RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

In need of some new waterproof gloves

As the title says I am in need of some new winter gloves which are waterproof, wind proof and are still light weight for road cycling. They will be used in temperatures as low as -5 ish at most.

Looking for recommendations please

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnpembo73 View Post
    As the title says I am in need of some new winter gloves which are waterproof, wind proof and are still light weight for road cycling. They will be used in temperatures as low as -5 ish at most.
    Minus 5?

That caught my eye 'till I realized you meant Centigrade. But still, -5 C = 23 F is asking a lot from anything short of a pretty heavy glove. My winter gloves are Gore Windstoppers. Waterproof, windproof and lightweight. But not for 23 F. I find them comfortable out here in Seattle down to around 42 F (= 5 C). Below that, I would need a glove liner. But even with a liner, I doubt they'd be comfortable below freezing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    There are some out there on the market. Just google them. Personally, I'd just go buy a box of nitrile gloves, put those first, then layer a couple of gloves over the top. I generally wear a pair of DH gloves, then a set of fleece windstopper over the top of the fleece. I know at REI, there are some gloves by Seirus that are phenomenal, but they get expensive.

go to Seirus Innovation and look at the snow sports and look at the extreme all weather glove. They are as good as indicated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get the lobster mitts from gore or Shimano etc. fingers grouped together are much warmer than those segregated. Forget light weight. If you're hardcore enough to ride below freezing, you haul the extra 16 ounces.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgless View Post
    There are some out there on the market. Just google them. Personally, I'd just go buy a box of nitrile gloves, put those first, then layer a couple of gloves over the top. I generally wear a pair of DH gloves, then a set of fleece windstopper over the top of the fleece. I know at REI, there are some gloves by Seirus that are phenomenal, but they get expensive.

go to Seirus Innovation and look at the snow sports and look at the extreme all weather glove. They are as good as indicated.
    Nitrile gloves? Really? For cycling? Nitrile gloves will not let your hands breath at all and will hold in every once of sweat that you may create. Not a good choice for cycling, IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    For those conditions, I'd go with the Pearl Izumi WxB Glove. It's completely waterproof, windproof, very warm but not too bulky. You can use them with a liner for really frigid temps.

chamois creme addict
    Gloves cannot be all things. I live in the PNW and I have yet to experience a glove that is truly waterproof. The best gloves in my arsenal for riding in the rain are neoprene paddling gloves, these are heavy neoprene with grippy rubber palms and fingers. They can be found at MEC in Canada, and likely REI in the USA. The secret with them is that they will keep one's hands warm so long as they stay wet. If it stops raining and wet gets on them then cold hands will ensue. I also think Castelli makes a glove called the Diluvio which is a neoprene glove.

For dry and cold, anything insulated with Windstopper shells are the best but once the temp gets down below 3 C I find it better to switch from a fingered glove to a lobster-style glove - that is my cutoff point but might be high/low for other people.

Another rainy ride secret - bring an extra pair of gloves if you are doing a longer ride. If I am wearing the neoprenes I always pack something else in case it stops raining. And if it is dry when I leave home I put the neoprenes in one of my pockets so I can switch to them if it rains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Put these on over your thin long finger gloves and you will be warm.
    The nitrile glove idea works too. The moisture you are worried about is trapped between the skin tight glove and your skin. You do not feel wet.
    Aerostich Triple Digit Rain Covers :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
    Attached Images Attached Images  

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnpembo73 View Post

Looking for recommendations please
    Assuming you truly were speaking in Centigrade, I've been very happy with a pair of Specialized gloves (I forget what they were called, Bodywhatever, check the website) that I use for just those sorts of conditions. They're not as bulky (nor quite as warm) as my Pearl Izumi gloves, and they've been waterproof so far. I think I dropped about $45 on them.

They also have a BIG reflective stripe, a nice safety feature.

Most important to me, but maybe not to you, is that they fit my very large hands, and leave me room for wool liners, if I want a little temp range extension. I can remove the liners as the day warms up, and stow them in a jersey pocket. Nice when you start out on a cold morning that warms up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I ended up buying the specializes radiant glove Specialized Radiant Wind/Waterproof Cycling Gloves 2012 - 35

Just need try them out now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    At those temps, I would be tempted to try these:

Bar Mitts - Ride in Comfort

If they work as well as indicated, you should be able to wear any glove you want with them. Although, I personally have no experience with this product...just thought I would throw it out there as an option.