Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

New chain wears out in three weeks. What!

On my Trek Domane with a Shimano 50/34 compact,105 GS derailleur I mounted a Shimano XT CS-M8000 cassette with a Wolf Tooth Road Link and Shimano Ultegra XT CN-HG701-11 Chain, 116 links. Those are all the proper or correctly matched and new parts. (All brand new.)

Three weeks into riding I took it in for a shift adjustment as it had been shifting rough, especially on the mid-cassette. Upon checking by my trusted and longtime expert mechanic he said the chain was worn out.

What do you think the deal is?

I will probably know “more” tomorrow but was curious on other’s take.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What was worn out about it? Was it elongated or something else?

What kind of cassette ratios? Do you cross chain a lot?
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

A wheelist
    The chain was not worn out. Unless you're riding thousands of miles per week it can't be. My last chain went for over three years (not weeks) and 11,000 miles.

How did the "trusted and longtime expert mechanic" measure the chain? With one of those stupid Park chain measuring tools I could make a brand new chain read "worn out".

An unscrupulous or ignorant shop mechanic could sell a lot of chains if they used one of those.

Use a steel ruler. Measure 24 links (12"). If the chain has grown more than 1/16" it really is worn out.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    The chain was not worn out. Unless you're riding thousands of miles per week it can't be. My last chain went for over three years (not weeks) and 11,000 miles.

How did the "trusted and longtime expert mechanic" measure the chain? With one of those stupid Park chain measuring tools I could make a brand new chain read "worn out".

An unscrupulous or ignorant shop mechanic could sell a lot of chains if they used one of those.

Use a steel ruler. Measure 24 links (12"). If the chain has grown more than 1/16" it really is worn out.
    I'd like to know how to do that. I've used chain checkers for years and was never able to get it to show that anything but a well worn chain was out of spec.

Measuring the length of the chain tells you nothing about the rollers, and the rollers are what actually wear the cogs.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Measuring the length of the chain tells you nothing about the rollers, and the rollers are what actually wear the cogs.
    I don't mess with success. The method of cleaning, lubing and measuring chains that I use works perfectly for me. Measuring for length is a widely accepted way of checking for chain wear. I'm into the 6th year on my #1 bike and it's on its 2nd chain and original cogs and rings.

Even Park Tool, the makers of some of these measuring devices, says this on their repair page -

"Another ballpark method for checking chain wear is by measuring it with a ruler. Pick a rivet and line it up at the zero mark. Count 23 more rivets and your last rivet should be at the 12” mark of your ruler. If it is off by more than 1/16” your chain is stretched to the point of replacement."
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I'd like to know how to do that. I've used chain checkers for years and was never able to get it to show that anything but a well worn chain was out of spec.

Campag's method.

Get a decent digital caliper. Set it to 132.60mm. Try and insert the reversed tines between chain rollers (should be 6 links ). If it goes in, replace the chain. Campag's 132.6 number is a bit conservative, can probably push it to 132.7.

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...ev02_08_16.pdf

I've heard strange freak stories of getting 11,000 miles on a chain. Never been able to do it, not even close. Ever. Mike T must be 130lbs soaking wet and ride in pristine air.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Mike T must be 130lbs soaking wet and ride in pristine air.
    Don't be ridiculous and insulting. I'm 175 ****ing pounds and every one of my miles is documented.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've cooked chains in less time. That was kind of the perfect storm of vacation time in the mountains, wet gravel roads and being in really good shape though. Power and hills are a huge factor and off course gravel or stone dust flying around ain't good.

I doubt your is worn, but it is possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Don't be ridiculous and insulting. I'm 175 ****ing pounds and every one of my miles is documented.
    130 pounds is insulting on a cycling forum? Not sure how you'd figure that. I'd see it as such on meatheadweightlifter.com but not a cycling forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    On my Trek Domane with a Shimano 50/34 compact,105 GS derailleur I mounted a Shimano XT CS-M8000 cassette with a Wolf Tooth Road Link and Shimano Ultegra XT CN-HG701-11 Chain, 116 links. Those are all the proper or correctly matched and new parts. (All brand new.)

Three weeks into riding I took it in for a shift adjustment as it had been shifting rough, especially on the mid-cassette. Upon checking by my trusted and longtime expert mechanic he said the chain was worn out.

I don't get Mike T numbers from my chains but I don't think I could wear one out in 3 weeks even if I used sand for lube. Bad shifting would not lead me to suspect the chain. Are there any unusual conditions here?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    "Three weeks" is irrelevant. How many miles and what conditions? Riding a 300+ miles a week, in the rain, at the beach, without lube might do it in three weeks.
    Normal riding conditions? Inconceivable.

Ask your super mechanic how he determined the chain was worn. Insist to see the "worn" chain and measure it yourself with a ruler.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

I don't like running that set up.

I prefer using an XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur and removing the road link and adding a woolftooth tanpan.

