RoadBikeReview Member

New bike, spur of the moment.

Started looking at new carbon bikes, basically to see if I could afford to upgrade. I thought about looking at bikes up to the $3,500 mark. Did not want to go below Ultegra Group and wheels I did not need to upgrade soon. I am currently riding a 1999 Cannondale CAAD3 with full Ultegra. So I'm looking at the Specialized Tarac Expert and some Giant models when I happen into a LBS to look around and they have a Cannondale System Six 2008 model with full Ultegra, Mavic Aksium Race wheels and marked down to $1,800. I comtemplated for a few moments (will my wife shoot me when I get home?) then put half down on the bike to give me a day or so to think about it. I took it for a spin around a couple of city blocks and it felt good, was alot more forgiving on rough roads than my CAAD3 and was very responsive. Maybe in the morning, or after a ride tomorrow, I will make the ultimate decision and pay it off and put a new set of Ultegra peddles on it and a computer with HRM and cadence and plan a long ride for the Thanksgiving weekend or continue to look. My friend, a big Cannondale fan, thinks it's to good a deal to pass up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As a fan of Cannondale products (2008 Synapse), I say if it fits you well and the price is right, GO FOR IT !!! Good luck.....and keep riding that 'Dale.
    ------------------------------
    TheDarkAce

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Good deal sounds like. BUT - check out that Tarmac Expert, it's a VERY nice bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I think that would almost be a no brainer for $1,800. This is the reason I never buy the newest and greatest thing out there, and do a lot of looking at ebay. I am not willing to pay the premium price for something that is only a tiny bitter better than last year's model. Heck, I'm building a bike right now with Campy Record 10 because I don't think the new Campy Record 11 is worth the extra money or the pain of having 4 bikes with Record 10 and one with Record 11.

What happens to your deposit if you decide to forego the purchase? Will you lose it? If so, just buy the bike, and if you don't like it sell it on ebay. You will probably get more than $900 for it, which will alleviate a portion of the loss on the deposit. At this point, it is almost a win/win situation for you if you are looking at losing a $900 deposit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

Buy the Sys-Six...

I have a Caad 9 and a System Six with Sram Force ans Ksyrium SL's. The System Six has great acceleration, especially when climbing, due to the aluminum rear end. I had an 05 Orbea Orca that I sold after trying then buying the System Six. This is the last year for the Sys-Six, so buy it while you can. MSRP on the frame is $1800.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sommy
    Good deal sounds like. BUT - check out that Tarmac Expert, it's a VERY nice bike.
    I have been looking hard at that bike for the last week. LBS has a 2009 for $3,100 with full Ultegra. I just figured for a difference of $1,300 I may not be able to tell much difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

RoadBikeReview Member
    jimio,
    I looked at that in their catalog, but the LBS that carried Felt kept pushing me toward a Giant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    really, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the choices. all amazing bikes!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I currently have a k2 mod 5.0 with full ultegra, I'm looking at getting a full carbon and the Felt f3sl seems to be my favorite. I think it's because of the sram red and the equipe mavics. I test rode a specialized tarmac and it was amazing, but just at 5000$ is way out of my budget. I've never ridden a giant but have heard good things about them. the only bike personally I don't really care for is the Trek lineups. just personal preference I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm just saying - for that kind of money, I like to test ride the bike for more like 45 minutes, and I try to hit some pretty rough road/pavement areas (like riding on the sidewalk which is made out of the squares so it's pretty darn bumpy at 15mph), so maybe go back and test ride it on a longer ride, than go and ride the Tarmac on the same ride.

If you still like it, buy it! :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    although i personally prefer european bike frames, it sounds like a great deal
    btw..aksium aren't RACE wheels..no offence =]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanwyk
    btw..aksium aren't RACE wheels..no offence =]
    That what is says on the wheel and in Cannondale's catalog, I don't know if that is a model name or what.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH
    That what is says on the wheel and in Cannondale's catalog, I don't know if that is a model name or what.
    http://www.mavic.com/road/products/aksium.995653.1.aspx
    check it out~