Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Hi, just to let you know. I will keep the BOLT.
    Have done a longer ride with both units on the bike, and the result was almost the same. (Just GPS data, no sensors)

What I like on the BOLT is that everything seems to be easier than on the edge.
    For example:
    Rode a track from RWGPS and on the road I saw that I actually wanted to ride it the other way around.
    Was not able to find any option on the edge (maybe there is one, but I had no time). On the BOLT it's just one click in the app, and you have your route reverted..

I also like the screen on the BOLT. In some situations I found it easier to read the BOLT rather than the edge.

All in all, i think both devices are a good buy. As mentioned above, the BOLT is maybe in between the Edge 520 and 820.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If i had to sum up wahoo elemnt in one word it would be "seamless". I don't always have access to my computer to download a route file, and with your smart phone always handy you literally don't have to mess with any downloads to a garmin.

Just connect your ridewithgps and strava accounts, and your off and riding.

It automatically pulls rides from ridewithgps to your mobile phone, and you can just click on it and say use this.

The navigation is awesome, leds will flash in the direction you need to turn, and distance to the turn is given on your unit. The map is easy to read and constantly updates so you can see side roads or alternate routes.

After the ride it seamlessly pushes to strava.

My only one complaint is that there is no wahoo web portal just all app based to view results. But it doesn't matter it will push to strava, training peaks, and ridewithgps, so you have it all there.

The led lights are nice for heart rate monitoring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pittcanna View Post
    If i had to sum up wahoo elemnt in one word it would be "seamless". I don't always have access to my computer to download a route file, and with your smart phone always handy you literally don't have to mess with any downloads to a garmin.

Just connect your ridewithgps and strava accounts, and your off and riding.

It automatically pulls rides from ridewithgps to your mobile phone, and you can just click on it and say use this.

The navigation is awesome, leds will flash in the direction you need to turn, and distance to the turn is given on your unit. The map is easy to read and constantly updates so you can see side roads or alternate routes.

After the ride it seamlessly pushes to strava.

My only one complaint is that there is no wahoo web portal just all app based to view results. But it doesn't matter it will push to strava, training peaks, and ridewithgps, so you have it all there.

The led lights are nice for heart rate monitoring.
    thanks, yes I do not wan to always have to upload a route from my computer... I like what you have to say. In response to a previous post, the main reason I would not consider the 520 is that I have read you cannot zoom in on the map easily, and being able to follow a route is one of my main desires.
    So, the 820 bundle costs $500, and the Bolt is $250, but I would need to buy some other sensors. I have a heart rate strap from a Garmin 220 runners a wastch, which seems like it should work, so nowt with I will need to buy speed and cadence sensors? I am not looking to start with power metering, but want the rest...
    does anyone have any suggestions for what to buy to round out a kit for the bolt?

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I have the Wahoo BlueSC speed/cadence sensor combination unit. It works well, although its bit a bit finicky to get the magnets in just the right position, IMO. My new frame supports the integrated pickup on the non drive chain stay so I sort of covet that cleaner look.

Im also using the Wahoo tickr hr strap. It works well, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gzim View Post
    thanks, yes I do not wan to always have to upload a route from my computer... I like what you have to say. In response to a previous post, the main reason I would not consider the 520 is that I have read you cannot zoom in on the map easily, and being able to follow a route is one of my main desires.
    So, the 820 bundle costs $500, and the Bolt is $250, but I would need to buy some other sensors. I have a heart rate strap from a Garmin 220 runners a wastch, which seems like it should work, so nowt with I will need to buy speed and cadence sensors? I am not looking to start with power metering, but want the rest...
    does anyone have any suggestions for what to buy to round out a kit for the bolt?
    I have the wahoo speed and cadence sensor. You can pick up the combo pack off amazon for like 70 dollars
    https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-Cadence...ahoo+rpm&psc=1

as long as the hr strap is ant+ it will work.

Those are really the only sensors you will want to have just short of getting a powermeter.

If you do get a powermeter most of them have an intergated cadence sensor.

i would go for the bolt or the original, the bolt is nice and compact and great for the price. I went for more real estate on the screen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pittcanna View Post
    I have the wahoo speed and cadence sensor. You can pick up the combo pack off amazon for like 70 dollars
    https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-Cadence...ahoo+rpm&psc=1

as long as the hr strap is ant+ it will work.

Those are really the only sensors you will want to have just short of getting a powermeter.

If you do get a powermeter most of them have an intergated cadence sensor.

i would go for the bolt or the original, the bolt is nice and compact and great for the price. I went for more real estate on the screen.

So after reading more , one negative point for the Bolt compared to the 820/1000 would be the way (or lack of) navigation. I often change routes mid ride on the fly and would like to be able to re-route. Sounds like that would be difficult on the Bolt.

Also on a few sites, the Garmin 1000 bundle is now 499, the same price as the 820 bundle. Is the 1000 about to be updated or discontinued? Would it be dumb to buy the 820 when you could have the 1000 for the same price?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Would it be dumb to buy the 820 when you could have the 1000 for the same price?
    There's pros and cons to either but one thing to consider if you do longer rides is the 820 battery life is longer than the 1000, probably due to the screen. I plug a USB type battery into my bike computers for really long rides though. A 6 or 8 hour ride the 820 will do fine without an external battery easily, not sure about the 1000.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    So after reading more , one negative point for the Bolt compared to the 820/1000 would be the way (or lack of) navigation. I often change routes mid ride on the fly and would like to be able to re-route. Sounds like that would be difficult on the Bolt.
    Make sure you are reading current (and accurate) reviews. The Elemnt units have a (recently added) feature called "Route me Anywhere". You just open the map in the mobile app and drop a pin, and go. It will plot a route for you.

This does require the mobile app, but it's certainly very usable, and very handy feature. I've used it many times since it was implemented.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another nice feature in addition to the reroute if you miss a turn on the 820 is the built in map used for navigation has cycling friendly roads, trails and points of interest to use for point to point navigation route instead of just using any road off a map which could put you on roads you really don't want to be on with a bike.

Disclaimer, I haven't used this feature because I generally use the routing a couple times a year on organized fondos/rides and those are downloaded from the internet.

I have used the reroute a few times playing around Navigation just to see how it works when I first got the 820 and it's pretty much like what would happen using your car or phone navigation while driving if you miss a turn, quite nice.

I would definitely read the DC rainmaker's review on the Bolt if considering it as an option for a new computer - he does a pretty good job covering the pros and cons of it vs alternatives including navigation, smart trainer control, using for structured workouts etc.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member

Also on a few sites, the Garmin 1000 bundle is now 499, the same price as the 820 bundle. Is the 1000 about to be updated or discontinued? Would it be dumb to buy the 820 when you could have the 1000 for the same price?
    If your worried about routing, its as simple as pulling out your cell phone, and update the route. It is more than capable to route on the fly. you should head over to dcrainmaker.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I can't help you with the Di2 as I'm on a gravel bike with a lot of road miles. I was in same boat and I read so many damn reviews....they confused me even more. So need specific and I didn't exactly KNOW what all my needs would be.....I'm mistly a mtber. So I fugured I's try the Garmin 820 and if it had bugs just return it (Amazon Prime!!)...

I got the 820 bundle and so far the integration to Android phone has been perfect. Bluetooth sensors are all working great. No problems yet. I do think the screen resolution should be crisper and I don't like the slight delay of the touch screen. I'm still getting use to it but so far I'm good with the purchase.

fxx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone consider the Bryton Rider 530?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Why do you need gear indicator? Cadence is what a biker should watch, if it gets low, shift down, if it gets high, shift up. What difference does it make what gear your in? On a good day your in 5th up the hill, on a bad, 3rd.
    Exactly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Fixed it for you This hasn't been an issue since 2 updates ago, and it wasn't that it didn't work it just kept switching screens.
    I went crazy picking a GPS unit. I thought the 820 was good for my needs but initial reviews were not complimentary. I was told by many that the 820, like so many other Garmin products, was released too early and that they usually iron out the issues sitting an update of two.

I've had mine for 4 months now. I'm happy with it and I like the Connect App for the phone as well. No issues with the screen in the rain. Tracks what I want and plenty more.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by fxx View Post
    Anyone consider the Bryton Rider 530?
    I'm seeing and hearing good things about Bryton lately.

Been following some epic riders, ones who's rides are too epic for the battery life of anything Garmin does. Bryton has become the go-to unit for this crowd.

Does everything Garmin does but better and for longer.

We should band together and boycott Garmin. Seriously, we've had enough of their bullshit and deserve a better company.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    We should band together and boycott Garmin. Seriously, we've had enough of their bullshit and deserve a better company.
    Seriously?

I like longer battery life but that's easily remedied on a Garmin with small battery add on - lots of people I know use those on epic rides with Garmins. What does the Bryton do better than say an 820 besides last longer without an external battery?

I do like competition and the market will drive improvements in pricing and features I'm sure which is good, so glad they are making them now for sure although I don't see myself in the market for another bike computer for at least a few years.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    I just switched out My to year old Garmin 1000 for the 820. The size is much better. The 1000 is like riding with an iPad😂.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I'm seeing and hearing good things about Bryton lately.

Been following some epic riders, ones who's rides are too epic for the battery life of anything Garmin does. Bryton has become the go-to unit for this crowd.

Does everything Garmin does but better and for longer.

absolutely 100% I am with you! pee on Garmin. I abandoned them and my wife continues to have endless headaches with her 810, HRM and Garmin power pedals

been looking at the Bryton units too. They offer all I need, just wish my eyes could focus on the 330, such an attractive price and battery runtime. 530 maybe

Just hard to find a place to buy the Brytons from

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I like longer battery life but that's easily remedied on a Garmin with small battery add on - lots of people I know use those on epic rides with Garmins. What does the Bryton do better than say an 820 besides last longer without an external battery? .
    My 820 has been great. No problems at all. Routed me perfectly for dirty kanza 200 and the other 4500+ miles I have ridden with it so far this season.

A teammate ran an 820 and a bolt simulanteously for a few rides. He returned the bolt. Said it was over rated. Fwiw, he runs a W' iq connect app on the 820. The bolt does not have that ability.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    My 820 has been great. No problems at all. Routed me perfectly for dirty kanza 200 and the other 4500+ miles I have ridden with it so far this season.
    Worked fine for me on DK200 this year (last year I used a 510 last year worked fine also, just no turn by turn or background map)- had all the roads and turns prompted, even the double track roads.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123