This gives you the clutch which keeps the chain taught in your big/small gears and prevents chain slap.

That 105 rear derailleur doesn't have the spring power and you'll eventually drop your chain off the front chain ring.

New chain wears out in three weeks. What!-img_1982.jpg

I tried what you are running and it dropped chains, especially fast downhills because the RD couldn't take up the slack.

New chain wears out in three weeks. What!-img_1884.jpg
    Last edited by factory feel; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:22 AM.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I've heard strange freak stories of getting 11,000 miles on a chain.
    I've done it.

147 lbs, don't mash/cross-chain much, only ride on dry asphalt, use a quality lube, wipe the chain after every ride...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mark Beaumont just went around the world in 78.5 days. 18,000km, he used up 3 chains, so 6,000km each. sounds about right to me

I wore out a chain, a chainring and a cassette in about 250km this past year. but that is on a mtn bike and it took 8 months and maybe 50 hours of riding
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Supplemental info to OP:

The weather and roads are perfect here. The number of rides on the new set up are six rides in three weeks. Total miles 250.

The gearing on the new cassette is 11-40t.

I know of numerous, well more than a couple of people, that have no problem with the exact same setup as mine.

Hopefully today I will get more info.

Personally, I think there was possibly something done incorrectly in the setup or because of certain traits I noticed the chain, despite specs, was possibly too loose.

Regarding the Wolf Tooth Tan Pan option comment by member factory feel I wasn't aware of that until after the choice and installation of my current setup. Now that I know about it I certainly see the merits of it as an option.

Banned forever.....or not
    Sounds like your trusted and longtime expert mechanic isn't so "expert" after all. I put on an "insane" amount of miles on my chain before the pitch started to get close to the limit. I expected that my main training cassette was worn, but when I installed a new chain, I had no skipping..........("insane" means that I can't tell you because everyone would say that I'm lying)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is an assumption in this thread that the "wear" reported is 100% "chain stretch" type. But what the mechanic might be seeing is a loss of lateral stiffness or something else that is causing poor shifting. The usual type of chain wear causes skipping rather than shifting problems.

Since when is a 105 GS derailleur with a 32t max cog limit "correctly matched" with a 40t cassette?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Supplemental info to OP:

The weather and roads are perfect here. The number of rides on the new set up are six rides in three weeks. Total miles 250.
    250mi in good riding conditions? Heck the factory lube isn't even worn off yet.
    Impossible to be worn out.

Personally, I think there was possibly something done incorrectly in the setup or because of certain traits I noticed the chain, despite specs, was possibly too loose.
    What do you mean by "too loose"? Do you mean too long? That wouldn't cause the chain to wear out. It just causes derailleur/shift issues in the small/small combination.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since when is a 105 GS derailleur with a 32t max cog limit "correctly matched" with a 40t cassette?
    As detailed in the setup previously...A Shimano 105 GS derailleur is perfectly matched to an 11 speed Shimano XT CT MS-8000 cassette when a Wolflink Road link is attached to the hanger on one end and the derailleur at the other.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As detailed in the setup previously...A Shimano 105 GS derailleur is perfectly matched to an 11 speed Shimano XT CT MS-8000 cassette when a Wolflink Road link is attached to the hanger on one end and the derailleur at the other.
    I hadn't realized what the Wolf Link was. That looks like a good place to develop sloppy shifting - have you checked whether the Link is allowing lateral play?

RoadBikeReview Member
    the Wolf link works great with my Ultegra. Shifts are same as before, silky snappy typical Ultegra, still better than the Red10 I used before. Though the chain bounces around a lot, which doesn't cause trouble, and I'd like to switch to a clutch type some day. The link is mounted rigid to the frame, so why would you suggest it adds sloppiness?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    the Wolf link works great with my Ultegra. Shifts are same as before, silky snappy typical Ultegra, still better than the Red10 I used before. Though the chain bounces around a lot, which doesn't cause trouble, and I'd like to switch to a clutch type some day. The link is mounted rigid to the frame, so why would you suggest it adds sloppiness?
    If the bolts get loose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    What was worn out about it? Was it elongated or something else?

What kind of cassette ratios? Do you cross chain a lot?
    worn out to me means the links have stretched and i can't believe that's remotely possible in such a time frame

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nobody's suggested checking hanger alignment yet?

With an extended hanger I'd have thought it especially important.

One symptom of poor alignment is bad shifting.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Nobody's suggested checking hanger alignment yet?

With an extended hanger I'd have thought it especially important.

One symptom of poor alignment is bad shifting.
    I thought I had.

Quote Originally Posted by trek 5200
    worn out to me means the links have stretched and i can't believe that's remotely possible in such a time frame
    No, a chain can be "worn out" in more than one way. Under normal circumstances we only worry about one kind of wear, but 3 weeks isn't normal circumstances, so it makes sense to broaden our thinking to other kinds of wear.

Ever seen a chain that keeps breaking? That's a kind of wear, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast