom %.
    - Is there a way to easily(!) sync routes to the edge?

Also, the Edge seems to be slightly accurater (altitude, GPS?)

On the other hand, the Bolt is easy to use, and the app is very refreshing compared to garmin connect.
    But still few things that are bugging me. Still have a few days left to decide, which will not be easy
    it would seem a better to do the comparison between the Bolt and the 820, which is what I am trying to decide between . I like the idea of the color screen, but of major importance to me is being able to easily upload rides from Ride with GPS and Strava, either from routes I create on a PC or routes others have ridden. When I do not know an area, I search for rides others have done, looking for the area and similar distance I am looking to ride....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Surprised anyone got a "cheap" or dated" feel from the BOLT. I love this thing. To me, it feels (and looks) like something Apple would produce (but doesn't randomly require a new password every time I log in).

The three buttons on the top surface; nearest the rider are great - the contrasting color and material make it very easy to find/press even in gloves.

The side buttons - since there are only three (two that you use while riding) are very easy to find, use while riding.

I never liked the touchscreen of the 510... very finicky, didn't seem to like sweat, or gloves... or...

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by gzim View Post
    it would seem a better to do the comparison between the Bolt and the 820, which is what I am trying to decide between . I like the idea of the color screen, but of major importance to me is being able to easily upload rides from Ride with GPS and Strava, either from routes I create on a PC or routes others have ridden. When I do not know an area, I search for rides others have done, looking for the area and similar distance I am looking to ride....
    Why? The Bolt and 520 are both non-touchscreen. The 820 is not a replacement for the 520. The 520 is still in production and being updated, MSRP price for Bolt matches closer to 520 than 820.

It's fair enough to consider all three and a million more if you're shopping around for a new GPS computer, I just don't understand what you mean here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast