Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017

Need help picking a GPS

I just upgraded my bike from a 14 year old Serotta Concours Ti , to a Tarmac Pro Disc (2016 bought used). It has Ultegra Di2. I would like buy a GPS and enter into the 21st century
    I have looked online at the Garmin 1000, the new 820 and the Wahoo Bolt.

I understand the Garmin 1000 is the only one which will display my gearing from the Di2 which sounds like something I would like to see on the screen (is this true).... the 820 is the only one with the new Find your friends feature Group Track - which seems cute, but not sure how useful unless it gets some critical mass. I am also concerned about screen size, as it is 2.3 vs the 3" of the 1000... I am 55 Year old and need reading glasses, which I do not wear while riding... they are in my jersey pocket. If the screen font are large enough I can get by without them, same with map size Anyone with experience here would be helpful!. Are these user adjustable??

The Wahoo Bolt.... not sure, watched a few review video's and not really sure where this fits.

I have a feeling the Garmin 1000 has a lot more than I need, as right now I am not planning on adding a power meter, but do like data, and will ride sometimes with a heart monitor....
    I also really like being able to plan a ride on Ride with GPS or Strava, or download rides from others, where I can see distance and how much climbing, and then being able to follow the route....

looking for any and all input!

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I can't help with most of your questions, but I replaced an old 9-speed shifter this past year. The new one has an in indicator for which gear is selected. I have never looked at it once.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gzim View Post
    I just upgraded my bike from a 14 year old Serotta Concours Ti , to a Tarmac Pro Disc (2016 bought used). It has Ultegra Di2. I would like buy a GPS and enter into the 21st century

I understand the Garmin 1000 is the only one which will display my gearing from the Di2 which sounds like something I would like to see on the screen (is this true).... the 820 is the only one with the new Find your friends feature Group Track - which seems cute, but not sure how useful unless it gets some critical mass. I am also concerned about screen size, as it is 2.3 vs the 3" of the 1000... I am 55 Year old and need reading glasses, which I do not wear while riding... they are in my jersey pocket. If the screen font are large enough I can get by without them, same with map size Anyone with experience here would be helpful!. Are these user adjustable??

The Wahoo Bolt.... not sure, watched a few review video's and not really sure where this fits.

I have a feeling the Garmin 1000 has a lot more than I need, as right now I am not planning on adding a power meter, but do like data, and will ride sometimes with a heart monitor....
    I also really like being able to plan a ride on Ride with GPS or Strava, or download rides from others, where I can see distance and how much climbing, and then being able to follow the route....

Best advice I can give, make a list of the features you need the device to have and then look for one that fits MOST of that criteria.

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExChefinMA View Post
    Best advice I can give, make a list of the features you need the device to have and then look for one that fits MOST of that criteria.

EEC
    I'm considering a Lezyne Super GPS, has electronic shifting integration, Strava segments, turn by turn navigation, Bluetooth and ANT+ support, large display, and pairs with iOS and Android smartphones just to name a few. Very reasonably priced too.

http://www.lezyne.com/product-gps-su...p#.WN_QiegpBSA

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ExChefinMA View Post

EEC
    the problem is I am not sure what I need....I want good gps with a easily readable screen. I'd like the typical data tracking, speed, hr, distance, altitude.... and easy to up and download from strava and Ride with GPS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    I'm considering a Lezyne Super GPS, has electronic shifting integration, Strava segments, turn by turn navigation, Bluetooth and ANT+ support, large display, and pairs with iOS and Android smartphones just to name a few. Very reasonably priced too.

Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - GPS - Super GPS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! Looks very good..... I am going to look into this unit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I haven't tried any of the units you mention. But note that the Garmin 520 will also give you gear information (and Di2 battery info, if you care). I wasn't sure whether gear info would be all that useful, but it is actually easier to view than glancing at the back cassettes. And I find this useful because the terrain I ride is usually quite varied, and I'm shifting both front and back derailleurs a lot. Not a compelling reason to buy electronic shifting, but a pleasant little bonus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    For me , i want the unit to display grade, speed , distance and allow me me to follow a route. I also value battery life as I ride long. The 810 fits the bill. What may get me to change is if a unit comes out with superior mapping abilities to get me back on track should i go off course. so far from what i can tell nobody does that particularly well so i'm sticking with my 810 and when that need arises i switch to my android phone using google maps

RoadBikeReview Member
    I believe the Leynze runs off your phone for Navigation, so limited by your phone battery life if that's a feature you plant to use. The 520, and 820 Garmins will show you gear also, much less expensive than the 1000. Arts has the 520 on sale $50 off, but others will have sales on either of those Garmins this Spring if you aren't in a rush. Wahoo sales are few and far between, no discounting really for them. I have the Garmin 820, and it works great. Also 60 years old and no issues reading the numbers, and I do use readers from time to time for close up work on my bike.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    garmin edge 1000/820/520 will all display your di2 gears and also do the group ride thing. You'l need the shimano d-fly to run the gears unless it's new duraace (i think the new DA does the ANT like XTR)... but really to figure out all the features of all (and I mean eveything) have a look around DCRainmaker's website.

I have an edge 1000 and use the gear indicator all the time, personally I find i really handy, others may not.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I believe the Leynze runs off your phone for Navigation, so limited by your phone battery life if that's a feature you plant to use. The 520, and 820 Garmins will show you gear also, much less expensive than the 1000. Arts has the 520 on sale $50 off, but others will have sales on either of those Garmins this Spring if you aren't in a rush. Wahoo sales are few and far between, no discounting really for them. I have the Garmin 820, and it works great. Also 60 years old and no issues reading the numbers, and I do use readers from time to time for close up work on my bike.

there are complaints about the 820 when the screen gets wet. nothing works

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    garmin edge 1000/820/520 will all display your di2 gears and also do the group ride thing. You'l need the shimano d-fly to run the gears unless it's new duraace (i think the new DA does the ANT like XTR)... but really to figure out all the features of all (and I mean eveything) have a look around DCRainmaker's website.

I have an edge 1000 and use the gear indicator all the time, personally I find i really handy, others may not.
    Thanks for the reply... guess I'd better read up on d fly as I will need to buy one of these too,
    Last edited by gzim; 04-02-2017 at 05:24 AM. Reason: dummy ness

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the reply... guess I'd better read up on d fly. I just bought the 2016 tarmac and it ll ultegra Di2.... is there something I would need to add to have d fly, or is it a standard feature?
    Yeah you have to buy the d-fly and 1 extra cable (and if you don't have it, buy/steal the special tool to fiddle with cables)... or the new junction box or whatever that makes the newest di2 talk to stuff. Then update the software and pair with gps device.

I'll admit, the reason I bought a 1000 was that it had di2 integration out of the box and the 510 at the time didn't (was announced 15 sec after I bought it haha). I really like the gear indicator very, very handy for me as otherwise I have no idea what gear i'm in haha.
    All the gear and no idea

Neophyte
    Don't overlook the 520 which is on sale at some places right now. There's not likely anything the 820 has that you'll miss if you get a 520, and some people would prefer NOT to have a touchscreen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    there WERE complaints about the 820 when the screen gets wet. nothing works
    Fixed it for you This hasn't been an issue since 2 updates ago, and it wasn't that it didn't work it just kept switching screens.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Very happy with my Wahoo Elemnt. And the few gripes that I have with it (near silent beeps, stiff buttons, kind of ugly), were all addressed with the new Bolt. It's so much easier to set up all the screens through my phone, instead of clicking through menus. Zooming in and out on data fields is brilliant. Not sure how important routing is to you, but Wahoo makes it sooo simple. Make the route on RidewithGPS.com, hit sync on the Elemnt (bolt), and it's there. No more worrying about copying files to the unit, and hoping it accepts it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Just out of curiosity, do you (or anyone for that matter) go on rides without your cell phone? If you want GPS, why not just purchase a mount for your cell phone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you (or anyone for that matter) go on rides without your cell phone? If you want GPS, why not just purchase a mount for your cell phone?
    I always ride with my phone, mostly because it links my garmin to the website so I can run live tracking.
    I used to have my phone mounted on my bars to run as a gps computer and it is very craptastic. Sucks the battery life fast, is way too big and inconvenient and is generally crap compared to an actual cycle computer. Plus it's easy to move garmin from bike to bike as it came with a few mounts, and the phone mount would last 30sec on my mtb. Also the garmin seemed to be far more accurate.
    If a phone is all you have, then go with it, but (for me) going to a dedicated gps was far superior.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Why do you need gear indicator? Cadence is what a biker should watch, if it gets low, shift down, if it gets high, shift up. What difference does it make what gear your in? On a good day your in 5th up the hill, on a bad, 3rd.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I own both wahoo units - they do display Di2 gear info on your screen - either in visual aid form, or as a number. What they don't do (that the Garmin 1000 does) is summarize your shifting details (how many over your ride) as part of your ride summary.

