Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    The number of speeds the derailleur has listed doesn't have anything to do with what it can be used for. A "6 speed" 1988 105 derailleur will work with 11 speed shifters.
    Decidedly not true. Up through 9 speeds, you could mix and match shimano derailleurs, even mtb with road. Then shimano started changing pull ratios so you can't just swap any derailleur around. Also, you never could swap derailleurs from other brands (e.g., a 9 speed shimano shifter will not work with a 9 speed SRAM derailleur). So, actually, the number of speeds a derailleur is designed to work with does have a lot to do with what shifters it will work with.

But up through 9 speeds on shimano drive trains you could mix and match...9 speed mtb derailleur with 7 speed STI shifters would have worked.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    the "too loose" is because the 105 derailleurs cage spring is not nearly burly enough.

you will notice it when pedaling hard downhill in top gear and you suddenly stop pedaling to prepare for a corner and your chain flails wildly and drops off the right side of your big ring.

It's only a problem in the smallest cog and second smallest cog. All other gear combos work ok. maybe that's why your buddies haven't had issues yet?

and I assume you got this setup for climbing so at some point you'll be coming back down the mountain pedalin hard?

Addendum: I have only done the one ride. I did a 5 mile climb and then the last 1.5 miles of the descent I hammered it really hard. The descent at that point is straight enough that no slowing down or braking is required. Just some intersection blow through and car passing.

I was in the 50 12 and I was focused on my chain per our posts. I must say that the chain made an audible sound. Now not a sound in of itself that was so loud or in any way that would cause alarm. In fact I'm curious if even with the prior production setup that I replaced if the chain made the same sound under similar circumstances. I suspect not as I THINK I would have noticed it. But maybe not as it's not like I am hamering or using that combo on a frequent or regular basis. ;)

I didn't put the bike through the exact circumstances you describe on the descent because of the terrain didn't require it. The only other three or four hard descents that I do are also such that no breaking or hard cornering is required.

One thing for sure, although I'm long-time weekly big user of Amazon I will not be buying certain types of items from them like bike chains. Nope for me it will be through the bike shop that gets their stuff directly from Shimano, Trek, or other reputable commercial vendors they deal with.

By the way if I recall correctly the two-parts of the chain looked like an ultegra and dura ace combo. Two fine levels of chain---when new!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    Decidedly not true. Up through 9 speeds, you could mix and match shimano derailleurs, even mtb with road. Then shimano started changing pull ratios so you can't just swap any derailleur around. Also, you never could swap derailleurs from other brands (e.g., a 9 speed shimano shifter will not work with a 9 speed SRAM derailleur). So, actually, the number of speeds a derailleur is designed to work with does have a lot to do with what shifters it will work with.

But up through 9 speeds on shimano drive trains you could mix and match...9 speed mtb derailleur with 7 speed STI shifters would have worked.
    Yup. And I already addressed this in post #43.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    One thing for sure, although I'm long-time weekly big user of Amazon I will not be buying certain types of items from them like bike chains.
    Did you buy from Amazon, or an Amazon vendor? Vendors are like blaming Ebay. Anyone can sell on Amazon from back when they only sold books.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    Addendum: I have only done the one ride. I did a 5 mile climb and then the last 1.5 miles of the descent I hammered it really hard. The descent at that point is straight enough that no slowing down or braking is required. Just some intersection blow through and car passing.

I was in the 50 12 and I was focused on my chain per our posts. I must say that the chain made an audible sound. Now not a sound in of itself that was so loud or in any way that would cause alarm. In fact I'm curious if even with the prior production setup that I replaced if the chain made the same sound under similar circumstances. I suspect not as I THINK I would have noticed it. But maybe not as it's not like I am hamering or using that combo on a frequent or regular basis. ;)

I didn't put the bike through the exact circumstances you describe on the descent because of the terrain didn't require it. The only other three or four hard descents that I do are also such that no breaking or hard cornering is required.

One thing for sure, although I'm long-time weekly big user of Amazon I will not be buying certain types of items from them like bike chains. Nope for me it will be through the bike shop that gets their stuff directly from Shimano, Trek, or other reputable commercial vendors they deal with.

By the way if I recall correctly the two-parts of the chain looked like an ultegra and dura ace combo. Two fine levels of chain---when new!
    being in a 12 tooth cog definitely helps, were you to run an 11 tooth the problem becomes incrementally worse.

good luck and i hope it all works out!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post

Ever seen a chain that keeps breaking? That's a kind of wear, too.
    Well, it depends on the type of break. If a rivet wears the flange out and it pops, that's wear-related. If, OTOH, a link suffers tensile failure, that's not wear-related (unless it's metal fatigue).
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post

This sums it up pretty well. To add to this, Shimano changed the pull ratios on their mountain drive trains when they went to 10-speed, but didn't change the pull ratios on their road drive trains until they went to 11-speed.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123