RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

New bike our new groupset

Hello,I have a Focus Cayo 2014, this bike was very well rated in 2014 on bike radar. (BOTY) (Carbon, internal cable)I really like the position and the comfort is perfect, and I find it still very beautiful (Charcoal gray and Carbon clear). the paint is still perfect. 9.5 / 10 and I have good wheels set Shimano Rs81 c35 .
    Its only flaw in my eyes: it is 105 10 speeds. As I know that the bike and my wheels are 11-speed compatible, I wonder if a groupset upgrade would be a good thing. (ultegra 6800 or 8000)Invest money heeeu no !!!! ........ spend money $ 800 for that or sell the bike about $ 800 and bought another one at $ 2500-4000Thank you the season is approaching.Sorry Google help me to translate ; )Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bike our new groupset-focus-1-.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    IMO $8oo for two extra gears that really just make the shifting closer is not worth it. If you really like the bike why sell it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Continue enjoying the bike and save the 800 dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Buy a used 11 speed group, and sell your 5700.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Google did okay but didn't quite get the translation. I'll take a crack at it: "I want to spend $800 or a few thousand $ for no apparent reason".

I don't care if strangers on the net blow money but if you have a bike that fits and a group that works well I think you'll be disappointed by "upgrading".

If you really want to spend some money? What about getting something different? Like a gravel bike if you have a place to use it? Or some real good bike clothing (even if you're well stocked now that stuff wears out).
    Not sure there's much point in spending to get a new version of what'll essentially be the same thing. Whereas something different like a gravel bike might be nice to have in addition (as opposed as a replacement).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Two years ago, I upgraded my 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 from a 105 5700 groupo (12-30T 10-speed cassette) to an Ultegra 6800 groupo (11-32T 11-speed cassette). Here is what I gained:

No more chain drops.
    A bit better hill climbing gearing.
    Smoother shifts.
    Marginally better braking.

I really don't care that I have one more speed.

One thing to note is that the original 105 5700 groupo wasn't a full 5700. It had a cheapo FSA Gossamer crankset that had issues from day 1.

That being said, I later bought a gravel bike with full 105 5800 drivetrain. Everything about it is as nice as the Ultegra 6800.

The takeaway is that IMHO, I think there is more to gain in going to the next generation drive train (from 5700/6700 to 5800/6800), than going up a level in drive train. I went with the 6800 upgrade because the price was right at the time.

And no, I would not even think about a new bike if I were you, unless you are just looking to get rid of moldy money.

What I should ask is what is it you are looking to gain with an upgrade?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    New wheels and new (used) frames are fun and often useful ways to spend bike money IMO. New groupset = meh.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Would you really need to spend $800 to do that? Can't you just replace the brake/shift levers, front/rear derailer, chain and cassette? A whole 8000 group is $800. Although i guess all that's left in the cranks which aren't real expensive with Shimano.

I've completely rebuilt my 1999 Litespeed Ultimate and my 2001 Colnago C-40 -- but the components on those bikes (Dura Ace 7700) were pretty old. I actually wore out one of the shifters and had to buy a used replacement off ebay. Those components were getting pretty old -- yours are barely 4 years old. I'd either blow it on some fancy custom wheels
    , or save the money for a second bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You like the bike just upgrade the groupset this ultegea 11 speed for $325

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ult...EAAOSw38BagLN3

AND get you a nice Dura-Ace 11 speed wheelset for $459 and come under your $800 budget

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dur...EAAOSwBp9af9lt

Bam! bike you like riding with 11 speed groupset and nice wheels!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    You like the bike just upgrade the groupset this ultegea 11 speed for $325

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ult...EAAOSw38BagLN3

AND get you a nice Dura-Ace 11 speed wheelset for $459 and come under your $800 budget

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dur...EAAOSwBp9af9lt

Bam! bike you like riding with 11 speed groupset and nice wheels!
    The reason that groupo is so cheap is it is incomplete and used. When you are buying a used groupo, you have no idea how many miles. Cassette could be worn.

You could probably get a brand new full 5800 for under $500 at this point.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post

You could probably get a brand new full 5800 for under $500 at this point.
    OK I see your point $517 from Taiwan free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105...0AAOSwQItUCBd7

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    OK I see your point $517 from Taiwan free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105...0AAOSwQItUCBd7
    Chain reaction has the 5800 group for $399 w/free shipping. Got mine from Ribble for $360 a year ago. Really a great groupset for the money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Screw That !.

Go whole hog and upgrade to Ultegra Di2.

The frame is ready with internal cabling, a full group will run you $1500. I just upgraded an existing 5800 group with the Di2 7 piece kit, love electronic.

You'll never go back to mechanical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I just went through this same exercise. I like my bike and it fits me well and still rides like a dream (it already has a carbon frame). To get anything really better than what I have would cost me at least $4k and still won't have the wheels I want. or, to get the bike that I really, really like would cost me around $10k (ain't happening). Instead, I upgraded my drive train to Force/Red and just purchased some new wheels and tires. Since I do the work myself, my costs was for parts only and I got some discounts on those, too. I'll admit, the new bikes have some nice color schemes and frame options, but no need to buy a new bike in my opinion, especially if you still like the one you have.

It sounds like you want something new though, so go with new drivetrain or wheel set or both.

Just One Man's Opinion.
    Last edited by Methodical; 6 Days Ago at 10:03 PM.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    I’m also on a 2014 105 Groupset Bike. I figure two more years and 6000 more miles I’ll just get a new bike.
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.