I used to have an Edge 1000 before I got the Elemnt and honestly I don't miss that feature at all. In fact other than checking my Di2 battery every few weeks, I don't even care about having the thing paired.

Other than just being stable (none of my garmin units worked properly or consistently), the think I like most about the Wahoo units is the screen. It's much easier for my old eyes to read in all lighting conditions. And it's *not* color and it's *not* a touchscreen. The color isn't such a big deal, but I don't really need to pay extra for this, and the touchscreen is absolutely maddening when your hands are sweaty, if it's raining, or you are wearing full fingered gloves (about 9 months out of the year for me). The physical tactile buttons on the Bolt are much easier to manipulate in all conditions that trying to use the touch screen on the Garmins.

The one enhancement I'm eagerly awaiting on the Wahoo units is the improvement of the Live Tracking site data. Right now it's mostly useless to the person viewing your link on a web browser, as all it shows is your dot on a map. They've been promising an update to this for a while now, so hopefully it will come soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Why do you need gear indicator? Cadence is what a biker should watch, if it gets low, shift down, if it gets high, shift up. What difference does it make what gear your in? On a good day your in 5th up the hill, on a bad, 3rd.
    When I ony road mtb, 7/8/9 speed, never really had an issue, but when I got a road bike (2x10) I found it completely different weirdly, the anount of times i'd go to change gears and there'd be no more gears. That hasn't changed going to 11sd, used to be I could just look down and see, but I'm not as bendy, eyesight not as good (and heck theres 11 gears down there). For me I find it incredibly useful, others may not, thats fine, the option is there to use or not use, I use it.

"On a good day your in 5th up the hill, on a bad, 3rd." An the thing is, in reality it doesn't matter but me, I like to actually know, it's maybe OCD or something, but its stuff like that I find quite important while I'm actually riding
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    If it displayed the actual cog you are in - 12 on small ring as example, I could see that as an advantage.

Lots of times I'll be moving along, in the small ring, or a big cog on the rear with the large ring, and lose track of where I am. Thus I do a quick glance back and discover I'm in the 12 not the 13, thus should move to the big ring, etc...

Having it displayed on the head unit is moderately safer then glancing back at your cluster. Not a game changer though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Check out the dcrainmaker site. I believe he has reviews on the units you are looking at.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The Elemnt absolutely does display the actual cog you are on, but as as a visual, and/or as a numerical reference.

This is a screen showing which actual cog you are on.

This happens to be on the original Elemnt, but the Bolt has the exact same data field options available.

Last edited by Migen21; 04-05-2017 at 06:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    The Elemnt absolutely does display the actual cog you are on, but as as a visual, and/or as a numerical reference.

This is a screen showing which actual cog you are on.

This happens to be on the original Elemnt, but the Bolt has the exact same data field options available.

That does look really easy to read. How is the map... is that also very easy to read?
    I would like to be able to plot out a ride on Ride with GPS or download a ride (a shop I sometimes ride with puts up their ride on their website) that I can get onto my bikes GPS.
    Also concerned reading that Garmin is not good in helping you when you go off course. Too often I have experienced that the ride we were planning has something, like a road being paved, or closed, etc and we need to change the ride. Do any of these units help? Sounds like the Bolt has a good return to start feature, which would help me find where I parked my car... which I can always do I on my phone,... but like the idea of being able to navigate with the Bikes GPS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast